New For 2015?

OldFarmerDean

Tbh I'd be very surprised if we saw any new ride at all next year.

Any way why add a new ride when we have the major dark ride coming 2016 plus half the patk (namely Canada Creek & Rumbas) seem to be rotting away crying for a retheme or atleast TLC.

To be honest I would prefer an overhaul of Rumba, Loggers Leap and Colossus (which all desperately need it) to a new ride next year, but in the way of investments a Ghost Train really isn't much at all (if done on a small scale), yet it can still be really good.  Plus they are announcing something and I don't think that an overhaul would be something that they would advertise.

Thorpe would advertise a ride retheme as new and fair play, Legoland have done it multiple times with their areas. All Pirate Shores saw was a delayed updated play area and some decent effects added to a water ride but that has done them well. A ride retheme is better than nothing and in many of the rides cases desperately needed! Food for thought, the majority of the park has had all the big head branding removed apart from one little area, Canada Creek. Both Wild Wongs Noodle Bar and the hot dogs there have the big heads. It's clear Loggers could do with a nice little touch up as well so maybe that's what they'll do (would work in favour of the families as well!)

Not getting this ghost train vibe though. Don't see why Thorpe should get one (assuming we're talking about ghost trains and not rides like Duel). A fun fair esque ghost train just wouldn't fit into the park at all (okay not much these days does but still), would take up room, really wouldn't pull in the crowds "oh look we've opened a ghost train you can ride for £3 at your local fair" just seems unnecessary. A proper styled haunted house would be nice like Haunted Mansion or Duel but not a ghost train as the public see them. Although I'd still rather Thorpe did something unique if they were to get a haunted ride and do something more mysterious like Mystic Manor or something, not a standard haunted house style. Plus, we'd have seen planning permission for one by now. Rethemes don't generally need planning permission (depending on what they're doing) and any permission they do need they still have time to apply for.

Not getting this ghost train vibe though. Don't see why Thorpe should get one (assuming we're talking about ghost trains and not rides like Duel). A fun fair esque ghost train just wouldn't fit into the park at all (okay not much these days does but still), would take up room, really wouldn't pull in the crowds "oh look we've opened a ghost train you can ride for £3 at your local fair" just seems unnecessary. A proper styled haunted house would be nice like Haunted Mansion or Duel but not a ghost train as the public see them. Although I'd still rather Thorpe did something unique if they were to get a haunted ride and do something more mysterious like Mystic Manor or something, not a standard haunted house style. Plus, we'd have seen planning permission for one by now. Rethemes don't generally need planning permission (depending on what they're doing) and any permission they do need they still have time to apply for.

I'm not on about a fair type Ghost Train.  There are plenty of ghost trains that take up little space yet are done to a high quality - see Terror Castle at Fun City, Brean and Ghost Train at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

It could be an announcement of a high ropes course like Alton. That would keep in line with the disappointment of an investment I'm expecting next year. They are currently so cautious in investing that they seem to have forget that you need to spend money to make money. In the entertainment business you cant just expect people to keep returning for nothing new. I know that the large 2016 investment will draw people in but the current lack in investments is really annoying. 

One would hope that Thorpe would be aiming to reinvigorate the UK dark ride industry with something more elaborate than a Ghost Train like attraction...

But it would be a perfect small step to take toward the 2016 dark ride. Also, it would add another dark ride to the lineup which Thorpe needs desperately.

But Thorpe doesn't need a tacky haunted house. I'm sorry but the one at Blackpool as quirky as it is isn't exactly high quality. Haunted Mansion is a high quality haunted house ride. The park shouldn't invest in an outdated thing, they don't need to take steps, that'll take forever! They lept into the thrill market with a 10 looping roller coaster! Let's get a high quality modern dark ride in the first place and build on that, not go back on ourselves. There is just no place for a ghost train at Thorpe, it wouldn't pull the guests in, it would look outdated if it were like the one at Blackpool etc. By all means build a haunted themed ride around the Headless Monk or something but put some money into it! Not just a quick job ghost train.

If Thorpe were gonna add a ghost train to the line up next season (or, indeed, any substantial ride to the line up), then we'd have seen planning permission by now; something which I believe Ricky and others have said in this thread already.

Anything added to the line up next season will be minor at best and require next-to-no planning permission.  So I can't really see a ghost train coming next year (or, indeed, any time soon - there's much better choices out there in my opinion!).

But Thorpe doesn't need a tacky haunted house. I'm sorry but the one at Blackpool as quirky as it is isn't exactly high quality. Haunted Mansion is a high quality haunted house ride. The park shouldn't invest in an outdated thing, they don't need to take steps, that'll take forever! They lept into the thrill market with a 10 looping roller coaster! Let's get a high quality modern dark ride in the first place and build on that, not go back on ourselves. There is just no place for a ghost train at Thorpe, it wouldn't pull the guests in, it would look outdated if it were like the one at Blackpool etc. By all means build a haunted themed ride around the Headless Monk or something but put some money into it! Not just a quick job ghost train.

Yes but if Thorpe did the job properly then it could be good. It doesn't have to be a huge investment, but small details and nice theming can be done cheaply - I know Blackpool's isn't a great comparison as its got scenes from all different years, whereas Thorpe's would be all new (obviously). It doesn't strictly have to be a Ghost Train though, it could be a similar ride but with a specific theme or just another small scale dark ride.

There is a place for a small scale dark ride at Thorpe, they only have one and that's a coaster anyway.

But it would be a perfect small step to take toward the 2016 dark ride. Also, it would add another dark ride to the lineup which Thorpe needs desperately.

What would be the point in opening a ride that within a year would be (hopefully) made to look cheap or outdated?

Whilst there is still a place for Ghost Trains with modern effects (Bla Taget at Grona Lund is a good example), with Thorpe planning a multi million dark ride, a old style ghost train isn't what's needed...

There is a place for a small scale dark ride at Thorpe, they only have one and that's a coaster anyway.

The trouble is, whilst it may seem like there's space, it's not so easy and find a space and plonk a building down.  And remember that Thorpe are restricted on the amount of how much floorspace they can have for buildings (and with this dark ride, they are nearing the agreed limit).  

It would be nice to see a small scale dark ride - or, indeed, any indoor attraction (I wouldn't grumble at seeing a small Sealife at Thorpe to be honest...) - they'd have to be careful and creative.  I also wouldn't want to see one for the sake of having one either...

Remember that Thorpe are restricted on the amount of how much floorspace they can have for buildings (and with this dark ride, they are nearing the agreed limit).  

Unless they re-vamp the dome, to an all year round entertainment area for 'hotel' guests and even locals. I know it's been talked about, but with 2016 happening, it's prob taken a lot of money away from whatever was discussed for the dome.

This ghost train conversation is just daft. 

It's better than a Topspin conversation! ;)

I think the park should get a ghost train something like this

I think it would be an amazing ride/ experience and be at the top league of dark rides and not look old or tacky in anyway

;)

That's just taking the worst example of the ride type though, that does look dire.

Why on earth would they get a ghost train? They have a multimillion £ investment in 2016 which is a dark ride. Why would they install a ghost train if they are getting that. I think I would prefer a top spin converstion to this one. Atleast a top spin could possibly happen and is hated for being a top spin. A ghost train makes no logical sense at all.

Talocan is a great experience, but you have to be immune to many things, including:

Lot' of smoke. Thick smoke. Impossible to breath for a good amount of time during the ride.

Lot's of foreign noise, blasted loudly through speakers situated at some points just a couple metres in front of you. 

Fire. Oh wait.

More spins then Rameses

Half the seating, is poor seating. The experience on the back is pretty dire to that of the front.

And then, of course, to pull that off, what we call a good, topspin, you'll need:

An interactive queue line

An indoor queue line

A well managed queue line

An Interesting queue line

A plotful queue line. 

A short, queue line. 

A huge shell to cover half the ride in 'theming'

A customised soundtrack

Lots of effects for an 'immersive' experience

Characters portrayed throughout the journey through the queue line and ride experience

Interlocking themes

Good maintenance

Oh wait, we're talking about thorpe. The only thing they could do there is the 9th one, and it'd only work every 2 cycles.

I love topspins but it just wouldn't work at Thorpe.