Summer Nights

MarkC

If you're lucky you could also get an additional flat ride. I had zodiac open when I went and other people have had rush open on their visits. All down to the luck of the draw on the day but storm surge, tidal wave, Dodgems and teacups will all be open aswell as the coasters.

Summer Nights compromises as SAW, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Stealth, Swarm; X, Storm Surge, Dodgems, Flying Fish, Tidal Wave; Teacups, and the Beach with light entertainment such as beach volleyball and the Tidal Wave Stage DJ. Although as mentioned on odd nights additional rides have been added over in Lost City, but this usually seems to happen on a Saturday.

After visiting yesterday, the only thing that preyed on my mind was how on earth does this event work in Thorpe's favour? Don't get me wrong, it was a great event and I loved it, but surely they're not even breaking even with gate tickets and merchandise weighed against staffing and running costs? Anyone care to shed some light?

They have far fewer staff on the go, and running costs are mot too high. Also there will be food and merchandise sales which brings them to about even. The idea of the event is to make those guests happier so they return and bring along friends. Thorpe has built up a very bad reputation for long queues and summer nights is a chance to correct that. Personally I think they would be better off just extending normal hours until 10pm so more people can go and queues will be lowerd as some people will turn up later. They could also then have it so on select nights a coaster or 2 is open up to just annual passholders to encourage more sales. That would be a more viable way of making guests happeier about queues.

apparently there was 200 one night though... I know there was quite a few more on other nights... I mean even when there was apparently 500 when I visited on 1st of august just doesn't seem like the income from that amounted to enough?

Last night was apparently over a thousand, so, yeah, I think when you consider the entire park opens from 10am til 5pm for 8,000 guests, skeleton staff, minimum ride capacity, and only three hours for a thousand doesn't seem so bad?

I wouldn't like to attend with 1000 people. There was 200 on the night I visited and that was great, you could stay on the rides as much as you liked. With 1000 there would have been about 5-10min queues considering the rides were only on one train and seeing as I have already experienced the nights with no queues, I wouldn't want to go again during the peak summer.

The best option is to visit the event during July and if it is on again next year, I will be visiting in that period once again!

The longest I've ever queued is 80minutes because I plan my day well. I can survive the queues it's just when you have been to an event which has had no queues, the experience is made worse when you have to queue for 10minutes when it was walk in before. I can easily do queues I'm just saying when I pay £15 for an event I want to make the most of it and have it as good as possible.

The longest I've ever queued is 80minutes because I plan my day well. I can survive the queues it's just when you have been to an event which has had no queues, the experience is made worse when you have to queue for 10minutes when it was walk in before. I can easily do queues I'm just saying when I pay £15 for an event I want to make the most of it and have it as good as possible.

Summer Nights is meant to be minimal queues though, not no queues.

Yeah, it's nicer to have with no queues, but it's not like the event is any different to what it's being advertised if there's short queues.

Summer nights is exactly what advertised. I didn't say it wasn't, I just said I would rather go with no queues in July than go during peak summer with 10minute queues. My friend visited last year during August and only got on 10 rides in the 3 hours due to 15minute queues. This year I managed 39rides in 3 hours. I would much rather visit in July than August.

Even with ten rides, at £15 that's only £1.50 a ride, bargain. some people I have spoken with on normal days only expect to get about six rides in total. (I too hate it once I've been spoilt)

Summer nights is exactly what advertised.  My friend visited last year during August and only got on 10 rides in the 3 hours due to 15minute queues. 

Well I did get on each ride for 38p so I have been spoilt ;)

I haven't really been used to queues lately if I'm honest. I went to chessington and waited 30 minutes at longest for dragons fury at the beginning of summer and the attended thorpe park the day after. I had some free fastracks at thorpe so the longest we waited was 30mins for samurai. I then went to Portaventura for 4 days and we had express as it was an absolute bargain of €50 for unlimited for the whole stay so I didn't have to queue except for hurakan condor where I waited 30mins at most. I then visited summer nights and had no waits at all.

So yes I am used to not queueing at the moment and plan not to in the near future as will be visiting thorpe fright night on the preview night and then the first weekend and maybe the second aswell. This means I am planning not to queue as anyone would, most enthusiasts will plan their trips well to avoid queueing as much as possible :)

Oh my gosh it was so good. Completely worth a fiver for so many extra rides. The staff were friendly and efficient (wanting to get home quicker I bet lelelelele) 

Kinda annoyed I had to leave a half hour early, could have easily packed 5 more rides in at the very least!

I must go again, if not this year then 100% next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly will be doing the event in July next year. I think it much nicer to experience the nights with no queues at all than having to wait 20mins for the big rides. With 20min queues you can only get on around 10 rides verses the 40 rides I did back in July. If it's predicted busy next year I will probably give it a miss but if it is dead or 5minute queue I will definitely be down to the event next year regardless of whether it is £5/£10.

Despite doing just one this year, summer nights have certainly beenf a gastric this year and a big improvement in last years seeing live dj's plus the addition of teacup and Dodgems Inaddition to the coasters, tidal and stormy.

Wish I could've done a few more and hope they return next year (without a price hike) and just as good if not better than this years.

I didn't end up going this year hoping for next year though. I would love to see Samurai as part of the line up for Summer Nights just hope there isn't a price hike for next year.

Samurai in the dark would be great. Maybe sneaking in rush to the line up too would be a nice touch as well :P

If the price goes up to £10 for AP holders and £20 for the GP I wouldn't mind so much, when the night is completely empty it is totally worth the price you are paying. Also, if the price was put up I would imagine less people would attend the event making it even better value.

However, the switch over at 7pm was a commotion as on some nights some rides still had over 30minute queues during August. I would maybe like to see it from 8-11pm instead of 7-10pm meaning you get some more night riding and the normal guests have been filtered out of the park :)