FlowRider

Marc

There were always people on in on Sunday. 

One thing this has done is open up that half of the beach to the older demographic with tables and chairs set out for spectators and people being allowed into the small pool section on that side (on Friday they had a staff member standing under the bridge stopping people from going one side to the other)

I could see it being popular during the days where Summer Nights are occurring in the evening.

After all, some people will turn up for the 10am-6pm/7pm day, then stay for the extra 3 hours for Summer Nights.  Some people will be more than happy to take an hour away from doing rides to experience the Flow Rider, given the fact they could be spending 11 hours on park!  

They were still offering the 2 for 1 offer on Sunday as well.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone knew it was going to happen ... THE PRICES HAVE DROPPED :D

Haven't been to the park while it's been open so I'm unsure on how popular it has been, but on their website it now states 15 quid per person or 12.50 per person for a group of 4 people.

To be honest I thought the original price was good, so I think 15 pounds for an hour is actually really good. I may try it out next time I go depending if the person with me wants a go. 

Link - https://www.thorpepark.com/events-experiences/events/flow-rider/

£50 for 4 people!? It was originally £80... I thought Thorpe were doing pretty decent with this to be honest, although it wasn't that busy today, mind you the weather was dreadful :P Nice to see they've put the prices down though, still wouldn't want to waste 1-2 hours of ride time for it.

People keep saying an hour though... Hut half hour of it is training, and then the other half hour using it properly, which don't forget the time is split between 3 or 4 people, so in theory you would get about 7/8 minutes just to yourself in that hour (plus about 7/8 minutes training). But I still think 15quid is great and would love to try it, just got to prey for nice weather - how do you actually go about booking it?

Everyone knew it was going to happen ... THE PRICES HAVE DROPPED :D

Everyone knew it was going to happen ... THE PRICES HAVE RISEN!  :( 

It was £12.50 per person (as the bogof never went away), it is now £15.00 per person. It astounds me how many people fall for these marketing things, I hate the standard Merlin artificially inflated price to discount structure, instead of just pricing things honestly. I blame DFS.

Anyway, still think it's pretty good value for a slightly unusual experience. Do they make you wear a wetsuit? I imagine they'd be pretty rank by now!

Everyone knew it was going to happen ... THE PRICES HAVE RISEN!  :(

It was £12.50 per person (as the bogof never went away), it is now £15.00 per person. It astounds me how many people fall for these marketing things, I hate the standard Merlin artificially inflated price to discount structure, instead of just pricing things honestly. I blame DFS.

Anyway, still think it's pretty good value for a slightly unusual experience. Do they make you wear a wetsuit? I imagine they'd be pretty rank by now!

People might have to dip them in disinfectant tanks, I know they do it down for the flow rider where I work, as it prolongs wetsuit life bit then again I wouldnt know if they implement this or not, I think I'd bring my own wetsuit if they didn't as that would jut be minging.

I expect they'll have loads of wetsuits and that there's certain rules they have to follow for cleaning it.  There's Flowriders around, and I guess many of them do have wetsuit hire as an option, so it'll be a problem already thought about and hopefully solved.  As long as Thorpe have sought advice about it - which no doubt they will have - then there's nothing to worry about in my opinion. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So popped into the park today to ask about the flow rider as nobody working at the entrance had a clue what we were on about... Got told it last 1hour 30mins altogether... The first 30minutes being getting changed and watching a briefing video, and then an hour on the wave with an instructor... And here's the bit that is new to me... With up to 10 people!? Stuff that... So decided to go have a look at thorpe water ski next door, and for 38quid each are having knee/wakeboarding lesson and pass on a cable run on the lake for 2 hours, more expensive but can guarantee it will be money more well spent!

So popped into the park today to ask about the flow rider as nobody working at the entrance had a clue what we were on about... Got told it last 1hour 30mins altogether... The first 30minutes being getting changed and watching a briefing video, and then an hour on the wave with an instructor... And here's the bit that is new to me... With up to 10 people!? Stuff that... So decided to go have a look at thorpe water ski next door, and for 38quid each are having knee/wakeboarding lesson and pass on a cable run on the lake for 2 hours, more expensive but can guarantee it will be money more well spent!

Up to 10 people is ridiculous, thought it was only 3 people? Defiantly won't be trying this out in the summer then.

Up to 10 people is ridiculous, thought it was only 3 people? Defiantly won't be trying this out in the summer then.

You are very misguided if you think the max on a flowrider was 3 people. I work on a Flowrider in my home town and I know EVERY flowrider on the planet has a max session capacity of 10, sometimes 12 on larger flowriders. It's not so that Thorpe can rake money of of people. From my experience I know that all even if fully booked can get a good 10+ goes on the thing which in the case of flowriders is good value considering some charge the same price as thorpe is offering for an hour or less, most people I have taught on their haven't really cared that they were with other random people, and all that I have had so far have enjoyed it. Thorpe bringing in one of those I feel is still a great Idea, seems very popular which doesn't surprise me and trust me you can get a good few go's put of it! :)