Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Basically:1) at 5pm the Park closes and everyone leaves. 2) make sure you have the eventbrite ticket printed off3) once the Park is clear of day guests (5:45 ish) they'll start letting Pass holders in4) this happens by you joining the cattle pen queue set up by the ticket boothes, the staff then manage the front taking the paper ticket you have printed off at home from you5) walk up to the turnstiles as usual and scan your pass6) go in and enjoyDon't worry, there are lots of staff ensuring no one jumps that queue or tries to sneak up to the turnstiles just to scan their pass. It's a tried and tested system that works well.

Thats SCBs post just bumping it for you. As jack said a lot of tpm members will be there going around the park however it's not necessary to get to the park about 5:45 as thats when people start getting let in. Its on a thursday this year so should not be as busy as it was last year and weather might put some people off. They then hold everyone at the dome until 6 from what ive heard and everyone is let past at the same time. Getting there before 5:30 is not necessary unless you want to go in park but bear in mind the park will close at 5pm.

Remembering that VIP Pass holders get access to the Park from 5pm, they have an event between 5pm - 7pm.

Going back to the music, like I said there's every chance it was merely a place holder piece while they wait for the actual track to be commissioned/decided upon.

As for RnR, I really think Thorpe's heart is in the right place with this system, and its important to realise the "perfect" system doesn't exist yet because it still lacks extensive testing. Thorpe aren't stupid, if they really believed the system worked and worked well, they would have rolled it out all day every day by now. For the time being though, they're just collecting crucial data for its evolution.

The crux of it is that Queue times are absolutely crippling the park when it hits peak, and while we can go all blue sky and talk about how they should invest in more cars, staff and maintenance, the reality is Merlin can't and won't give them that sort of budget. Its easy to sit in an office and go "Yup lets make virtual queue lines with these rules." but until its put into practice no one will ever know how well its going to work.

We're not talking about building a roller coaster here, where the laws of physics tell you what can and cannot be done, we're talking about something that has high psychological implications, masses of fluctuation and great levels of unpredictability. In my opinion - It's going to take a while for them to come up with a system that works, but they need to start with it somewhere.

Will the ride queues be shorter though? Where will those who would normally be queuing for the mazes go if there's no standby one?

5 mazes, that usually gain 2 hours worth of queue... So that's another couple of thousand now roaming the park instead of being in one place...

Usually the rides have shorter queue times during Fright Nights, simply because there's more attractions and many people are wanting to do the mazes.  This is more so the case in the first couple of weekends.  If there's no standby queue for the mazes, then in theory, the rest of the park is going to be no worse than a busy summer day, at least that's how I see it.  

If this trial doesn't use standby queues, then that'll be great test of the system in a way closer to how it has been designed to work.  The park itself isn't ridiculously busy and all guests are redistributed amongst the usual line up.  It allows the system to be trialled properly, get appropriate feedback and hopefully build the system into something that works and can be understood.  

As someone who is vehemently against the ridiculousness R&R being used without a standby queue on rides, I actually think it is a good idea for the FN mazes. 

With tightly controlled allocations incorporating the fastrack users (also timed), it should work very well; the throughputs are much less susceptible to downtime or reductions, are manipulable by batches to smooth over minor variations in demand that do occur, and there's plenty else to do with all the rides open. Win win win. I hope they lose the standby for this trial, that queue would be horrible.

Okay thank you so much, very informative! We're currently just debating whether to go for the day too or just for the evening haha!

Thorpe are saying on their twitter it starts at 6:30 this year, though the tickets say otherwise. maybe we start to get let in by 6 an then everything will be open and ready by half past?

My guess is everyone will be let in when all checks are done for the mazes and all staff are in position etc. If we don't get let past until 6:30, at least we can head straight to a maze and hopefully the queue won't have built up yet. Plans are for two train operations on coasters so I doubt they will get more than a 5-10minute queue. However, I would expect mazes to be busier however the weather forecast isn't great and it's on a Thursday so hopefully won't be too bad!

I would reccomened getting there 5:30-5:45 if you are just going for the evening. That way, if the mazes do actually open at 6, you can just go straight to one of them. If you are going for the day, you will have to exit the park and there will be a longer wait outside the park but I beleive they start letting people in about 5:45 to clear the crowds so nothing more than 30mins! Bear in mind if you are there earlier, you will be at the front of the crowds and if you feel like running you will be one of the first people in the mazes!

We are going to be some of the first people ever to experience studio 13 though which is great :D

For me, I would love it if they kept the old asylum music for studio 13. I think its way to good to go unused. It creates such a good atmosphere and I don't think that you would be able to replace it.

I also loved the atmosphere of Asylum... The music outside while queuing built the tension well. It was load aswell what was good. I hope studio 13 uses it. Look forward to Sunday!

As long as the whole floor of Studio 13 isn't green carpet (as it was fitted for the Braniac event) then I'm happy!  :lol:

In seriousness, my guess is that the main room of Studio 13 will be the same concept as Asylum (strobes above the scenery), and I think they will reuse some props and walls.  However I would imagine that the first corridor section will be completely different (judging by the picture of the window which I assume is at the beginning), and the end corridor will probably be similar.

I am not expecting the entire maze to be brand new, and I don't mind them reusing things as long as it doesn't still feel like an Asylum.

Well exactly, the guy said it was for Studio 13 so he knows this because of the video, so that character is at the park in a maze, simple really...

It said roaming actors before, which is why I said that in the video it says that it's for studio 13.

"So, to sum up tonight FRIGHT NIGHTS experience: It was a great improvement on last year (even though last year was amazing). Cabin In The woods has had some lovely new additions. Studio 13: The Motel was purely stunning and is definitely one of the best mazes there this year, and yes the chainsaw is still there!! My Bloody Valentine was exactly the same as last year, which still makes it a brilliant maze. We would rank FRIGHT NIGHTS 10/10 based on the 3 mazes we witnessed tonight and the roaming actors. We still have to see whats new/changed in SAW: Alive! and The Blair Witch Project."

Theme Park Collective