THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Is it just me or do alot of people on here overlook the fact that alot of thorpe parks theming is very good? It might not have the beautiful scenary of Alton Towers and some of the other theme parks around but in terms of ride theming they are right up there with the best of them!I think the theming for Colossus, Inferno, and particularly SAW are very good. And I believe this ride will be no exception!

I dont believe you guys. Moaning about the quality of themeing. Have you forgotten SAW?Of course the themeing will not be as good as towers because the location does not allow this. I mean unless a water ride comes in they cannot utilise the location.Loggers leap in my opinion is fantastic. Whereas the location of alton with the"forests etc." means they can do better .

I find it so strange when people rave about SAW. Ok, the building looks ok, but outside is just rubble and inside is not much really, a HUGE missed opportunity. Both SAW and Thirteen are from the same 'cannon' and I think very poor on theming. Raptor so far, is the best thing I have seen from Merlin (hopefully Krake, once we see the detail) in a long time, if not at all. My only bug with LC12 and Thorpe's theming is that once again they're going for the broken down, old, tatty look. Which is basicly them saying, hey lets theme it to look old and tatty and then, we'll never have to worry about it's up keep! Thorpe Park is widely known to be tatty enough as it is.Regardless, the scale of this addition is huge. Not only because it's B&M. A new island, toilets, I just hope they're prepared for the amount of people that will be sqeezing over the new Fish bridge to the island!

I dont believe you guys. Moaning about the quality of themeing. Have you forgotten SAW?Of course the themeing will not be as good as towers because the location does not allow this. I mean unless a water ride comes in they cannot utilise the location.Loggers leap in my opinion is fantastic. Whereas the location of alton with the"forests etc." means they can do better .

What does that mean, "the location won't allow it" Thorpe is completely flat, essentially a blank canvas. Like you use Loggers Leap but ignoring the fact the building is wooden and it plays western music, the theming is pretty much non-existant.Could you build upon the idea that because Alton is in a forest it can theme rides better please. Don't quite follow what you mean by that. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or do alot of people on here overlook the fact that alot of thorpe parks theming is very good? It might not have the beautiful scenary of Alton Towers and some of the other theme parks around but in terms of ride theming they are right up there with the best of them!I think the theming for Colossus, Inferno, and particularly SAW are very good. And I believe this ride will be no exception!

You’re right I have been to loads of parks, yes some are better e.g. Europa Park and Universal. However Thorpe is way above Six Flags and many other parks all they have mainly are "Car Park coasters", my parents complain about the lack of theming in Six Flags compared to Thorpe. Also with the ruin down theme if it’s a one they can do best and also is more market appealing to Teenagers than I don’t know fantasy castles and Space (which has been overdone) then Thorpe are clearly going to use the more market appelaing, there a business you know there appealing to the mass not niche (some of us).

Why can smaller parks theme their rides better than Merlin though?They should have less budget, yet we get things like Fluch von Novgorod, Mystery Mine, Raptor Attack... Hell even Troublesome Trucks is more themed than Saw...

Well TP can theme their rides as well as those listed, they real question is why they don't. I just don't think there is enough drive to really place any strong emphasis on the theme any more. If the vast majority of visitors don't really care too much about good theming and stories (or notice them when they appear) and there aren't any huge parks down the road threatening to steal punters, then there is no strong incentive to go balls out like Hansa park or Dollywood do.Dave

Well TP can theme their rides as well as those listed, they real question is why they don't. I just don't think there is enough drive to really place any strong emphasis on the theme any more. If the vast majority of visitors don't really care too much about good theming and stories (or notice them when they appear) and there aren't any huge parks down the road threatening to steal punters, then there is no strong incentive to go balls out like Hansa park or Dollywood do.Dave

I agree with this comment and btw to everyone the decision for the planning is likely to be made on the 1st, 2nd, 21st, or 22nd of april.

• 3 weeks later...

So we could find out if planning has been granted within days. Very exciting. Anyone else noticed that over at RCDB.com, they have recorded that LC12 will have 5 inversions! Sorry if this has already been mentioned, only it has been a while since this topic has been active. Looking at the plans I can only see 4.

Either way, I'm looking forward to LC12, especially if it a 4D coaster. I think Thorpe are finally going to pull their finger out thinking they can just pass rides off as 'good attempts' with the lack of theming. I believe Thorpe will change things around, £18m in a coaster, a high budget! Also, if this fails, it is still a very large coasters AND for another thing there's the next coaster as well 2015 I believe which is slightly smaller, BUT STILL OVER 100FT. So either way, I'm happy, I just think most things need a refurb and a bit more theming added. Thorpe have the budget and money, so they should, hopefully they will see sense if the theming proves fantastic on LC12 with the GP response and will add more to their current rides.

Indeed, Merlin take into account all associated funding for the entire project, whether that is marketing, PR stunts... anything that's to do with the ride until the thing opens to the public. From what I've heard though, the funding for the infilling is a totally separate budget.It's still a large amount of money though, enough to do the ride justice hopefully.

the money for infilling must be seperate and was done in one hit- after Saw:the ride was built they dug out the outer side of the lake and added to the main island (more from the outside than added to the inside due to regulation about the usage of the lakes) and its al been pretty much finished now- just hope that as its all had time to settle the rides wont sink at all

so so true. Plus just look at what Thorpe are doing- they started as more of a family park with defined areas and now they are going for a smaller target group they are trying to move away from some of the areas (I.e ranger county, neptunes beach) and trying to replace them with rides that are more exciting but all the time they are being added into areas (I.e Stealth and now Storm Surge being added to Amity Cove) they need to try and fit new rides in with old themes- its not always that easy. so people should pay a little more attention and aprechiate the effort made, specialy as there is a some what lack of space to develop thorpe

Out of interest, show me a fantastic piece of theming at Thorpe that isn't just an iconic part of a ride but is just there to envoke a mood.To help you along heres a picture which isn't part of a ride but part of a restraunt. It's probably so overlooked because its so subtle...Posted ImageYes it is from Chessington, but show me a few bit's of Thorpe theming to convince me that their theming is up there with the best of them.(Also using Tidal wave gas tanker and water tank will fail you because they no longer work. ;) )