Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

^ Okay MINOR SPOILERS... :P

I didn't get split up in MBV, but if it's like Experiment 10, you regroup half way through. 

In Cabin in the Woods, you won't be split up if you grab onto a friend and go into the same rooms together! Remember some of the doors lock behind you!

In Experiment 10, they pushed half the group to one side of a room and the other half to another. Then the two sides go off in the different directions. Nothing really scary! But like I said, in MBV I don't think we got split up. If we did it wasn't interesting enough for us to notice!

I agree with Altitude above, last year there was a group of 6 of us on both CITW and MBV and on neither of them did we get split up. IMO both mazes was the weakest last year... Hopefully they can change my point of view this year. 

Thanks for the replies! Doesn't sound bad at all tbh, I guess I'll hold onto my friends in CITW and just hope we don't get split up in MBV, haha.

I got split up in My Bloody Valentine and Cabin in The Woods on two separate occasions, but I didn't do anything to prevent it (as I didn't mind).  In fact it only happened in CITW as I laughed at an actor  :lol:

It isn't too bad though as there are other groups of people around you - if there isn't then just wait for some people to show up.

I got split up in My Bloody Valentine and Cabin in The Woods on two separate occasions, but I didn't do anything to prevent it (as I didn't mind).  In fact it only happened in CITW as I laughed at an actor  :lol:

It isn't too bad though as there are other groups of people around you - if there isn't then just wait for some people to show up.

Ahh, okay. So like what do they do to you?? Push you away from your group and then leave you alone? If that happens to me on either I'll probably just wait for somebody to show up. Hopefully it won't though.

Ahh, okay. So like what do they do to you?? Push you away from your group and then leave you alone? If that happens to me on either I'll probably just wait for somebody to show up. Hopefully it won't though.

Well on My Bloody Valentine where the maze splits up they directed me the other way, whereas on Cabin in The Woods I laughed at an actor so she made me sit on a chair for like 10 minutes haha!  Well actually, she did completely split me up from my brother a different time on the preview night but I believe they were told not to do that unless the people look fearless after that.

Well on My Bloody Valentine where the maze splits up they directed me the other way, whereas on Cabin in The Woods I laughed at an actor so she made me sit on a chair for like 10 minutes haha!  Well actually, she did completely split me up from my brother a different time on the preview night but I believe they were told not to do that unless the people look fearless after that.

Ahhh, okay. I guess if they direct me the other way on MBV, I'll just go where my friends go. They can't force you can they?? I hope not anyway, lol.

And hopefully I won't be made to do that haha, I know I won't look fearless anyway so I should be okay.

Thanks for the replies!

The only maze I have ever been split up on was I believe Saw. ( but it could have been one of the pre paramount mazes ) The scene with the hairdresser and her chair. She picked me out the group sat me on the chair and span we around on it laughing for like 2 mins while my group continued. I had to walk through around 1/2 the maze alone... Quite fun tbf and sort of a free Face it Alone :)

The last true conga line maze they added was Saw. The passing they didn't really care about you splitting up after the tunnel, and with X10 obviously they encouraged splitting up.

It would be interesting to know the true ideology behind free roaming vs conga line, and why it remains in place for Saw. 

In fairness, mazes about a serial killer, evil governments killing teenagers, a miner going on killing sprees or deranged madmen making innocent people star in a horror 'film' are a lot less family-friendly then creating a profile on Tinder...

It's a difficult one; Thorpe are trying to be welcoming to families again, but are still focusing on the 16-24 year old market.  It seems like they want to make Fright Nights the time for 16-24 year olds and no one else, and then make the rest of the year more open to everyone.  

Best way to go about getting in the family market?  Probably not.  Good way to improve Fright Nights?  Yeah, I think so.  

Good way to improve Fright Nights?  Yeah, I think so.  

How does advertising on Tinder make the event better?

Thorpe's use of social media is always a bit iffy though... Always with the 'BANTZ' exchange on there, like recently with the Dungeons...

Much lad, very BANTZ...

How does advertising on Tinder make the event better?

It doesn't.  My point more was making Fright Nights specifically just for the older market (by recommending it to be 13+) gives the park more opportunities to make the event better overall.  Specifically, gives them a chance to allow the roaming characters to do more, and maybe even have some decent park-wide theming (a long shot, I know).

Fright Nights should always be a more adult based event.  However, I think they missed a trick by not advertising Blair Witch as being more of a "family" attraction, as it might actually get some good reviews then as people won't be expecting it to be scary.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think calling it a "family" attraction would be the best way about it.  A lot more emphasis on the fact it's a 2* scare rating and how it should be a tamer experience than the rest is needed though. 

It doesn't.  My point more was making Fright Nights specifically just for the older market (by recommending it to be 13+) gives the park more opportunities to make the event better overall.  Specifically, gives them a chance to allow the roaming characters to do more, and maybe even have some decent park-wide theming (a long shot, I know).

That's down to budget and effort, not based upon the target market... It certainly doesn't stop other parks across the world who get guests of all ages milling about the park having some theming (even if it's cheap Halloween Poundland stuff)...

Budget and effort, two things Merlin seem to not be too happy with giving lots of these days, unless the park is struggling (which arguably goes at the expense of other park budgets because of how Merlin's big pot of money is operated)...

What would the roaming characters do more of? I think that's an issue with roaming characters (and horror actors as a whole) in that they are very limited as to what they can do... The director last year at Thorpe was a difference, because he could actually talk and interact on the fly, compared to the You're Next people who just did the cliched jump and try and scare people... It's such a cliched trend throughout them all though...

What else could such roaming actors in limited roles do though is the question? I'd much rather the characters be a lot more talkative and interactive rather than dull and jumpy... But it's up to Thorpe (and other parks) to actually try and train the actors or evolve the roles more to suit this...

I guess there's a difference though, between the actors merely screaming at you or actually describing in gory detail how they're going to dismember and murder you. And then there's props, I couldn't see free-roaming actors in Chessington crouching in the bushes pretending to nibble on lifelike corpses. 

I like the fact they are advertising fight nights in a new and good way as a lot of people use Tinder, but I don't like the fact they are giving away the 16 day horror pass as this means even more people using fastback and the normal queues pph will be even worse

Heh - if you think Thorpe with maze fastrack is bad you've seen nothing till you see how much universal sell!

I can usually overlook Thorpe's DIY marketing style, but that video in particular was completely cringe worthy. Kind of makes you appreciate the fact that the scare actors don't actually "act".

On the subject of Fright Nights forgetting about the family market, I don't see why its an issue. HHN doesn't market itself at kids even though Universal studios is a family oriented theme park, and that's never worked against them. Merlin have to look bigger picture too. With events popping up left right and center in the UK recently they need to stay competitive, and Thorpe is the only park in their estate which is solely focused on scares. The Towers could potentially dabble, but you're hardly gonna see Sealife or legoland competing for that patch of territory.

I have never agreed with the whole "it's okay because there is something worse" argument. Thorpe's overselling of Fastrack last year was diabolical.

One week to go... Are you ready to meet the Director?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152702122565867

Nice Experiment 10 audio in the background! I miss that maze (in it's 2011 form anyway).