Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

Hi guys,

Went to Fright Nights yesterday and wanted to share my thoughts with you! First off I have to say starting the event so early is awesome because at 8pm last night nothing had a queue over 5 mins it was awesome! Firstly I loved the idea behind it, the music at the park with this creepy film director talking over it was amazing, really gave me the chills. There wasn't much park theme apart from at the entrance and at the dome. I will list of my thoughts on each maze below;

Asylum

This was usually my favourite maze and it did not disappoint. It was noisy, chaotic and jumpy, very good and the ending was even better than I remember. Really great and the actors were great! We got emergency evac nearly at the end of the first run so we went through again!

9/10 - Awesome job.

Cabin in the Woods

I don't know if it is because I haven't watched the film but WTF? What an earth was going on? It was chaos going through all these doors banging into people and the actors didn't seem to know either. It was very disjointed and no coherent story although the first room looked awesome. Okay but if it has more than a 1/2 queue dont bother.

3/10 - Maybe one of the worst mazes I have ever been on.

Saw: Alive

Saw: Alive was clearly on steroids. Maybe its because I haven't been in for so many years but it was awesome. Really gritty actors were amazing that night and there were a few new scenes including the final scene with the guns which was amazing.

8/10

My Bloody Valentine

Very disappointed by this one. It was just X10 with some branches and twigs and you don't even get locked into cupboards. The ending was utter rubbish really bad, nothing was good about it apart from the first scene in the hospital.

4/10

Blair Witch

This was the biggest surprise. We went in about 8:45pm so it was pitch black. You start off at the Canada Creek Railway where you walk down a pitch black pathway and there are campers throwing themselves at you, one was even led on the floor and grabbed me as I walked past not even realising! Should eat more carrots! The ending was a bit naff but all in all it was awesome for no wait!

7/10

Thorpe's new ticket attractions seem to need some work but they may get improved over time. It was a good event and I really enjoyed it. Good effort from the park this year just need to improve park theme and also tweaking some maze elements.

Here are a few photos, the rest can be found on my Facebook or Flickr

10143169303_f53cb0e4ec_c_zps5204f228.jpg

3_zps5903e608.jpg

1_zps7dab6a3a.jpg

Nah nothing, Blair Witch is a brilliant attraction for anyone that hasn't been!! Although not perfect it is clearly a great progression in scare zones and one well worth doing!! The ending is also pretty good ;) If you get the chance to do it last thing its well worth it as the actors follow you out in a crowd; the joys of staying until 10pm ;)

Am I going through a different Asylum to everyone else? I've done it 4 or 5 times over the years and it does absolutely nothing for me. I find the strobes ineffective as there's enough light between flashes to see the actors move, unlike in TotT where they literally disappear into total darkness only to reappear right in your face. The maze has loads of opportunities for jump scares and holes in walls for actors to appear in, but they always seem to be in the rooms as you arrive and most of them just do something like slowly walk towards the group and touch someone at random. I also find the ending kills any sense of immersion, as I know I can't actually be harmed. I'd say that the only thing about the Asylum that I genuinely rate is the queue line music, which is great.

I think I definately went through completely different mazes to everyone else. Especially with all the good feedback thwir getting. I hated all of the film based ones. They did absolutely nothing for me at all. Asylum for me was the only decent one, where I felt scared. The rest were just pathetic in my opinion. Ill write a review up in the spoilers topic of my experience in all the mazes and attractions, I have to say though it probably will be quite long and will more of a rant because I was so disappointed.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I've already given my thoughts from the preview night on live.thorpenerd.com, which left me not being able to choose which maze I preferred. On Friday, Cabin, Valentine & Asylum all had their merits for being my favourite, but after our second day on Saturday, Cabin was by far the stand out maze this year for me.

We went through Cabin three times on Saturday, and all three times we took a different route through, I'm fairly sure I've been in every room now, including the control room, which is a really nice touch. This is the first time I've ever experienced a maze where it makes you actively want to go back again to explore what else is inside. The free flow format is a big plus for me, it allows you to become more involved in the experience, and makes for some fairly hectic and amusing situations.

Valentine was good, I'd never been in Experiment 10 so I wasn't able to see the similarities that's been mentioned, but I felt this was far too short and seemed to suffer a little with throughput at times. Also it really wasn't what I expected inside, I thought the actors would be dressed up in the gas mask outfit, which would've created the affect of the same villain stalking you through the maze, but I didn't see this once on the three times through.

Asylum was better than ever, mainly down to the actors pulling out all the stops, but still using the conga line format, stopped it from being up there with Cabin for me, as you are just walking through not actively taking part in the scenario.

Blair Witch was disappointing, they seemed to have changed their act a bit on Saturday, as the only jump out scares were the actors dressed as campers screaming 'Help Me!', but it still didn't capitalise on the potential it had.

SAW Alive for me was rubbish, they've completely abandoned the theme of the maze, and although on Friday there were a couple of actors that were doing a great job, it really doesn't work anymore.

The only thing that was missing for me was a park wide atmosphere, the special ride music featuring the director was a nice touch, but as you walked around the park generally, there really wasn't that much to give away that Fright Nights was actually on.

To sum up, this was the best Fright Nights I've been to, Cabin is one of my favourite mazes I've done, up there with Field of 1,000 Screams. I really hope that the rest of the event is a success and Thorpe stay on this track for future events, I'd love to see all mazes becoming free flow, I think Asylum given the Cabin treatment, could be an amazing prospect.

The mazes do look fantastic and the lack of big white tents can only be a good thing. It always looks fantastic at night as well. I just think it's a shame that they (once again) couldn't be bothered with any theming or decoration around the park.

I'm looking forward to going this weekend so much. We're thinking about doing Brave it Alone as well... Has anyone on here done this yet? Any opinions on it?

This soundtrack (which plays around Stealth) NEEDS to be played on the speakers throughout the queueline of My Bloody Valentine. At the moment the only audio in that queue is bits that can be heard from inside, which is a real shame considering that they went to the effort of installing the speakers, but not switching them on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3b1CpeXgqc

CITW's queueline would also benefit from audio, as the atmosphere in that queue is dead (bar the actors).

Oh come on there's usually always people who sneak them on and film it anyway, I always loved seeing the videos of what it was like seeing as I can't go

The thing is, though, that they're live action mazes, and you can only get a proper experience of a maze (or a ride) by actually experiencing.

The fact that is it's against park rules for various reasons. So, it's good to see that there's no POVs up their as people aren't breaking rules. Also, I don't think there's been many proper, full out POVs (other than the little clips the park themselves released) of Thorpe's maze anyways, which is nice to see.

Does anybody know the longest route through cabin, I kind of want the full thing?

I think it would be...

Door 1 (from left) and back into the first room... Door 3 and follow that round until you pass the black room with the chains, then into the basement room and back out again, and then into the lift and from there it's linear.

The only rooms you'd miss that I am aware of is the room you access the control room from and the control room itself.

I think it would be...

Door 1 (from left) and back into the first room... Door 3 and follow that round until you pass the black room with the chains, then into the basement room and back out again, and then into the lift and from there it's linear.

The only rooms you'd miss that I am aware of is the room you access the control room from and the control room itself.

You found the basement? :o