EC!

Wicker Man - New for 2018

Now that makes perfect sense. When I visited, the pre-show had difficulties on two of the four rides I witnessed, both of which were at the end of the day. On the first time, the curtain was missing (revealing the surprise somewhat from the beginning), whereas the second time the curtain never rose and ruined the effect. 

I'm not sure which is worse (probably the second one), but it’s a shame to have seen these malfunctions (especially as a result of guests who cannot keep their hands busy for one minute). The U.K. is perhaps one of the worser countries for guest vandalism. 

I think Wickerman is a great ride for Towers and U.K., but I do worry what the state of the ride will play in years to come. Will the smoke/fire effects still be working around the Wickerman, will the pre-show still maintain that surprise element and will things like the bag room (like others before) end up disappearing. Merlin don’t have a great track record for maintaining rides and effects, just look at Smiler. I mention this only because I want the park/Merlin to get better and not to bash them for fun.

It's all part of the development plan. Keep the queueline shop open for two years then sack the kid on minimum wage & turn it into a cupboard. Then after a few more years close the baggage hold reduce staff and make it another cupboard. Add open racking onto the other side of the station.

Regarding the pre-show the host should thow out anyone caught touching cloth and send them the bill to repair it. 🙃

On 6/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, Matt Creek said:

Now that makes perfect sense. When I visited, the pre-show had difficulties on two of the four rides I witnessed, both of which were at the end of the day. On the first time, the curtain was missing (revealing the surprise somewhat from the beginning), whereas the second time the curtain never rose and ruined the effect. 

I'm not sure which is worse (probably the second one), but it’s a shame to have seen these malfunctions (especially as a result of guests who cannot keep their hands busy for one minute). The U.K. is perhaps one of the worser countries for guest vandalism. 

I think Wickerman is a great ride for Towers and U.K., but I do worry what the state of the ride will play in years to come. Will the smoke/fire effects still be working around the Wickerman, will the pre-show still maintain that surprise element and will things like the bag room (like others before) end up disappearing. Merlin don’t have a great track record for maintaining rides and effects, just look at Smiler. I mention this only because I want the park/Merlin to get better and not to bash them for fun.

wow, so I rode it for the first time on Monday and the entire pre show was projected onto this curtain. could you post in spoiler tags what the 'surprise' element is and how the curtain rises etc? I didn't realise it was broke on my show, it was lite literally just a video projected into a curtain haha. thanks!

I rode Wickerman for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I think it is a great ride at the park and in the UK altogether. I thought wickerman had an amazing ride experience on thw back and the ambience around the whole area amazed me and some of the themeing elements were just amazing, it is a high class woody in the UK imo its my favourite woody in the UK and my 2nd fav coaster in the UK. Although I dont normally rate GCI's but I love the wickerman and the pre show and the effects are just sick and Alton defiantly need to maintain this as knowing merlin the effects will stop working in a couple years time and if they do maintain the ride, hands down to towers!.

Having been at Alton two weeks ago, I'm kind of starting to see your point @BaronC. Not from the kid's point of view, as they don't really know what it's about, but from the parent's point of view.

Quite a few times I saw kids asking to go on Wicker Man, and their parents have taken one look at the statue itself, and said no, to the kid's confusion. Even my dad, who still let my sister on the ride, intentionally gave her the wrong definition for words like ritual when the technical difficulty announcement played. She didn't get any of the theme at all, being 9.

Got to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of some of it myself. Only because I'm worried I'll look like a bit of a weirdo with ram skull related stuff all over my room :P