THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Yeah I agree with Ricky here, Raptor is a lovely little ride but I know I won't be going anywhere near it in the near future and LC12 is something that I will be going on many times next year. I would get excited over any Thorpe project more than I would any Gardaland project purely because Thorpe is my local theme park.Also, this is a THORPE PARK forum, therefore of course more interest is going to be generated over a ride at this park then a ride abroad.

I concur with Ricky and Ryan. Sure Raptor looks lovely, but unless you're a diehard fan of looking at photos of coasters and getting excited knowing you're probably not going to ride it anytime soon, then it's going to attract little interest compared to something that is incoming and looking more realistic that you'll actually be able to experience. I do like Raptor, it does look amazing, but all it is to me are photos and videos, because I have no intent to go all the way to Italy to solely ride on Raptor, or even visit Gardaland as a whole. Whereas Thorpe Park is not too far away, and I have visited there in the past and I intend to continue visiting in the future, therefore any project that's going to hit Thorpe Park is going to immediately have me more interested than a project hitting Parc D'Asterix, Europa Park, Gardaland or pretty much any park that I have not visited in the past. Sure I'd get excited about Disney World/Florida projects even though I haven't been there in 5 years, I've been there 12 times in my life and intend to revisit as soon as I can. However I'm doubtful that I'd be more interested in them than I would be in any Merlin UK project since I do visit Chessington, Thorpe Park and Alton Towers at least once a year, therefore anything new hitting those parks are going to have immediate interest to me because I will be curious about a ride that I will be riding on in the future.

Ok, so basically because something isn't likely to be ridden in the future I shouldn't be excited?Sorry Cars Land, Insane, Alpengeist, Black Diamond, Cheetah Hunt, Starry Night Ripper, Blue Fire, Dizz and Van Helsing's Factory, you just can't hold my attention anymore since I'm not gonna be riding you in the near future...Do whatever, but the fact is that there's at least something more interesting to talk about with Raptor (which should be of interest considering it's the same ride type of LC12 ANYWAYS), then a pile of island dirt being moulded... :)

In my eyes, there's not much - for me - to discuss about either of them.Raptor - everything looks amazing. The ride seems just amazing. Everything seems to flow so well. Yeah, I could spend a couple of hours trolling through the internet to try and find what I think is a flaw, but that's just way to time consuming. Basically, what I'm getting at, is Raptor looks incredible. But I can't discuss it further than that. I can say, it looks amazing, seems amazing, etc. But what use is that to a discussion? Practically nothing. Sure, I can look at it, add the additional comment / info, but that's it really.LC12 - I know more about it, so I'd be able to 'chip in' a little more for discussions, be it with facts or something else. But at the moment it is dirt - just dirt. What else can I discuss? Nothing. So yeah, I can't really discuss either of them, but I'll post more in the LC12 topic, because that's what I know more about.To be honest, when it comes to the stage in life where people I being told what should and shouldn't be talked about, I just don't bother either way...

So your telling me I should be excited for and look forward to something I actually won't be riding? Because clearly that could cause problems... ''OHHH, LOOK A NEW COASTER I CANNOT WAIT TO GO ON IT, ITS GOING TO BE SOO MUCH FUN I WONT BE GOING ON IT FOR A FEW YEARS BUT HEY HO''Why get your hopes up and get excited over something that wont be happening? If I had a planned trip to Gardaland next month then yeh sure id be excited but as I have no plans I will not be exciting over anything.

Well considering Raptor IS THE SAME RIDE TYPE AS LC12 then maybe you should show some more interest in the reviews of people...Why is it wrong to be interested in other projects away from home? So what if I don't get to go on it for years if at all, what if it's a World's First ride? Even if it was only pictures watching TTD get built was amazing to see, same goes for a few other rides like Tatsu, Kingda Ka, World of Colour, Cars Land, Starry Night Ripper and many more I don't care to mention cos I'd be here all night...The point is, not only is there more to life than Staines, but just because you're not going on a ride in the near future doesn't mean it can't be an exciting development and should warrant more attention than it's getting compared to a pile of dirt...

Woops, looks like I opened a can of worms here. :) You see, I agree with Ricky here, But I'm also on Benin's side becuase I feel that if you just limit yourself to discuss just the local parks (or parks you may visit soon) then we end up with endless discussions about things like what Dragons Fury's throughput is (I've posted about three times in the Fury topic alone what its throughput is for example). The beauty of Gardaland's Wing-rider is that the same company is building two similar rides in quick succession. The only times we've seen that in the UK is with Rita/Stealth and Fury/Spinball. It's almost irrelevant that Raptor is in italy because we should be taking a small interest in Raptor because it's a possible indication of what Merlin will be doing with LC12. I guess it's kind of makes the difference between a 'fanboy' and a ride enthusiast. During the closed season I was watching all these rides opening up everywhere such as Hair raiser, Cheetah hunt, Raptor, Krake, Starry Eyed-Ripper, watching Intimadator 305 being retracked and taking a keen interest in Drayton Manor's new rollercoaster because I like rides and the idea that one day I may be lucky enough to go on them. It's irrelevant that I'll probably never ride that awesome woodie in China, but because I like rides I take an interest in whats happening.And not just what Thorpe plan to do with a cheap little rubber ring ride they imported from Cypress Gardens.

What an odd debate this is.Surely it stands to reason that THORPE PARK discussion will massively dwarf discussion of other parks on here..? That doesn't mean people think any the less of rides in other parks, but this is a THORPE PARK forum and therefore that will always generate more talk!As for LC12, I am looking forward to seeing it go up over the next 12 months. Raptor looks very tasty, so this should be similar!:)

Raptor looks REALLY great. I really hope Thorpe can deliver a ride as this and as extensively themed as this. Does anyone happen to know how the contracts for the construction of new rollercoasters such as LC12 work? Do thorpe park pay B&M for just the track and they pay another contractor to construct the ride? Or is it B&M who actually build the ride?If it's not B&M does anyone know who actually puts the ride up and what the sort of budget split there is between ride hardware and construction costs? :)

Just to throw my bit in here.. Many members on this forum are fairly young and under 25 (right?), so I understand some yet, havent got the ability to travel to other parks. This is SCREAMED at me everytime someone makes an excuse (for example) how shocking Storm Surge is, or Thorpe in general.If more people had been experiencing better parks, then this forum would die! I myself, find it odd if someone raves about something, yet have nothing to compare that too..In anycase, with Raptor open, we can see that Merlin can after all, pull out all the stops and so fingers crossed we'll see the same from LC12.When track starts arriving during September, the UK can once again, start getting excited. ;-))

Just to throw my bit in here.. Many members on this forum are fairly young and under 25 (right?), so I understand some yet, havent got the ability to travel to other parks. This is SCREAMED at me everytime someone makes an excuse (for example) how shocking Storm Surge is, or Thorpe in general.If more people had been experiencing better parks, then this forum would die! I myself, find it odd if someone raves about something, yet have nothing to compare that too..In anycase, with Raptor open, we can see that Merlin can after all, pull out all the stops and so fingers crossed we'll see the same from LC12.When track starts arriving during September, the UK can once again, start getting excited. ;-))

September..... is that confirmed or just a guess? (just wondering :) )

You did. Construction starts in May, track arrives in September.

Excellent news. Looks like by Fright Nights we will have something to gawk over.

Ideas for a storyline?

To be honest I don't think they are going to go with a story line. A number of times JW has mentioned that the average member of the public doesn't need or want story-lines any more (something I deeply disagree with), but I think that this is the current UK prevailing thought. I think they just go for a theme rather than a story. 13 is a perfect example of this. Opening day we were all looking for the story. The tale of the girl who ventured into the woods alone. Basically it wasn't there. It was just a theme, without a detailed back story. Even Raptor doesn't really have a back story, just a theme. Sometimes I think that maybe I am the only person in the world that wishes that there was reason that you are being tested by saw, or why you are riding around shooting things in dual. Something that brings you as a rider into the story something with an emotive hook, where you feel that you are important to the ride, rather than being just a way to get a quick injection of adrenalin.

Storyline: Thorpe park put another ride, barely themed in the concrete jungle. Honestly I'm kinda expecting more than that, I want Thorpe to succeed on this one. Fingers crossed!

Oh come on, I don't understand where all this lack of Theming talk comes from! The only rollercoasters at TP that has only a small amount of theming is Stealth and X. Inferno is one of the best themed inverted coasters in Europe (When the volcano works!), Colossus has some amazing aztec sculptures and buildings, and SAW is one of the best themed rides in the UK period!If we are going to talk about lack of theming on rollercoasters, then visit Alton Towers and tell me how Air, Oblivion, Sonik Spinball and Rita compare!?!?

I've been asked to quote my original post again. Last time AdamY came up with the Colossus fountain and that was it. Anyone else want to have a go at showing some genuinely outstanding theming that works.

Out of interest, show me a fantastic piece of theming at Thorpe that isn't just an iconic part of a ride but is just there to envoke a mood.To help you along heres a picture which isn't part of a ride but part of a restraunt. It's probably so overlooked because its so subtle...Posted ImageYes it is from Chessington, but show me a few bit's of Thorpe theming to convince me that their theming is up there with the best of them.(Also using Tidal wave gas tanker and water tank will fail you because they no longer work. :) )

I want Thorpe to succeed on this one. Fingers crossed!

OK sorry, but your comment makes it sound like the past few additions have not succeeded!I think we can expect the same quality of theming on LC12 as we have seen more recently on SAW, but on a much larger scale. Its all very exciting!

Funny wernt we all having a discussion that merlin would never make a big ride with no storyline a few months back.

And THIS has a storyline?Aside from the probable obvious "Stuff's going down, you need to escape blah, blah, blah" (Not a Thorpe based dig, but worldwide)...

Saw: Theming breaks etc etc

All the theming works the vast majority of the time, I can only think of the very odd occasion when one part of themings not working..

Stealth: Severe lack of theming

Agree, but IMO the ride does the talking on this one so it dont really need it unlike others..