Summer Nights

MarkC

Sorry to revive this topic without no actual news... but thorpe haven't mentioned summer nights on their events page yet, I really hope it does come back!

can anyone remember what sort of dates they done it the last 2 years to give a rough idea for this year if it does happen as I'm looking to plan a weekend away soon to london and was looking at friday 31st july, just didn't know if they done august only or end of july as well previously?

It was on the site at one point for this season I think.  I guess it's possible that they've just taken down any mention of it until they have dates decided, if they bring it back this season (and I expect they will!).

Last season, they started in the second or third week of July I think, and happened each weekend until the end of August. 

Summer of music is the new event currently being advertised on various posters around the park.

Its a completely separate event, however it may have the potential to replace summer nights if it takes off. (Ovbiously they may be completely unrelated as we don't know what summer of music is yet!)

Summer nights was highly successful the past two years so I really hope it returns!

Thorpe will be having singers perform in summer time again this year as it was so popular last year :) it's been pretty much confirmed from what I've heard! 

I don't know why but I feel as if I've seen a poster somewhere advertising they're going to be bringing more live music into the park... so maybe that's exactly what Summer Nights is going to become? Instead of having Coca Cola Live Presents during the day.

Would bet money it's union J, again. thorpe seem to have a bit of a fixation with them, they've played there more than once if I'm right? And visit a lot. And aren't very popular.

Union J have been doing gigs at Westfield the last couple of years, which were not suprisingly, free to watch. I can't imagine they are much to hire out, therefore making business sense for Thorpe to hire out. However, they aren't anything but an unpopular one direction.

I highly doubt the bands coming will be "World Class", however will be highly impressed if they are. I imagine bands like Bastille will have better offers which pay more money and perform to larger crowds. I would expect acts who most people have never heard of to return like last year.

The poster also advertises discounts for annual passes, which may mean the event is completely separate like Alton Towers Live. If so, I can imagine bigger acts to come as it is likely to be much more expensive to visit as a seperate event. I also worry about where these acts are going to perform, as the dome is simply not a big enough space if the event needs to be popular and a lot of the potential locations are now taken with construction.

Only time will tell I guess :)

As much as it delights me that Thorpe do Summer Nights, in the world where money is everything and the parks are squeezed for cash... it surprises me they stick with it given how empty the park is. They can't make much, surely?

:)

Enough must visit for it to make a profit, and theres no point them closing at 7 during summer if they can make a bit of profit whilst hosting an event which must get them great feedback. 

• 2 months later...

https://www.thorpepark.com/events-experiences/events/summer-nights/

Summer Nights information available. 4-10 every Friday and Saturday in July/August bar the 3rd and 4th as it hasn't started then and the 18th July and 22nd August as they're MoS nights.

Tickets £15 normal, £5 for standard pass holders and FREE for Premium and VIP :Dhttps://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/summer-nights-premium-and-vip-annual-pass-tickets-tickets-16803994199 )

Still no idea how this is all going to coexist together. Different types of wristbands and stuff in place? Could get crazy, but woop either way!

I think that it may just be a dressed up afternoon ticket. There is going to be a lot more people at these summer nights and if its from 4pm with main guests still in the park I would assume that its just an afternoon ticket.

Things that work well are simple. This is just confusing and all over the place. I just don't see this going down as well as summer nights once did. Something has changed as they have lowered the price for premium. Does that mean they feel its not as highly valued as last year?

I think the thinking around free entry for premium must be to get more people in, hoping they'll then spend on food & drink etc. Whilst it was great for us to have a really empty park for a few hours financially it can't have been good for them.

If the 4pm start isn't an error then it's great value for people who arrive later but it will mean the park will be a lot busier than previous years.