The Smiler

th13teen

I read something on TST which may explain the cause of the delay (or, at the very least, contributed to it). Here's the post my member 'Dar'

I did, however, find these two notices served on the Smiler's construction company in October last year.Linky link

They are Immediate Prohibition Notices, meaning an inspector has found something that they think will result in serious injury if allowed to be done.

The description of the activity for both notices reads:

PN - Failure to provide trench supports, box's or battering to ensure that the sewer pipe trench (or part of it) did not collapse.

PN - Failure to provide supports or battering to ensure that the faces of sections of the main excavation (or part of it) at the site of the new ride did not collapse.

This would go some way to explain the delay. They would have had to find a different way to excavate the areas that would satisfy the inspector and then complete the new work. Of course no work could be done while these notices were in effect!

Does beg the question of how they could have overlooked these, they seem like simple things to get done.

"Digging a hole? We better make sure the sides don't fall in on us!"
"Nah, leave it. It'll be right"?

So it seems that the "we need to blame someone" camp can aim their vitriol at the groundworks company. tongue.gif

Source - http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/planning-portal-and-the-smiler/(the-smiler)-construction-updates-and-ride-speculation-part-2/180/

If your thoery is correct, and sadly I think you'll be let down, then this secret element won't be a world's first. Synchronising trains as they leave the lifts already happens on Vampire.

Well vampire is designed to be dueling and The Smiler clearly is with similar elements after both lifthills. I don't believe this has been done elsewhere. I would be happy if this was the secret element tbh, I can't see what else they could do tbh!

14 inversions seems pretty significant to me, you've seen virtually all the track there is to see so I highly doubt we'll see any more surprises....

The washing machine stuff was just pure speculation that came out of the Alton Towers forums as a way of Alton beating the inversion record....obviously at that point the full plans had yet to be revealed.

I hope it's something more than just an inversion record. For me personally it isn't that exciting. Colossus, yes...

Don't ask me what exactly I AM expecting though as I have no idea, I haven't given it that much thought :P But yeah, something more unique than an inversion record.