THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

£20 million! ;) Now they have no excuse but to theme it to a high quality like Raptor ;). Also, Raptor's top speed is 55 MPH so I'm expecting a top speed of around the 60 MPH mark with LC12 as it is 30 ft higher and the drop is much steeper.Very excited for this :(.

The £20M figure is probably for the entire project, including all related buildings and infrastructure. It's the first time Merlin have had to create a new "land" as such, with toilet facilities, retail and food outlets.From the plans, it does look to have the "old school" mantra of having the coaster interact with paths and non- riders, although Raptor appears to have more physical scenic objects throughout the ride. I will be disappointed if we get a ride that is not up to the same standard set by Raptor. Exciting times for Thorpe these next 12 months though. I love following construction. :)

Why disappointed? 130 ft is the height of the average rollercoaster in the states. Height is not everything to be honest :).

The £20M figure is probably for the entire project, including all related buildings and infrastructure. It's the first time Merlin have had to create a new "land" as such, with toilet facilities, retail and food outlets.

I heard the island construction is a separate budget for LC12's budget. Suppose you are right about the infrastructure adding to the budget.

I see where you're coming from; maybe the fact you were being spun here, there and everywhere had something to do with that?

Yes. :(

Really? Does Nemesis and Inferno make your legs feel painful? I love inverted style coasters where your legs dangle!!!

Inferno is different, the actual ride isn't as crazy as X or X2.

Yes! ;)I think it'll be **** whatever it is. Thorpe, please prove me wrong. :)

Just thinking out loud here. The theming on paper does look immense and with the initial budget it has right now, I'm hopeful. But just thinking about the concept of "Urban Devastation", it didn't really lend itself to a story line. What I mean is, some other rides have a story line which justify/explain the journey that the ride takes you on:

• Nemesis - the track is used to restrain the Monster they found.
  • Stealth - race track
  • Rita in the dark forest - escaping the curse (only to do several turns back on yourself and return to the exact same place, genius :) )
  • Saw The Ride - jigsaw testing to see if you deserve to live.
Ideas for a storyline? I mean it's not like they can say we are the passengers aboard the plane that crashes on the first drop... Short ride :( and I'm not an expert on plane crashes (just alot of air crash investigation viewing) but I'm pretty sure if you've crashed in a Boeing, they don't then bounce up into a zero G and then into a helix. Just saying.

Why disappointed? 130 ft is the height of the average rollercoaster in the states. Height is not everything to be honest :).I heard the island construction is a separate budget for LC12's budget. Suppose you are right about the infrastructure adding to the budget.

Yeah but it's just the proposed height was meant to be bigger and I prefer bigger personally!But I can imagine Thorpe said the budget for the ride is 20M but the entire project for the land as well includes that, I agree with whoever said to make it sound more impressive. I've still got my hopes up on the seats spinning either way!

I do believe it stated on the plans somewhere that the 'up to 50m coaster' (that was stated to be on island C) could be built in 2015 (in either island A or C) and that this coaster is actually just going to be the 'up to 40m coaster'.But either way, height doesn't mean that much when it comes to most rides...

In my view I dont talk about Raptor because I know between now and when LC12 opens, I will be riding LC12 first so I'm more interested in LC12. This is because I know I won't have the money etc to be able to get to Italy. So I won't dwell in what I wont be riding and rather look towards something I can and will be riding.