Fright Nights 2012

JackR

Thinking about it, Towers can get away with charging for some of its mazes (even if it is a pretty high price) because it's a family park and there is no extra cost for Halloween (though I guess you can't use BOGOFs?). Thorpe having an entry fee and a maze fee means that this maze had better be pretty amazing. Experiment 10 fell down on busy days because of the amount of people in each group.

Not sure if I can do that tbh :unsure:

I'll do it but I don't know if I'll make it out alive

Posted Image

Was this posted already?

As one of the darkest and twisted criminals to wreak havoc upon society, you are being tried, tested and sentenced to death. And that’s just the beginning of your suffering as the after-life will demand you brave the unknown horrors of The Passing in order to reach your final resting place.

Are you ready for your judgement day? As murderers, arsonists and kidnappers you must be brought to justice and pay for your crimes with your life. No one will escape The Passing and as you struggle for your last breath in this world, your nightmare will begin in the next.

As one of the dead you will be bagged and tagged, ready to face up to your own burial. Experience suffocating terror as you lay trapped in your own body, surrounded by the stench of fear with only your guilt for company.

The echoes of those who you have hurt will ring in your ears as you stumble through the after-life in search of salvation. Will you reach redemption and finally rest in peace or will you be left to rot deep underground for all eternity?

As someone who just isn't phased by actors going "boo!" I think I get where they're going with this, and I like it. They're definitely thinking outside the box, I can definitely see this relying more on sensory awareness and less on actors.

I still don't see the uproar about the £3 charge. We pay exactly the same price every day of the year, and yet when they add all these new attractions at halo ween there seems to be an entitlement to free entry for some reason.

Also there's still the forgotten question of: Where exactly are they going to put this attraction?

Also there's still the forgotten question of: Where exactly are they going to put this attraction?

There was some lights on in Hellgate's old area Wednesday last week; surely we would have seen some sort of tent/building set up if it was going anywhere else. How big is that X:\NWO extension queue though?

I'm also really impressed by this; it seems like a step up from E10. Being locked in a cupboard seems pretty dull now! :P I just hope if the gimmicks are out of the way by the first part, the second half of the maze will actually have some decent scares. Also about the E10 'sinister twist thing', I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as last year, THORPE are probably just saying that to imply that things are going wrong this year.

About this whole £3 Malarkey... Yes, Thorpe do charge £5 entry with an additional £3 for the single maze however last year I payed £12 for two mazes that to be honest where a dud at Towers... Alton have 3 mazes Thorpe have 5 which in total is £8 additional rather than £12 for 2 with a free one. Thorpe's were surprisingly 10x better than Alton's paid ones.

Last years mazes at Alton Towers, with exception to TOTT, were not up to the parks usual standard which I am sure, judging by The Sanctuary and what I know of The Carnival of Screams, will be much better this year. However, Thorpe Park is more aimed at younger people, so their mazes can arguably be more abusive/involved.

The Curse is complete garbage compared to any of those at AT, and the others at Thorpe Park. Also, as much as The Asylum is good, it's been exactly the same for years and years now!

I think it's more a case of 'it's always been free at TP', so it's a shame they start to charge. However, at AT - two mazes have always been charged - ever since Scarefest began - so as much as I don't like it, it's 'the norm' so to speak.

Perhaps Thorpe Park ought to go down the Terenzi Horror Nights route of having a separately ticketed event from 7:30pm to 11:00pm? The queues always put me off FN to be honest - I almost feel as though I have to have a Fastrack ticket to do them all anyway... so perhaps a separate event would be better in future.

:)

The Curse is complete garbage compared to any of those at AT, and the others at Thorpe Park. Also, as much as The Asylum is good, it's been exactly the same for years and years now!

I find the curse alright when it is being used to it's full potential, which it wasn't last year.

Also, Asylum had a few changes last year which added some "scenes" that made the maze more interesting. As for a seperatley ticked event, it would not work in my opinion and I wouldn't like to see it.

I must just be lucky but when I go the queues tend to be short - except for in 2009 when I queued 2 hours for se7en!

My trouble with charging extra for mazes at Thorpe is simply because they've already raised the prices.

The prices tend to increase by a good £2/3 at least for Fright Night, and the majority of AP holders pay £5 to get in. So, it's not like anyone's expecting extra for nothing in essence. (I don't know what Alton do with their on the day prices for Scarefest; though I think they increase them as well?). I think when a park so regularly has a "one price for all" strategy, and then changes this for what is perhaps the most popular time of the year, it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. I also bet that many will also be a bit disappointed/shocked/annoyed when they find out that a ticket for The Passing is more like £5 on the day, when they've read about £3 tickets online.

As I've said though, a charge for The Passing sounds reasonable, considering the experience it seems to be giving, and some of the logistical issues that may surround it.

Have I missed something here? Isn't one of the reasons why they're charging extra for this attraction is because you're expected to go through in very small groups/ alone? This would make sense and also bring it in line with other attractions of its type across the world. Either that or I've totally missed the mark.

Thorpe have gone for a slightly less mainstream option here. Good on them for trying something new for the theme park world. I'm sure I'll give it a go but I'm undecided whether this is just a little too far for me. I can see this maze borrowing aspects from Tulley's Hell-Ements.

I think I'm more excited about a potential Experiment 10 tweak. That could be the perfect attraction if that latter half received some attention.

I'm liking the whole "prison break" theme for the park as well, with the guests being prisoners. :D

Just read elsewhere on here that Samurai is going to be down for the rest of the year... that's gutting for FNs as it is a bit of queue eater (when it zeros correctly). Fingers crossed Slammer makes a recovery in time... I intend on going to FN's on the first Friday - I would never entertain the idea of going on one of the Half Term days :o

I'm looking forward to The Passing, and don't for once mind paying out extra for it, if it means a more intense experience. E10 last year was a welcome addition, and I echo the sentiments about The Curse - been pants every time I've been through it sadly.

Wonder what will happen to SAW:Alive for 2013 season? Having that large area with cattlefencing queue just sitting there again looks pretty bad in my opinion... then I wonder if Merlin actually care about this or not.

I'm normally well against additional charges for attractions in 'one price' theme parks, but in this case it seems well justified for something unusual and what sounds like will be quite a personal experience.

If I were going to fright nights I would happily hand over a few quid for a try, but I'm probably not going due to the reduced hours and days. I'm an off peaker, I'm not going on a busier day with less hours, that sounds like hell.

If I were going to fright nights I would happily hand over a few quid for a try, but I'm probably not going due to the reduced hours and days. I'm an off peaker, I'm not going on a busier day with less hours, that sounds like hell.

Thats it really. We've lost Bear Hunt, we've lost Samurai, we've potentially lost Slammer for the whole event and we've lost a free maze for a lower throughput, up charge attraction all the while the park cuts the hours and will probably rise the prices for its fastrack offering and entry fee.

Screw em. :closedeyes:

I think I'm more excited about a potential Experiment 10 tweak. That could be the perfect attraction if that latter half received some attention.

Going to disagree here. Firstly, I think this maze's 'trick' will be completely lost after the initial time through because it's no longer shocking. The only way I can see this changing is if the actors get more intense which at a big park at Thorpe has a limit. Also, on peak days, which is basically every day of Fright Nights, the groups are just far too big (although we did find a comedy act 'lad' losing it last year in Experiment 10 which was entertaining). To be honest I think this is the main downfall of the event as a whole. They haven't managed to get a big successful show to eat crowds off the ground and mazes either have big groups or massive queues. This is just going to be compounded by rides either broken or taken out of the lineup this year. And yeah one less free maze.

Perhaps Thorpe Park ought to go down the Terenzi Horror Nights route of having a separately ticketed event from 7:30pm to 11:00pm? The queues always put me off FN to be honest - I almost feel as though I have to have a Fastrack ticket to do them all anyway... so perhaps a separate event would be better in future.

:)

I don't think they will risk any separate ticketed event of a large sum. I think they would rather pack the park and upsell stuff. The £5 AP charge seemed to cut crowds quite a bit simply as a deterrent for locals I guess. True, night rides plus mazes is nigh impossible without some sort of fast track.

Ahh see I think Experiment 10 will continue to entertain me- I'm a bit of a depth/ detail geek and I loved how some of the characters in the maze seemed to be trying to help us and some of them part of the sinister experiment. The story also seemed tovary judging by various reviews of the attraction- which turns out is deliberate from accounts of those who attended the behind the scenes tour they held for ScareTour.

It may not appeal to everyone, but things like that I find really enjoyable because it does vary things each time you go through- directly appealing to the fans. I do see where you're coming from regarding the whole "shock" factor though. I don't think I'd like to see the actors become any more "intense" I think Ex-10 was already pushing those boundaries and I'm not sure I'd like to see it go any further.

Regarding the event as a whole, I am excited about the direction it's going in, both as a fan of these sorts of attractions and events and as a bit of a scare attraction geek as well. However, I can totally understand comments that suggest that Thorpe is offering less for their guests this year. Reduced ride line up, reduced maze throughput which potentially means less people experiencing the add on attractions Thorpe has to offer. I do agree that Thorpe need to address having a show to take pressure off of the walkthroughs and rides. I feel we may be seeing a lean into it this year with more street entertainment, following on from last year's clowns which seemed to be testing the waters for future events.

Thats it really. We've lost Bear Hunt, we've lost Samurai, we've potentially lost Slammer for the whole event and we've lost a free maze for a lower throughput, up charge attraction all the while the park cuts the hours and will probably rise the prices for its fastrack offering and entry fee.

Screw em. :closedeyes:

One thing I'd like to ask Mark; what would you have liked to have seen for a new attraction to Fright Nights? At the beginning of this thread, you said that you wanted:

To make the mazes more then just an actor running at you, screaming and running away. That would be nice.

By the sounds of it, this is what The Passing will do. However, it seems as though you don't like the idea of it because it will cost and have a low throughput. Personally, I think it would be VERY difficult to create a high throughput maze which creates scares which are more than "an actor running at you, screaming and running away" for the duration. The maze will have a low throughput so the actors can spend more time scaring individuals, and the cost of it is in essence to keep queues down. I understand the issues, especially with the additional charges there already are, and problems with rides and Fastrack sales, but it seems that even though Thorpe are trying their best to improve the experiences of the mazes, that isn't enough.

Ahh see I think Experiment 10 will continue to entertain me- I'm a bit of a depth/ detail geek and I loved how some of the characters in the maze seemed to be trying to help us and some of them part of the sinister experiment. The story also seemed tovary judging by various reviews of the attraction- which turns out is deliberate from accounts of those who attended the behind the scenes tour they held for ScareTour.

One thing which I didn't like about Experiment 10 last year was when some of the characters were seemingly helping us. I always felt that the general gist of the maze should be that we are being experimented on; whether that was made clear from the get-go, or whether we were meant to think we were visitors, who were then being used. From my personal experiences, the maze benefits best from a chaotic, brash and quick feel; you're not in control, and you have no chance to ask what's going on. For example, in my first go, when I was put into the room, the actor put his hand on the back of my head, guided me into the room whilst shouting "GET IN HERE". On one of my later goes, the actor opened the door, then put his hands on his head and said "Hands on you head. In here, quickly. Now don't move until I tell you." Don't get me wrong, this all sounds very worrying, but it's not making me scared - it's making me feel as though that I'm here for my safety, not to be experimented on.

I do think the maze will continue to be one I will enjoy thoroughly, and whilst I don't mind a varying story, I do believe it need to have a central idea of 'You're being experimented on, you're not safe and have no friends in this laboratory'.

By the sounds of it, this is what The Passing will do. However, it seems as though you don't like the idea of it because it will cost and have a low throughput. Personally, I think it would be VERY difficult to create a high throughput maze which creates scares which are more than "an actor running at you, screaming and running away" for the duration. The maze will have a low throughput so the actors can spend more time scaring individuals, and the cost of it is in essence to keep queues down. I understand the issues, especially with the additional charges there already are, and problems with rides and Fastrack sales, but it seems that even though Thorpe are trying their best to improve the experiences of the mazes, that isn't enough.

Good point. But I'm not convinced that putting a charge on it will reduce the queues for it, considering a trip to Thorpe during Fright Nights turns into a "pay for fastrack or only do two things all night" scenario, essentially pay per attraction anyway.

Thing is, I'm not a scare maze expert, I'm not paid to come up with new concepts for Thorpe and Alton to use. Experiment 10 was a step in the right direction, despite turning into actors running at you towards the end. But to me Thorpe are not addressing the issues of capacity with the mazes at Fright Nights.