Zufari

So Zufari is down on the Chessington website to be opening on the 20th March 2013.

Here's the picture on the website:

374554_449959701744460_1528434980_n_zpsb

Do you reckon it will open before this date on the annual pass preview days? Could this date be the one for the website as it will be the first time the general public will get to go on it rather than advertise it being open for Passholder day?

I know Chessington have invested a lot in this ride, and I don't want to criticise their hard work, but I really do wonder why the hell this has been done. In short, it's a zoo addition with jeeps. I can't see it being that realistic, and why would I want to travel in a constantly-slow-moving jeep to look at animals when I could walk round and take my own time?

I know I can't walk round, and I'm sure kids generally will enjoy it. I'll give it a go, but then probably hardly ever ride it.

They are forcing people to ride it to see the Giraffes/Rhinos/etc "up close"... But it won't be slow moving unless there's an animal in the way, these are proper HUGE Diesel (I guess) Jeeps, not on a track or whatever...

It's a Safari though, all you have to do is look at how well received Disney's is (Animal Kingdom) to see that there is a market for it, and it's all part of their bringing Zoo and Park together ideas... It's an unique point for the British public and the addition of the 'finale' section shows that they are willing to add a little extra onto the attraction, hopefully bringing a story full circle...

Been 5 years in the making this... I think the finale will make or break it...

It could be difficult to sustain interest if the finale is a one off shock. I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning on adding new animals each year to maintain interest and keep the attraction used. Its the sort of attraction that if well received could do great things for the park but there is a risk that it could be a costly unsuccessful ride. Hopefully a success!

• 2 weeks later...

INTO THE DANGER CAVE!!!!

Hard to get much about what it feels like to be on it so based on the video I do feel a bit disheartened at the luck of effort to hide the sheds/animal enclosures and on the surface it looks like a little trip through the mud around the Surrey countryside. I wasn't expecting it to be just a radio playing, I thought it would feature the driver doing the talking like on Kilimanjaro Safari.

I stopped watching at the cave bit, to avoid spoilers.

I haven't watched the video, nor do I intend to until after I've ridden to avoid any spoilers.

I guess what we have to remember is that the public opening has been pushed back by at least a week, so obviously the park know the attraction is incomplete. Without watching to video, I don't know how much is needed to bring it up to standard, and whether 11 days is enough for that to happen.

Fingers crossed ey?

I don't think people avoiding spoilers in that video should be worried, indeed, if you were to watch it now, the feeling of potential disappointment at Chessie getting the absolute minimal budget will occur long before actually experiencing the ride...

It's really unfinished, it's quite bad really, I can forgive the lack of foliage as this is a common problem with most new rides anyways (this moreso as it was literally, a field beforehand, making the contrast even higher)... But still...

Final verdict will of course be given on ride, but it looks like it's gonna be another wasted chance from that POV... Especially with a pre-recorded voice...

I've never quite understood why the English has such a fascination with safaris. Whipsnade is another example of depressed animals sitting in a
**** hole and will only see and feel the sun for about 7 days in a year. Zoo's can be cool, but we kid ourselves with these..... 'Safaris'. To be honest I feel like its borderline animal cruelty.

Why don't we wait until global warming really kicks in before we start pretending we're living in Africa?

Wake me up when Chessington really starts thinking about families and not gimmicks.

Watched the POV and frankly this looks to be a major major disappointment.

- 1:02 - when he talks about the 'ancient' rock carvings, just as a really obvious door appears in the fake rocks

- 2:31 - where they couldn't even be bothered to put fake rock work an extra 8 inches to the top of the building.

- The general lack of landscaping is shocking. it looks like a drive around a badly run zoo.

- The cave finale looks nicely themed, but the lack of story around it makes it completely naff. The on board audio seems to stop (notice the little kid actually asking 'what's happening?'), and you drive to the only bit of the ride that appears to have had any major work done (with a hilariously crap sign - '"Danger cave"), for about 2 seconds of water effects and the audio saying "thought we'd lost you." It just doesn't seem to work a the moment as a part of the 'plot,' and rather feels very tacked on.

The obvious comparison for this ride is Kilimanjaro Safaris. Now, I'm not an idiot, I understand that Disney have much more money to play with, but from looking at this POV it seems that if Merlin (who lets not forget, are the world's second biggest theme park operator) can't compete a little better then they probably shouldn't try with rides like this. I wasn't expecting a massive, 18 minute, lushly themed fake safari, but I think they could have come up with something a lot better than what we've got.

Now obviously one should probably ride this before being too harsh, but realistically, looking at the scenery and landscaping, I don't see how this is going to work very well. Chessington will have to hope the animals are feeling active.

Watched the POV and frankly this looks to be a major major disappointment.

- 1:02 - when he talks about the 'ancient' rock carvings, just as a really obvious door appears in the fake rocks

- 2:31 - where they couldn't even be bothered to put fake rock work an extra 8 inches to the top of the building.

- The general lack of landscaping is shocking. it looks like a drive around a badly run zoo.

- The cave finale looks nicely themed, but the lack of story around it makes it completely naff. The on board audio seems to stop (notice the little kid actually asking 'what's happening?'), and you drive to the only bit of the ride that appears to have had any major work done (with a hilariously crap sign - '"Danger cave"), for about 2 seconds of water effects and the audio saying "thought we'd lost you." It just doesn't seem to work a the moment as a part of the 'plot,' and rather feels very tacked on.

The obvious comparison for this ride is Kilimanjaro Safaris. Now, I'm not an idiot, I understand that Disney have much more money to play with, but from looking at this POV it seems that if Merlin (who lets not forget, are the world's second biggest theme park operator) can't compete a little better then they probably shouldn't try with rides like this. I wasn't expecting a massive, 18 minute, lushly themed fake safari, but I think they could have come up with something a lot better than what we've got.

Now obviously one should probably ride this before being too harsh, but realistically, looking at the scenery and landscaping, I don't see how this is going to work very well. Chessington will have to hope the animals are feeling active.

I do think you need to wait and hold judgement until you actually go on the ride yourself.

With regards to the story, and the general context of the ride itself- it's all been remarkably thought out and works brilliantly.

-Right from crossing the bridge and entering the plaza, all the signage, buildings and theming lay as puzzle pieces which all tie in to the back story. Throughout the area and queue line, audio as well as signage describes what A.C.R.E. is, and why they require the help of guests in their expedition. After the queue, they enter the pre-show room with a basic understanding of the story. The pre-show once again reinforces the context of the situation and sets up for the ride. The signs, carvings etc. are not intended as large set pieces- rather subtle hints and clues contributing to the story, which children will enjoy associating with what they've already learned of the story.

Secondly, 'atmosphere' simply cannot be conveyed in a youtube video. On the video you don't feel the bumps in the road or the wind rushing through the truck. You don't see 360 degrees, rather one consistent viewpoint. Also it was hardly the most ideal weather and yes, as you say the landscaping really is too fresh to judge. The animals weren't all around to be seen simply because they're probably still in quarantine and have been outside during the day. Finally, the cave is far more impressive (both in scale and atmosphere) in person and will probably still be tweaked.

Oh and the top of the giraffe house has to be painted in the light colour in line with planning restrictions (just like Stealth).

WAIT and hold fire! jeez

If we left all the African animals where they were in a couple decades they'd have all been wiped out. Whipsnade give back by investing lots into conservation, something a depressingly small amount of people on the African continent themselves are concerned with.

Those small amounts of Africans are living in hardship themselves and to be fair a lot of poachers are making business selling to the western world. We have a lot to explain for ourselves also. Anyway, that’s beside the point. I know that most animals are endangered, so why not leave it

to the warmer climate countries to take care of these species? Why send animals from a tropical climate to ours? Don't you think that's unfair?

Like I said, zoo's are educational and can be fun (minus London Zoo... seriously, drop a bomb on it. Smells like children’s piss and fumes) - but there has to be another way 'round for these animals to be kept in a safe environment without compromising their health. Perhaps more indoor structures like the Eden project, a huge greenhouse that keeps in warmth and can be inside disguised as the tropics/jungle. It's expensive, so let us not waste money on half arsed attempts and wait until we can care for these animals properly. It's selfish to just dump them onto flat land just for our entertainment... there's always a compromise and that needs to stop.