Guest thorpe101

Your Thorpe Park

The airtime in the back car of Stealth at the top of that top hat might be my favourite sensation in Thorpe Park so I'd not want to lose that.

I honestly think that 'solving' Thorpe Park for me wouldn't be a matter of adding loads, but more a matter of maintaining what they DO have and then building on it:

Stage 1: Realistic clean-up

Clean and paint Nemesis Inferno's track to the more vibrant maroon colour it began with.

Repaint Colossus, buy new and more comfortable trains.

Clean-up, fix and reopen Loggers Leap.

General park wide clean-up.

Stage 2: slightly less realistic improvements

Retool Derren Brown Ghost Train to remove the Derren Brown IP and change the story to a more cohesive one. Set the entire story in the Victorian era and make it about a haunted train yard. Feature more ghosts in the VR and return the train crash middle albeit with Victorian carriages instead.

Add more buildings and theming around the Ghost Train to make the area more immersive.

Make Rumba Rapids more fun. It's incredibly dull and I'd love to improve the ride.. somehow. 

Build a new GCI wooden coaster on the land between Swarm and Stealth, linking the two islands.

10 hours ago, JoshC. said:

One thing which I think Thorpe should consider is turning Stealth's top hat upside down.

I'm being deadly serious here. Though no doubt very difficult and rather costly, I'm sure it's not outside the realm of possibility, and within a similar budget to some of the park's other crazy investments.

But from a marketing standpoint, it's an absolute win. You get a new ride experience to market. You get a world record of the highest upside moment on a roller coaster - a meaningless record, but something a lot of people would lap up. You can do a mrawS with it, and if/when the novelty wears off and they lose the record, change the track back.

And from a ride experience point, it's pretty damn good too. Inverted top hats are fun. And hanging upside down at 200ft would be great. The view you get at the top of Stealth is decent, but nothing to exactly scream about.

So yes, it's a crazy idea which is partially inspired by the park's philosophy of world records and instant returns. But I genuinely reckon Thorpe should look down that route and do it if it's possible.

you'd need new supports which would defeat the whole reason it got a minimal support structure

you'd probably need the radius to be wider to fit the train on the inside of the track

I'm pretty certain it couldn't physically happen without tearing down most of the track and changing the launch power etc at which point they might as well start a new coaster from scratch

On 1/18/2019 at 8:03 AM, holtjammy16 said:

you'd need new supports which would defeat the whole reason it got a minimal support structure

you'd probably need the radius to be wider to fit the train on the inside of the track

I'm pretty certain it couldn't physically happen without tearing down most of the track and changing the launch power etc at which point they might as well start a new coaster from scratch

some of y’all really need to buy a sarcasm detector huh 

That’s bonestly such a pity really, because there’s so many things they could clearly do at the park.

Like Turn Colossus trains backwards, make Vortex and Rush do a whole 360 and whilst we’re at it, rebuild Phantom Fantasia.

2020: Loggers leap is replaced with an Intamin water coaster that simulates the former rides layout an indoor drop but with a banked turn and large saw cutter near miss and splash down, a helix drop surrounding a native American totem similair to before and splash down and meandering around to a replica of loggers former double dip drop and returns to the station to make it more appealing in colder weather free waterproof macks are on offer as long as they are returned 

A new flat ride replaces slammer and this ride now gives Canada creek more appeal and appeases the loss of Loggers Leap with the princess Diana Memorial plaque remaining

2021: Rumba rapids is rethemed god knows it needs an update and general upkeep needs to be the priority parkwide

2022: A new coaster and flat ride to open on the island behind swarm giving the park a much needed buzz

I'd shut the place down. It's gone downhill for a very long time now (markedly since 2013ish) and it's showing. This year was the year they announced the closure of Loggers Leap, let's hope next year is the year they announce the closure of Thorpe Park. It won't be missed in its current state and I doubt any staff working there care enough about a group of people known as customers for us to think it will improve.

Cleaning a ride isn't an achievement. Changing a sponsor isn't news. Closing a ride isn't something to be laughed at. Long wait times and overselling of fast track isn't something to be applauded. Opening a bouncy castle and upcharge attraction and considering it worthy of a visit to the park is commendable in how stupid you think we are and then responding with sarcastic gifs to add insult to injury.

If someone can point out 1 new positive thing about the park introduced after 2013 I'd be surprised. Most good points about the park come pre-2013.

Luckily for us, there is a GP journalist who had the fortune (for us) to be caught up in October's half term FN failure and will be publishing an article on Merlin's greed (he/she supposedly writes for The Mirror). Soon enough customers will realise just how short changed they've been and very quickly we will see the GP vote with their feet catching up with the enthusiasts and then will we see real pressure on the park to change (or more preferably close down).

Link to guy claiming to have a journalist friend:

https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/thorpe-park-general-discussion.8/page-290

I am all for the public waking up to Merlin's dominant position in the market and forcing change on the company but negative press attention won't bring about that change. As people go elsewhere Varneys nonsensical business strategy kicks in where he treats the exercise as damage control and limits spending. 

The best way I see the parks getting better is Varney being kicked out and that will not happen while the shareholders and the board support him. What is needed is a a potential successor to be on the board while confidence is destroyed in his leadership. Unfortunately its an unlikely scenario. 

A likely change heading our way is an increase in competitors quality and new competition popping up. I think an unexpected consequence of the death of the high street will be the rise of smaller attractions taking advantage of reduced rent in large empty shops and warehouses. A market that Merlin will likely end up being pioneers of. Hopefully it results in improvements to the resorts as they end up competing with new comers, improving smaller parks and even themselves as they try and attract people out of cities. 

2 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

It won't be missed in its current state and I doubt any staff working there care enough about a group of people known as customers for us to think it will improve.

Oh don't be so melodramatic.

Plenty of the rides will be missed at the very least. And there are plenty of staff there who care.

If someone can point out 1 new positive thing about the park introduced after 2013 I'd be surprised. Most good points about the park come pre-2013.

1) X:\No Way Out to X retheme

2) Big Top (2016/17 versions)

3) Ghost Train at it's prime was genuinely hailed as a fantastic experience

4) The uniqueness of Swarm backwards (and the sensibility to reverse that decision when the fad died away)

5) IMA Score

Again, don't be so melodramatic.

Luckily for us, there is a GP journalist who had the fortune (for us) to be caught up in October's half term FN failure and will be publishing an article on Merlin's greed (he/she supposedly writes for The Mirror). Soon enough customers will realise just how short changed they've been and very quickly we will see the GP vote with their feet catching up with the enthusiasts and then will we see real pressure on the park to change (or more preferably close down).

That post was made in October. If it was real and was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

36 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

That post was made in October. If it was real and was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

They claim to have received a VIP entry. I'm guessing that means they'll receive it in the 2019 season (as they got a reply from the park on the 30th Oct apparently so park closed by then). Obviously they haven't visited the park yet and they didn't reveal when in the year they'll visit the park. Guessing maybe end of 2019/ early 2020 we'll see the article.

And there are plenty of staff there who care.

It would be nicer to see more of these. Still, nice to see your views on the matter.

Again, I was merely mentioning my views on the park if I were in control (good thing I'm not obviously). 

Colour me surprised I didn't think of these.

1) X:\No Way Out to X retheme

2) Big Top (2016/17 versions)

3) Ghost Train at it's prime was genuinely hailed as a fantastic experience

4) The uniqueness of Swarm backwards (and the sensibility to reverse that decision when the fad died away)

5) IMA Score

4 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

If the journalist felt so strongly about their terrible experience, they wouldn't have taken Thorpe's VIP bribe package and agree to not writing an article until after they had their special treatment from the park. Now FN 2018 is long gone with the only negative articles I can see from some youths fighting in the carpark. Nothing negative about the event itself. The Mirror in fact promoted the event.

9 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

They claim to have received a VIP entry. I'm guessing that means they'll receive it in the 2019 season (as they got a reply from the park on the 30th Oct apparently so park closed by then). Obviously they haven't visited the park yet and they didn't reveal when in the year they'll visit the park. Guessing maybe end of 2019/ early 2020 we'll see the article.

Just take a step back and think about what you've said here.

It's November 2019, an article appears in the Daily Mirror: "I had a bad day at Thorpe Park over a year, I went back and had another bad day!" Who will actually care? No one

OR it'll read "I had a bad day at Thorpe Park over a year ago, I went back as a a VIP and had a good!" Again, who will care? No one

Stories like that will be published in the heat of the moment, else they lose all interest and credibility.

New for 2020

The Thorpe Park Dungeon!! - “A Dungeon like no other!”

a 20 minute journey through 500 years of Surrey’s dark history!!

* a separate £10 ticket is required for this attraction

17 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

I mean, this is already happening hence why Thorpe has been completely directionless for years. 

My Thorpe Park would be the following..

2020: Merlin goes bankrupt, Paultons and BPB become the main parks in the UK and the Merlin Parks change ownership.

Prestbury's Secure Income REIT (30% shareholder is Nick Leslau) own the parks, not Merlin who only operate them on a lease. Merlin don't even need to go bankrupt - the parks just need to be unable to pay rent back and PS REIT will then lease the parks to the highest bidder (very good locations, well-known, many established rides so perfect for a company wishing to get a good footing in the UK quickly OR for an investment company to make a quick buck). 

10 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Merlin Parks change ownership

Still, I hope that doesn't happen and instead Merlin actually invest like they're meant to in their parks. Also, new management this year so things could be changing for the better.

6 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

They look like they can't wait to see a fun and creative theme park industry in the future

Oh, they couldn't care less. They just want that £££. When M£rlin stops providing them that £££, they'll rent the parks to someone else that will.

Edit: It appears I missed the sarcasm in @Wumbamillio's post

Anyone who hopes for Merlin to go bankrupt (which isn't going to happen anytime in the distant future) seems to be missing the fact that whoever would buy up their assets would need to be a company of similar size or larger, and so would likely function in a similar way. It wouldn't suddenly mean that all the parks would see masses of investment, the new company would likely behave in a similar manner to Merlin.

People also forget that Merlin's theme parks are not loss-makers, they may make less money than the mid-ways but are not losing money. I would speculate too that they are a strong reason for people to purchase MAPs.

1 hour ago, EpicSmatty said:

Anyone who hopes for Merlin to go bankrupt (which isn't going to happen anytime in the distant future) seems to be missing the fact that whoever would buy up their assets would need to be a company of similar size or larger, and so would likely function in a similar way. It wouldn't suddenly mean that all the parks would see masses of investment, the new company would likely behave in a similar manner to Merlin.

The bankrupt statement was really more of a exaggeration and a joke than anything.. Like Merlin is going to ever go bankrupt? How anyone would take the time to analyse that and respond to like I'm being 100% serious.. If Merlin did go bankrupt they have a million expendable attractions before Thorpe would get the cut. The comment was made because of the current hopeless hole our industry is lying in.. Majority of Merlin Parks are a punchline, you just have to visit Thorpe once to understand that.

The main part I was actually being kinda semi-serious was BPB and Paultons becoming more prominent to give Merlin competition and somewhat knock them off owning the Monopoly..

People also forget that Merlin's theme parks are not loss-makers, they may make less money than the mid-ways but are not losing money. I would speculate too that they are a strong reason for people to purchase MAPs.

No shi* sherlock. Merlin's parks make money, nobody is debating that. They also are a large reason for people buying MAPS, we know.

Anyone who hopes for Merlin to go bankrupt (which isn't going to happen anytime in the distant future) seems to be missing the fact that whoever would buy up their assets would need to be a company of similar size or larger, and so would likely function in a similar way.

Id also say that anyone who buys the parks off Merlin (if the resort theme parks are sold as people want them to, even me in the past) would probably only end up the same situation as Merlin. I'd much rather Merlin changed their attitude, change the way the parks are run and how theyre developed, how they market the parks' futures, than for Merlin to sell them off.

Or at least sell off their RTP division is a new company or something, than flog the parks to highest bidders. Look at what happened when Pearson sold Tussauds, it changed hands few more times, saw underwhelming investment and decine, and ended up with Merlin.

11 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

Id also say that anyone who buys the parks off Merlin (if the resort theme parks are sold as people want them to, even me in the past) would probably only end up the same situation as Merlin. I'd much rather Merlin changed their attitude, change the way the parks are run and how theyre developed, how they market the parks' futures, than for Merlin to sell them off.

Or at least sell off their RTP division is a new company or something, than flog the parks to highest bidders. Look at what happened when Pearson sold Tussauds, it changed hands few more times, saw underwhelming investment and decine, and ended up with Merlin.

I agree with you on that one, I feel Merlin needs some sort of incentive to invest more in their parks but I'm not sure what would cause that. I personally don't feel like the other UK theme parks can compete with Merlin's offerings in the near future, maybe distant future if they had large investments, but they're just not on the same scale as say, Alton Towers is. The London Resort park would be a big competitor if it's ever actually built, but until then, who knows?

RMC/ Woodie replaces Loggers (because they tend to have lower height restrictions so good for families) + put some life into the Old Town area

Intense Intamin Hyper on the new Island

Advertise the smaller attractions as well to families and put some love into the park's cleanliness and looks

Advertise the thrills to teens/ adults

Because those gate numbers need to start rising as profit appears to be declining at this place (which I wouldn't really care about were it not for the fact that it means the park can't buy a new coaster/ rides)

- Replace Angry Birds Land with Goat Simulator Land.

- End every marketing phrase with "Like no other."

- Half paint another rollercoaster.

- Save money and make no investments in new attractions for 2020.

Whatever you do, don't build a Mack Mega launch coaster to rival the likes of Icon or a Mack Xtreme Spinning coaster like Time Traveller but the first in the UK. 😉😉😉

Also, close another attraction permanently but don't replace it.

Thorpe's almost too far gone for me! there's so much I'd want to scrap and start again lol! So much of it isn't my taste anymore.   Thematically and stylistically I'd go for something between Toverland and Hansa Park,  and re-instate a more Nautical aesthetic 

Remodel and extend Rhumba Rapids - using some of land/lakeland area behind it towards the old  treasure island site - It would be super themed and include a drop - and would be the first rapids in the Uk to feature a drop, think infinity falls at Seaworld - but engineered to be not so wet for this British climate!

Scrap tidalwave and build a PULSAR (Walibi Belgium) clone in its place with an old victorian waterworks steampunk/industrial theme. Retheme Stealth to a steampunk, rocket/teslar theme

Get rid of the 4D theatre and install a themed funhouse in its building aka Hotel Tartuf/Fiasco  

Scrap Colossus, walking dead, DBGT and storm surge, samurai, detonator, Angry birds land, jungle escape, Quantum etc etc.

Replace Colossus with a new-gen Vekoma such as Lech coaster! 

Re-theme the old Canada Creek area to 'Sherwood forest' re-open loggers leap, create a medieval village, re-theme SAW to a castles and turrets/torture Chamber theme like Fluch Von Novgorod at Hansa Park, also install a next gen steeplechase coaster themed to jousting, as well as a high ropes course themed to Robin hoods hideout etc. 

Re-theme Swarm to 'dragon-fly' with a huge thatched station - with a much more 'natural' and whimsical themed area, taking inspiration from Toverlands 'Avalon' area and taking advantage of the lakeside setting!

Build an out-and-back B&M hyper-coaster that extends over the bridge and along the the side of the car-park skirting the lake and back - in a similar way Silver star does 

Build an RMC at some point! 

Finally build that hotel on the lakes edge where the old cement works used to be including a waterpark similar to Plopsaqua