Rough Coasters

Swarm123

I am going up to Alton Towers for a couple of days and was wondering if any of the coasters are rough and give you a banging headache e.g. Like Colossus at Thorpe. As if possible I will leave them to last so as not to spoil the day as only have two days there as live to far away. I have not been to Alton for many years so any advice great fully received..

The smiler is the most uncomfortable ride you will ever come across if you get a bad train. Train 3 but only train 3 can leave you like you were just beaten up. There are 2 massive jolts which will turn your shoulders to dust, apart from that all the other trains are fine. Another ride which is drastically rough is Rita, which you could liken to a car doing 60 mph on square wheels. It can be ok but in the heat its not and can be painful if you have your head back. My advice would be to not even waste your time with rita and do the smiler last both days so you avoid the queue.

The smiler is the most uncomfortable ride you will ever come across if you get a bad train. Train 3 but only train 3 can leave you like you were just beaten up. There are 2 massive jolts which will turn your shoulders to dust, apart from that all the other trains are fine. Another ride which is drastically rough is Rita, which you could liken to a car doing 60 mph on square wheels. It can be ok but in the heat its not and can be painful if you have your head back. My advice would be to not even waste your time with rita and do the smiler last both days so you avoid the queue.

I always thought that was train 4 tbh, from what I have experienced but then even that wasn't that bad for me tbh. 

Thanks guys for the information... I will leave the Smiler and Rita to last just trying to avoid getting a bad headache as want to spend my time on the rides rather than waiting for the headache to subside... I will also make sure I brace myself we'll during the ride...I must admit have had decent ride counts at Thorpe recently but noticed the next day the tops of my shoulders are very sore I am guessing from doing too many barrel rolls on various rides rather than sunburn with the recent nice weather.. :)

Smiler is unpredictable - it's not as simple as there being good trains and bad trains as there's a lot of variation between rows too. It's not a "hands up" coaster though - you will want to brace, at least until you know the ride well enough to know when you do and don't need to (much like Colossus in that respect).

Rita isn't too bad by any means. It vibrates a bit, but at least there's no headbanging.

The smiler is the most uncomfortable ride you will ever come across if you get a bad train. Train 3 but only train 3 can leave you like you were just beaten up.

Dude, you need to ride more rides of you think the smiler is the roughest ride you've been on.

Maybe the roughest steel but otherwise even I have ridden rougher.

People tend to find Rita and smiler rough, but I don't. It varies person to person.

In terms of coaster roughness

Runaway Mine Train- It's a powered coaster so it's not very rough

Nemesis- For a 20 year old ride it's beautifully smooth, it may not be 100% but the last few rides I've had have been smooth as silk

Oblivion- very smooth

Air- it's smooth

Spinball- varies by ride, some train are rougher than others but shouldn't be anything too painful

Rita- probably the roughest coaster at the park. The ride does bash you about a fair amount.

Thirteen- nothing rough on this coaster

Smiler- first half of the ride isn't too bad, bad it does gets pretty rough on the second half especially on the last 3 inversions. If you're on trains 3 or 5 you should get a decent ride but on train 4 be prepared for rattly jolty ride.

That's my opinions on roughness but rides vary on different days and times.

The Smiler has a weird problem of either being okay or awful when it comes to how smooth/rough it is, the Cobra Roll is always dreadful, so brace yourself towards the end of the ride.

As with all rides, everyone has different experiences when it comes to roughness, so there's really no way to know if a coaster is rough unless you try it for yourself.

Rita.

It's horrible in my opinion. Launch is good, but airtime is weak, restraints hurt on the transitions and it's so rough almost all the way round. My shoulders are always sore for a few days afterwards, and that made a lot of the other coasters less pleasant.

As for The Smiler, I had a good ride on it, so I can't really comment on it! I liked it though...

am I the only one that finds rita not that rough and relatively comfortable as well as fun! air is smooth, but restraints are really uncomfortable as all your body weight is on them. RMT is very rattly although not that fast so okay I guess. 13 is lovely and smooth. Nemesis is unbelievable for 20 years old how well it glides along the track. and then you get the smiler not even 2 years old and is horrible for me, hurts the fronts of my shoulders, and crushes the tops of my legs, plus the ride is pretty rough as well, especially some vile jolts!

Stop worrying about people who moan about Rita, wait for the front and you will be fine (towards the back it can be rough), The Smiler certainly is rough because it throws you around 14 inversions...that's inevitable. 

But in reality none of them are what I would actually class as 'rough'. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rita is a waste of time, queue as little time as you possibly can and definitely don't waste your time for the front. Rita is just terrible, I understand you want to ride it as you haven't before but once is really all you need.

I'd like to see you make a fully working launched rollercoaster that is as successful (or not) as rita. To trash talk like that is okay as its your opinion but you also plow through any others points.

Again, I've ridden Rita 3 times and never found it rough, and every time enjoyable. I sat in the front row, and the third and fourth row. I tend not to do launch rides at the back after watching a friends video of him dislocating his arms on stealth. The only rough ride I have found at alton is the smiler, but much like cornflakes has said the experience varies person to person.