The Swarm

JoshC.

Just thought Id swing by to review the Swarm.The area is themed very well, its a little small and I think soon Thorpe Park should really utillize the space and add a flat ride or two, go back to having themed lands as opposed to themed ride areas.The eerie feeling you get when crossing the bridge and the sheer size of The Swarm surprised me. I forgot what a theme park felt like in Surrey, The Swarm brought it all back.The queue line is just... manic. Which, I suppose, is a good thing. You really dont know where youre going.The theming is above par to what I was expecting, few things to look at and keep your mind off queing. The station is the highlight for me (bar the ride, of course), its huge. The fresh smell of paint will fade in time and hopefully the station will weather propperly.The Swarm was great at best. I didnt think it was amazing nor extremely thrilling but in a few places the ride really packs a punch. The pacing is good and the ride totally smooth.On the two occasions I was sat at the back, on both sides. Left hand side is a little more forcful than the right.The trains are stunning! Even without the theme I find wing walker trians to be pretty damn sexy, with The Swarm theming on really gives it a menacing look.The two stand out moments of the ride are the banked turn after the inclined loop (left side) and the barrel roll over the station.I think this ride is something between AIR and Nemesis, but I will never consider this as a 'scary' ride.Second best coaster in the park, after Stealth.

Afternoon TPM :DAfter spending months literally combing over every detail of this build I finally had my chance to ride on Sunday.I've seen hundreds of pictures but nothing really compares to the sheer scale of it as you make your way over the bridge, I sort of like the way the islands access is set back from the main park area as it really adds to the tension and anticipation.The theming is excellent, especially the crashed plane with that wing looming over the rides plaza and I thought it was a nice touch with the paving leading up to the engine all torn up as if it's come down and just ripped through the ground. Although the right hand side is rather sparse, the burnt trees and timber ashes scattered along the ground gives the overall area enough consistency.The area soundtrack is fantastic, from what I could make out it mainly consists of gunfire, helicopters and an eerie bassline that eventually breaks into an instrumental version of the YMAS song.As for the queue I like the tower section with that cheeky blast of Swarm scream as the train enters the inline, the videos were a nice touch and really well made providing some welcome distraction from that cheeky bit of hidden queue next to the toilet block.I'm not so sure about the station, the whole non-roof issue still bugs me but I've bored everyone to death about this already so I'll leave that there for now :PWe rode 4 times in total, for our first go we went back left which out of all the positions is my pick of the bunch but then saying that every position has it's moments and the restraints weren't as grabby as I had been led to believe. The ride itself is.....just awesome, again theres nothing much I can add that hasn't already been covered. My highlights would be the drop & the turnaround into the wing over, I loved the hangtime you get through each element and the way the train really picks up pace between each element so quickly. Overall I found the ride to have the perfect balance of thrills & fun combined with the smoothness of the track it has re-ride written all over it, if you haven't ridden this already you are are in for a treat.For me this is easily the best ride in the park and 2nd best coaster in the country, I certainly can't wait to see what we have in store for 2015 if this is anything to go by.....

Finally got to ride The Swarm yesterday, all I can say is wow!The area looks incredible, and is by far the best theming in the uk since nemesis, brilliant. The queue annoyed me slightly, I like different things to look at and don't appreciate meandering back and forth over the same area! Not even the tvs can cover up this!As for the ride, first time, 5th row left side. Fantastic. Unexpectedly high at the top of the lift hill, and the moment you hang whilst looking down at the forthcoming drop is a uk wide coaster highlight for me.The drop itself is brilliant and quite forceful, and packs a punch when going under the wing. The zero g provides a great floaty sensation and the drop that follows really gathers pace once again.All through the ride I couldn't help but laugh, it is unmatched in the fun stakes and is fantastically smooth and re rideable. (the polar opposite of Colossus which was running the fastest and roughest I've ever experienced it).The pacing can be odd on the ride at times, and you do feel like you're waiting for a descent to kick in, this is my only complaint.I would say this is classy ride that executes what it needs to do with perfection, but doesnt include that wild untamed feeling of a true thrill ride. (sums up b and m well I think!)

Does anybody know where the disabled entrance is? I'm guessing via the fastrack queue like Saw?

When I had spoken to some staff members on opening day, they told me the exit is the disabled entrance. I personally think that can be dangerous, because its very small and having a wheelchair down there and a lot of ignorant people pushing past, someone will get hurt.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but any more developments on the fire effects? Last I heard was that H&S was holding it all up..

Had a chat with the Thorpe area manager in charge of Swarm today and asked him that question. He said they're just waiting for final approval ifor both the fire effect and the LEDs on the train. Once the documents are signed off both will be turned on.Had a good chat with him in the Thrill Workshop today. Got to see a few behind the scenes photos of Swarm, a lot of it showing the construction of the wing and engine, as well as some official drawings of the ride, including some early concept art. He said that B&M estimate a throughput of 1100 people per hour should be possible and the record to date is 1095 I think. I also asked why the queue gates are opened at the same time as the restraints are opened, which can cause a bit of a people jam. He said the operator controls this and it's done to try and get people off and new people on as quickly as possible. Raptor at Gardaland doesn't do this and throughput suffers as a result.All very interesting.Also the ride was running great today, much more forceful that last week. Not sure if the cold weather has made a difference or if the ride is just breaking in nicely.

Am I the only one surprised that there's H&S approval require for LED lights on a train? I don't understand why that's needed..? :SThanks for that though!

He said the same thing. I presume the fact the LED are an electrical device on the train a risk assessment has to be done to make sure it doesn't interfere with the restrain system or any proximity sensors. From what he said it seems everything has been tested and has passed fine. But I know from my own line of work (controls engineer for a contact lens manufacturer) you have to do a risk assessment for everything, and the slowest part of the process is the final sign-off by every party involved. And unfortunately to comply with company policy the documents have to be signed off before you can turn things on. So that seems to be hold up. He did say they're hoping to have everything operational before the end of the Easter holidays.