Reserve n Ride

Marc

This is why I like the idea of reserve n ride. You are basically fastracking but for free. However everyone does it. Lets say the swarm queue is 60 mins. Without reserve n ride you would just get on one ride, the swarm. With reserve n ride, you could get on 3 rides; swarm being 60 mins, samurai 35 and vortex 20. Instead of using up 2 hours to get on 3 rides, you use up one.

You can if it is used like fastpass, but with the parks proposed and preposterous zero queue park where rides are RnR only you would still take two hours to ride those threem, queuing virtually one at a time.

You can if it is used like fastpass, but with the parks proposed and preposterous zero queue park where rides are RnR only you would still take two hours to ride those threem, queuing virtually one at a time.

Thorpe said they would be using it on the big rollercoasters only meaning that you can still do 3 rides in one hour instead of having them all on reserve n ride...

My only problem with this system is it's just another thing to go wrong. No matter how much you "trial" something technical, stuff still goes wrongs. Yes you can make a system very reliable much like a B&M but it can still go wrong. And we've seen from the trials that when the system crashes or it all goes wrong it gets very chaotic. I mean you can't not let anyone ride because reserve n ride is down for an hour. Just recently Thorpe's ticketing system crashed online due to high demand for the £20 sale, this will be the same. If they think of a suitable contingency plan for when the system goes down (even if it is turning it off for an hour and just giving out 1000 of the paper tickets or whatever) then it has potential.

Thorpe said they would be using it on the big rollercoasters only meaning that you can still do 3 rides in one hour instead of having them all on reserve n ride...

That is not what they said initially, they said the worlds first totally queueless theme park. I think even when they 'clarified' that point they still said 'major rides', which I'd put at everything from the likes of Quantum and Depth Charge up.

I don't think even they really know where they are going with it as it is a trial after all, the results of which should shape the future use.

I'd be a hypocrite if I was against fastrack really.. I've used it at towers and Thorpe and often buy the maze fastrack at fright nights too.

Regarding this reserve n ride I think if they can make it work it will replace fastrack and it will simply become a system which is free for all but if you wish you can pay and get sooner time slots.

I can remeber the queue for 7 being horrible a few years ago due to fast tracks.

The use of fast track can be so demoralising. Long queues are made unbearable when you are only moving every five minutes or so. You then compare this to say Europa Park (in August) where the queues were just over an hour but they barely stopped moving. I found this a lot easier to deal with than being in queues where you have time to try and sit down somewhere as you haven't moved in ages.

I've just remembered, Reserve n Ride reminds me of when Legoland Windsor did a similar system (less technological) with Jungle Coaster.

As people have pointed out, my smart phone just about lasts the day with a bit of usage. Someone I know was there on the trial day and the countdown drained her battery ridiculously fast.

I was there the first day of this 'trial' and it was a total disaster. I don`t have a smart phone and my son couldn`t get a signal on his anyway. We queued for a ticket and didn`t move an inch forward in the 20+ minutes we stood there. Finally I challenged one of the staff (again) and was told they had opened the lines normally. If they had done that in the first place we would have had a ride and moved on already. Seriously NOT happy, especially as the day was a birthday treat.

If people want to book a time, fair enough - let them book. I just want to go to the ride, queue as normal and get on it. I don`t want to go shopping - I go to ride coasters. I also don`t want to have my riding planned or do silly little rides while waiting for my ticket time.

Thorpe Park will not be visited by me again until they sort this out properly!

• 2 weeks later...

In a 'normal' queue, you could join the queue at 6:00 and actually get on the ride at 6:40 if that's the time you happen to reach the front of the queue, so this would make sense.

I'm very happy they've kept that in mind :D

Yeah I did think this, but then I assume there must be a cut off point at which it will not allow any more people to join the "queue"

• 1 year later...

I seen that Reserve n Ride is returning this weekend.

Maximise Your Day

Come to THORPE PARK Resort on 17th, 18th and 19th October over our Fright Nights weekend to trial our new Reserve N’ Ride virtual queuing system. It’s a new FREE system for guests wishing to beat the queues for our five hair-raising mazes; The Blair Witch Project, My Bloody Valentine, The Cabin in The Woods, SAW Alive and Studio 13. It’s easy to use and saves you bags of time to enjoy more scares in our Resort. 

Trial Dates 2014

17th, 18th, 19th October 

Taken from Thorpe Park Website

Bit of a noob here but a few things I don't quite get about RnR

1) am I right in thinking normal queing doesn't happen?

2) can you reride on reservable attractions?

3) does it increase queue length?

4) surely this means that little trick of jumping in a queue right before park close doesn't work? Or do virtual queue lines close at park close just as normal ones do? Or do they only allow you to join if the queue will be cleared by close?

Bit of a noob here but a few things I don't quite get about RnR

1) am I right in thinking normal queing doesn't happen?

2) can you reride on reservable attractions?

3) does it increase queue length?

4) surely this means that little trick of jumping in a queue right before park close doesn't work? Or do virtual queue lines close at park close just as normal ones do? Or do they only allow you to join if the queue will be cleared by close?

1)  There is a 'standby queue' for the mazes, which is just normal queueing.  They'll let a small number of people from the normal queue through, but priority is given more to those who have virtually waited with RnR.

2)  If the park is busy enough, a straight reride is unlikely (ie, getting off and going straight back on), but there's nothing stopping you virtually queueing for the same maze twice in one night.

3)  Yes and no.  You may have to wait longer virtually in some cases, but that will also depend on when you do what.  However, whilst you're waiting virtually with RnR, you can still do other rides.  Once it's your time to ride, you can join the queue and it shouldn't take long before you're in the maze.

4)  Not too sure when RnR stops allowing people to make bookings.  However, there's nothing stopping you joining the standby queue just before the park closes. :)

I am visiting on saturday and fear for RNR. If the system is executed well, it has a potential to work and move the queues to other attractions, alas it doesn't get rid of them. However, remember that the mazes are an added extra meaning that queues will be much less busy than they were in the summer months when RNR was active on the coasters.

My main worry is ratios. Firstly, I hope it's like in summer where no one actually knew about RNR, meaning that it was like a free fastracking tool. However, thorpe need to get their ratios right to allow main queuers to actually be able to get in. A stated 60minute wait time for main queue with RNR active could easily be up to 180mins. Thorpe need to sort out their ratios and have about 12RNR and fastracks per 5minutes to the main queue ratio, meaning that the queue moves up equally. However, this then means thorpe need it implemented on their system so a 12people queue is a 5minute wait for RNR etc.

I will be using RNR but for the first maze of the day I will be main queueing and don't want to have to be waiting hours because of hoards of queue cutters infront of me. Thorpe need the ratios right if this ever wants to work which they have not been in the past.

On a side note the website has changed! www.reservenride.com

My main worry is ratios. Firstly, I hope it's like in summer where no one actually knew about RNR, meaning that it was like a free fastracking tool. However, thorpe need to get their ratios right to allow main queuers to actually be able to get in. A stated 60minute wait time for main queue with RNR active could easily be up to 180mins. Thorpe need to sort out their ratios and have about 12RNR and fastracks per 5minutes to the main queue ratio, meaning that the queue moves up equally. However, this then means thorpe need it implemented on their system so a 12people queue is a 5minute wait for RNR etc.

12 RnR guests per 5 minutes?  That equates to 144 people per hour, making the whole system literally pointless!

The point of RnR is that once you arrive, you shouldn't need to queue - you've already done your queueing (virtually).  I agree the ratios need to right and that the main queue times should be advertised including RnR, but since the point of the system is the majority of people use RnR and just a few use the standby queue, the ratios should largely favour RnR!

If you go in the standby queue you will be waiting for ages even if the queue looks short because Thorpe will be pushing R'n'R and it'll work even better at FN as while queueing virtually for a maze you can do a coaster. Go tothe maze, queue vivirtually for the next one and go on another coaster. Simple. Fastrack and R'n'R will get priority over the main queue. Simple.

12 RnR guests per 5 minutes? That equates to 144 people per hour, making the whole system literally pointless!

The point of RnR is that once you arrive, you shouldn't need to queue - you've already done your queueing (virtually). I agree the ratios need to right and that the main queue times should be advertised including RnR, but since the point of the system is the majority of people use RnR and just a few use the standby queue, the ratios should largely favour RnR!

Just think about it though. The mazes only take 12 people every 2-3mins so that would be giving RNR and fastrack a 50:50ratio towards the main queue. The mazes are ridiculously low throughput and I have a feeling its just going to result in the main queue being about 50people let through per hour...

I think that will be a great system when also executed well but its also about 'abusing' the system in a way. If there are 4 of you in your group and you all book a maze at the same time, your done within a couple of hours. However, this tactic relies on other people not knowing how to use the system effectively.

Admittedly I haven't been to Fright Nights this year so don't know first hand what the throughputs for mazes are like so far, but I'm pretty certain that the mazes have throughputs of more than 360pph, so I think you're exaggerating things just a bit there.

Also, there shouldn't be a 50:50 split. RnR is the main way to queue for mazes during these trials, it should be prioritized over the standby queue.

Admittedly I haven't been to Fright Nights this year so don't know first hand what the throughputs for mazes are like so far, but I'm pretty certain that the mazes have throughputs of more than 360pph, so I think you're exaggerating things just a bit there.

Also, there shouldn't be a 50:50 split. RnR is the main way to queue for mazes during these trials, it should be prioritized over the standby queue.

And this is where the balance of positive reactions comes from...

Those who are using RnR, see it as a means to jump the normal queue... So if you've not been stood in a slow moving queue for an hour because of Fastrack and RnR taking the precedence over you, then of COURSE you'll be positive about the system...

It's a similar problem with Disney trialing no standby queue for Midway Mania, in some normal guests they are unable to actually use the attraction at all because they don't have Fastpass+ etc...

I do agree with you there Benin, which is why I've been wanting the park to trial it with no standby queue for the post couple of months now. Perhaps they just want to introduce it very slowly to ensure the system itself works and get people to understand the system.

No one can know the true popularity or use of the system until they try it with no standby queue in my opinion (as long as there's a non-smartphone option as well). I do hope Thorpe try it next year, just to see how well it works.