Cedar Point

• 9 months later...
50 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Magnum is my favourite roller coaster ever.

? ?????? I am confused as to how you can say that! It's rough, bumpy, only airtime is the bunny hop style hills and they are painful!I even prefer Gemini over Magnum! And then theres MF, SV and TTD, all a billion times better!

But you are entitled to your opinion. Glad you enjoyed it. What did you think of the park generally? 

The janky coaster which was basically designed and built as if it was in rollercoaster tycoon is your favourite coaster of all time?

I can appreciate your love for magnum as it is fun but Millennium force, TTD and maverick were just... I haven't experienced the magnificent Steel Vengeance yet but you are going to have to explain Magnum. 

10 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

? ?????? I am confused as to how you can say that!

But you are entitled to your opinion. Glad you enjoyed it. What did you think of the park generally? 

Magnum is my favourite coaster for lots of reasons.

Firstly, the ride experience.  I've never enjoyed a roller coaster as much as I enjoyed Magnum, it's as simple as that.  I think there are lots of factors, but the fact that the airtime is so varied, from the floaty-nature of the first few hills to the absolute insanity of the last few hills; then you have the tunnels, the forceful turnaround (especially without the trims!) and the right amount of "Arrow-bumpiness" and I just absolutely loved it.  It's also amazing to see an Arrow hyper running three trains with hardly any stacking, it was without question one of the most efficient coasters I've ever seen.

The classic feel of the ride and the fact that the lapbars aren't too restrictive also goes a long way.  I really enjoyed Steel Vengeance, for example, but the lapbars were horrendous and limited the enjoyment of the airtime for me.  When you consider that Magnum opened way back in 1989 it's ridiculous really for a brand new ride to be more uncomfortable due to hideous restraints.  Equally Millennium Force and Maverick were incredible, but as said I will eventually get round to full reviews!

Also bear in mind that I am a huge Arrow Dynamics fan.  They are (or were!) my favourite manufacturer and before my trip to America, The Big One was my favourite coaster.  Magnum holds a special place for me because it was such an important ride for the industry.  The world's first hyper-coaster, the ride that started the "coaster wars" and it was Magnum that inspired Geoffrey Thompson to build a hyper coaster at Pleasure Beach after he rode it.

The ride experience is of course subjective but without Magnum we wouldn't have the steel giants we have today, its importance in the industry should never be overlooked.

5 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Magnum is my favourite coaster for lots of reasons.

Firstly, the ride experience.  I've never enjoyed a roller coaster as much as I enjoyed Magnum, it's as simple as that.  I think there are lots of factors, but the fact that the airtime is so varied, from the floaty-nature of the first few hills to the absolute insanity of the last few hills; then you have the tunnels, the forceful turnaround (especially without the trims!) and the right amount of "Arrow-bumpiness" and I just absolutely loved it.  It's also amazing to see an Arrow hyper running three trains with hardly any stacking, it was without question one of the most efficient coasters I've ever seen.

The classic feel of the ride and the fact that the lapbars aren't too restrictive also goes a long way.  I really enjoyed Steel Vengeance, for example, but the lapbars were horrendous and limited the enjoyment of the airtime for me.  When you consider that Magnum opened way back in 1989 it's ridiculous really for a brand new ride to be more uncomfortable due to hideous restraints.  Equally Millennium Force and Maverick were incredible, but as said I will eventually get round to full reviews!

Also bear in mind that I am a huge Arrow Dynamics fan.  They are (or were!) my favourite manufacturer and before my trip to America, The Big One was my favourite coaster.  Magnum holds a special place for me because it was such an important ride for the industry.  The world's first hyper-coaster, the ride that started the "coaster wars" and it was Magnum that inspired Geoffrey Thompson to build a hyper coaster at Pleasure Beach after he rode it.

The ride experience is of course subjective but without Magnum we wouldn't have the steel giants we have today, it's importance in the industry should never be overlooked.

All very valid reasons, and can see why you like it based on what you have said. Personally for me I don't understand the issue with SV restraints and I am not a slim person at 15 and a half stone, but many have said the same as you so fair enough.  Glad you enjoyed the other coasters.

Your last line is a very good point as well!

On 6/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, Coaster said:

I will get round to writing full reviews at some stage, been very busy lately!

It's not my favourite rollercoaster ever but it really is awesome. First ride, I wasn't expecting that experience and was genuinely terrified. Second ride was just wonderful, just full of everything a well paced rollercoaster needs.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, Coaster said:

I will get round to writing full reviews at some stage, been very busy lately!

For it's age, Magnum is one brilliant coaster and one of the coasters I most look forward to whenever I visit the point!! :)

Such a pioneering coaster for the industry and that is so often overlooked in the community. Hope it has a long future at the park.

• 1 year later...

In unsurprising news, the worlds best park are doing away with Wicked Twister.

Quite mixed on this. Yes Wicked Twister was far from being among the best rides at the park, but it worked very well for the footspace it took up and made a nice appearance on the parks skyline.

Curious to see what could replace it (a Mack Powersplash would be great in that area) given the park/chains profits still not being great due to the pandemic.

I was pleasantly surprised how good this coaster was too. Its launch was pretty decent and made for a real fun ride if at the front or back. I will be sorry to see it go TBH. Must be linked to operational costs as like you say it hardly takes up space and I don't see how this could be in the way of a development. Easy to go round or even over any part except the towers! 

RIP

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Glitch said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-struck-small-metal-object-cedar-point-amusement-park

Is Cedar point safe?

Is their maintenance team up to scratch?

So many questions, so little answers. 

I do hope the woman involved is ok and have thoughts for her family and friends.

1) Yes

2) Yes

Lets see what comes out of this before we accuse the park and maintenance team of gross negligence. 

• 7 months later...

Cedar Point has decided that Top Thrill Dragster will remain shut for the entirety of the 2022 season.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/rides-experiences/top-thrill-dragster

This is presumably in direct relation the bit of metal which struck a customer.

The park had only performed a more limited maintenance check for the 2021 season compared to the usual rigorous one expected between each and every season (after having the go-ahead by Intamin). 

• 5 months later...

Cedar Point have today confirmed that Top Thrill Dragster is no more. The ride will not be returning in its present form:

The tweet seems to suggest a possibility that the park could be “reviving” it in the form of a TTD Mk2, if you like (I found the use of “as you know it” very interesting), but for now; TTD in its original form is definitely done.

I am somewhat sad about this (I was very keen to ride it!), but I must admit that I’m not 100% surprised after the events of the last year or so. It should also be noted that the ride was allegedly somewhat unreliable even when it did operate.

I can sense that this ride will now be topping a number of “favourite defunct coaster” lists…

RIP Top Thrill Dragster 2003-2021