Nemesis Inferno: The Ultimate Test

thorpeparkjack

Nemesis Inferno: The Ultimate Test  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Inferno or SAW?

2. 2. Inferno or Stealth?

3. 3. Inferno or Colossus?

Why is Inferno the Best Coaster at Thorpe Park - By BeninNemesis Inferno has a problem, what with the selection of name, it already directly references the more famous and better Nemesis at Alton Towers. But of course, being a B&M Inverted still doesn't make you awful, the purpose of this point is to investigate why Inferno is the best ride on the park today.Firstly, the theming and atmosphere of the ride is very well done. Tussauds knew how to do interaction, whilst we can see this with Colossus and Stealth as well (though Stealth's interaction is more of a plonked down on flat tarmac approach), Inferno's is on the same level as Colossus, with both pathways and queues going around and under the layout allowing all to be involved underneath. What can edge it here for Inferno, is the extra effects (when working), allow an extra dimension to the experience that Colossus cannot as it lacks effects, instead solely focusing on the ride. And Saw has no interaction with the path or queue save for the first drop and inversion, so that's out.Theming, like all at Thorpe is sporadic at best. Inferno's case here lacks the back end of a volcano. However, where done it does have a decent level of theming, like the others really, once again when it comes to theming at Thorpe it's very much a smaller thing, rather than something that MAKES the ride. The volcano is probably the best themed icon in the park though, better than the flat panelled warehouse on the opposite end of the park.Music again competes with Colossus, as the other two use external music which while suitable to each, will not be included in the results here due to lack of 'creativity' from the park. Both Inferno's and Colossus' themes are brilliant, and suit their own rides perfectly. The edge again might go to Inferno because it is unique to the ride and park, whereas Colossus can also be found at Heide Park.And of course, the rides. Hard to compare them directly as each one is different in vast quantities and qualities. However, Inferno is the smoothest ride on the park, followed by Fish, then Stealth. One of the most common complaints from Saw and Colossus is the head-bashing suffered from guests. Countless headaches and pains have been experienced across the boards and forums which for this post means Inferno is certainly better than Saw and Colossus before even getting into the nitty-gritty of the ride experience.Inferno also provides a fair bit of true intensity into the ride. Like the Batman's where the first part after the lift hill comes from; blacking/greying out occurs regularly at the bottom of the first drop and the vertical loop, something that doesn't happen anywhere else on the park due to g-forces rather than head-bashing. Like it's predeccesor as well, Inferno is quick around the course, allowing little time to breathe, but it also takes it's time around the elements as well, allowing the thrill to be consistent throughout the attraction. Compare that fact to Stealth, and the way in which the thrill there comes from two distinct sections (the launch and the drop back down) and it's clear the Inferno is also the most substantial ride at the park, allowing a mixture of elements in a relatively short space of time with a good start, middle and end. Colossus has a weak ending and becomes excessively repetitive during the ride, and Saw whilst with extended dark ride section, lacks the consistency when outside to complete the job.So in conclusion, Nemesis Inferno is quite clearly, the superior ride at Thorpe Park. For being more consistent, more substantial, more smooth, and more fun than the other 3.

I'd personally go for Inferno although Stealth does come very close on the intensity stakes.One of my favourite things about Inferno if you like, is how quiet it is. Unlike the others which opened to major advertising campagins and set the UK coaster scene on fire (pun not intended), Inferno was like a little flicker of light. It was built with the intention of being back up to Colossus and as time goes on it continues to be the coaster that backs up Stealth, Saw and next years Swarm.I think it's a really nice coaster actually. I think its beginning with the journey through the volcano and the roar of the train is really novel, its layout is a bit blase but it has the intensity in the right places and is easily Thorpe's best rollercoaster at night.Saw suffers from the problem that it's just absolute garbage. It is the literal ride in a shed, its layout goes barely near pathways, its single trick gives me massive headaches, its nowhere near long enough for a major ride, its theming is inspired in some places, non existant in others.Colossus takes third place because its a decent ride ruined by a ridiculous loading system.

Inferno > SawSaw is far more intense than Inferno but I'm one of those who rarely come of Saw without a headache, theres a few points around the track where its pretty painful. Theming wise I would go for Saw though, whilst it only really has the warehouse / dark section so does Inferno and I find Saws more interactive and just a little better overall.Stealth > InfernoEasy one for me, theres a reason Stealths the parks icon ride, its fast, intense and stands out by far, nothing on park can beat Stealth front row for me.Colossus > InfernoAnother easy one for me, for all its problems (trains / restraints / slow loading times) I still find the overall ride better, I think it interacts better with guests both on and off the ride and overall provides a more enjoyable experience.

I can't help judging without my past experiences stuck in the back of my mind.The reason I'm not a massive fan of Inferno is that I've riden Nemesis countess times, and Nemesis is far far superior. I know that's a daft way of looking at it, but I can't help feeling disappointed with it after I've riden Inferno. The little pops of g force are nothing compared to the ever increasing and constant forces of Nemesis. How anyone manages to grey out on inferno really is beyond me.Stealth, however, gives me the opposite problem. I've not ridden TTD or Kingda-ka. The only other 'decent' launch I have access to with any regularity is the vastly inferior RITA. In my world stealth is unique and the best / only of it's type. Therefore my desire to ride it is higher.As for Colossus, I voted for Inferno but it was damn close. On any given day it could be one or the other. I don't understand a lot of the stick that Colossus gets, I don't find it overly rough and actually love the layout which I find interesting with a good flow. Now the greenery has grown up around it it just looks and feels right, Inferno always looks a little bit stark. And the most likely grey out you'll have in the park is on the amazing quad heartline roll, for grey outs are caused not by sudden pops of g force (at the levels coasters deliver) but by the constant application of those forces, even at much lesser levels. (I love greying out, btw!!!)Comparisons to Saw are pointless.So if you could wipe my memory of all past ride experiences, put me in Thorpe park and told me "this is your lot", I may well choose Inferno over everything else. As it is I know it's not a s good as it could or should be and if I want the ultimate invert experience I'm in the wrong place.

Unfortunately I can't help comparisons to the better and original version at Alton Towers.Inferno is just an OK ride for me. Its very small, very short, and nowhere near as fast as its bigger brother. There is nothing especially unique about the ride. And it never makes me smile like Stealth and Saw does afterwards.Does it thrill me? Not really. Ive been on lots of inverted roller coasters and can safely say that Inferno is not in the same league as Dragon Challenge, Nemesis, Montu etc. I know we're basing this on whether Inferno is better than Saw and Colossus, but its an indication of how unsatsfied I feel after riding it. I would never queue for this ride for longer than 20 minutes and I never come off saying 'that was fun'. There is nothing special about it and no talking points compared to Saw and Stealth. Saw has the uniqueness of the indoor aspect and the drop. Stealth has the launch and its the highest ride in the park. What does Inferno have? Errr its based around a Volcano. I go on Stealth for the launch, I go on Saw for the drop and beginning bit. I go on Inferno because its one of the only rides I haven't been on yet.So if no ones guessed, I chose Saw and Stealth over Inferno. But I chose Inferno over Colossus, because I hate Colossus!

I love this topic.

Does it thrill me? Not really. Ive been on lots of inverted roller coasters and can safely say that Inferno is not in the same league as Dragon Challenge, Nemesis, Montu etc.

Interesting view actually. I actually find Inferno rather comparable with the Dragons because individually each dragon is quite lacklusture. When they're duelling the ride is pushed up a few levels but on those moments where your train does inversions and helixes by itself, it feels like the ride is positioning itself rather then being very stand out.Compare that to wonderful inverters like Black Mamba, Nemesis and Katun where the ride can do its circuits on its own accord and the Dragons kind of pale in comparison. Inferno is more dragon like then Katunesque. I certainly prefer Inferno to Batman La Fuga. -_-

Inferno was my first ever rollercoaster, so despite not being my favourite ride ever, to me it's still special in feeling like my 'home' ride in a sense - I grew up with it. Oh and re-riding it over and over again on Sunday at night with the fireworks and music in the background was probably one of my favourite theme park experiences ever. -_-

• 8 months later...

All about opinions, ain't it?

Depends on what you want from a coaster too. If you want a smooth, free flowing coaster, then Inferno is perfect for you. If you want an intense coaster which comes in two parts, Saw is for you. Also, if you're not too keen on your head being smashed in, Saw may not be your favourite... :P