Logger's Leap

Garyy

Not quite!  Timber Falls, Raging River, Wild Water, Canyon River and Rugrats' Lost River all operate in the UK, and there's probably a lot more than that.

I understand it's more than just general maintenance, but should rides really get to the state where they are unfit to operate?

If the ride is up for removal then they should just say so rather than letting people think it will reopen.

I genuinely struggle to understand why you are on this forum.

We do not know what issues, if any, have occurred on Loggers which led to this decision. And as has already been stated, why would they be doing any work on a ride immediately when they have almost 17 months to do any work they do need to do.

I would much rather them concentrate on rides that will be open in less than 3 months, this could be the boost needed to ensure they have as many rides fully functioning at maximum capacity and concentrate on areas that have let them down over the last few years.

Just think, those two engineers who would be working on Loggers, could be working on all the effects park wide, maybe even ensure dodgems has more than 3 cars working. Maybe the elusive water tower in Amity Cove will be resurrected.

I just think doing closed season maintenance on a ride which is sheduled to be closed for a year and a half is just ludicrous.

@Coaster Jamie, The reason they're not saying much is that this year has really demonstrated that the parks have been under fire and it's been up to the marketing teams to side step negativity. That's where the TLC thing has come from at Towers, they're managing us and avoiding further negativity. Chessington are doing the same with their spruce up, whilst quietly removing all advertising of their new ride and I expect Thorpe are trying to find their place in all this too.

I completely agree with your point and there's enough rumour surrounding all the Merlin only flumes, that suggest this is the end of the road for the best log flume in the UK.

Perhaps something can change. The current petition going round Facebook (regards to Towers) is a good step, as is the press getting wind of Towers closing so many rides next year.. Maybe with enough pressure they can reverse these knee jerk reactions that Merlin have become so bad at.

I genuinely struggle to understand why you are on this forum.

Because I care about the UK's theme park industry.

We do not know what issues, if any, have occurred on Loggers which led to this decision. And as has already been stated, why would they be doing any work on a ride immediately when they have almost 17 months to do any work they do need to do.

I would much rather them concentrate on rides that will be open in less than 3 months, this could be the boost needed to ensure they have as many rides fully functioning at maximum capacity and concentrate on areas that have let them down over the last few years.

Just think, those two engineers who would be working on Loggers, could be working on all the effects park wide, maybe even ensure dodgems has more than 3 cars working. Maybe the elusive water tower in Amity Cove will be resurrected.

I just think doing closed season maintenance on a ride which is sheduled to be closed for a year and a half is just ludicrous.

My whole point was that Loggers probably doesn't need to be closed for a whole year, if they had the money/resources/whatever they need they could probably get it open at least in time for the summer of 2016.

If reliability, capacity and effects improve in 2016 then I will understand the reason behind having one ride closed to focus efforts elsewhere, but unfortunately the underlying problems at Thorpe have been there for years, which doesn't leave me which much hope of operations improving - but hopefully I'm wrong!

My whole point was that Loggers probably doesn't need to be closed for a whole year, if they had the money/resources/whatever they need they could probably get it open at least in time for the summer of 2016.

If reliability, capacity and effects improve in 2016 then I will understand the reason behind having one ride closed to focus efforts elsewhere, but unfortunately the underlying problems at Thorpe have been there for years, which doesn't leave me which much hope of operations improving - but hopefully I'm wrong!

As we know, Merlin aren't in normal circumstances right now. How do you know Loggers 'probably' doesn't need to be closed for a whole year? Regardless, they have no intention of opening it in 2016 so what would be the point in doing the maintenance (whatever this maintenance is) right this moment?

Priorities need to be considered really unfortunately... Why work on something that isn't on the list of opening next year?

Of course, it is the park's fault things have been left to rot as they have... Shows what happens when only investing on things that are only meant to bring in guests...

Priorities need to be considered really unfortunately... Why work on something that isn't on the list of opening next year?

Of course, it is the park's fault things have been left to rot as they have... Shows what happens when only investing on things that are only meant to bring in guests...

I think it's probably wrong to assume loggers is closed due to how it's been treated, if there was any issues with the ride it's self it would of closed last year and not ran till the end of the season.

They're not going to wait until the end of season to close down a ride which can't properly / safely run for the sake of it.  

Like they did with Black Hole, right up until the legislation changed, knowing all wasn't what it needed to be to comply with the new safety regulations?

My whole point was that Loggers probably doesn't need to be closed for a whole year

probably

And everyone else's whole point is you don't know what it does and doesn't need to be closed for (as you point out here), so your relentless criticism about this is meaningless. 

• 4 weeks later...

Reply to a post on FB asking how the loggers refurbishment is going:

Hi Dan, we will not be able to provide ongoing updates on the status of Logger's Leap, however we can confirm that the ride will remain out of action for the 2016 and we hope for it to make a splash back in 2017 =]

Sounds like they really still don't know at this stage whether it will be back or not what with the word "hope".

Reply to a post on FB asking how the loggers refurbishment is going:

Hi Dan, we will not be able to provide ongoing updates on the status of Logger's Leap, however we can confirm that the ride will remain out of action for the 2016 and we hope for it to make a splash back in 2017 =]

Sounds like they really still don't know at this stage whether it will be back or not what with the word "hope".

The question here is though: Are the social media team "in the loop" or are they just out to keep everyone as happy as possible.

See, I would have a lot more respect for Thorpe if they were honest about things, but if this is true and the ride isn't being refurbished then they out-and-out lied to me and several others on their social media pages.

I really hope they're not mothballing Loggers in favour of Containment's operating costs!  :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time anywhere on social media that they've said it will be opening in 2017?  All other replies have said 'Loggers Leap is closed for maintenance in 2016', but never explicitly mentioned a reopening in 2017.

Possibly just a mistake, but something to keep in mind in my opinion...

The way they worded some of their earlier responses suggested that the ride would open for 2017, but they never actually confirmed it.

I just think it's wrong to claim the ride is being "refurbished" if that is not actually happening - and I'm not sure how they are going to explain to people why the ride looks no different, if it doesn't, throughout 2016.

The way they worded some of their earlier responses suggested that the ride would open for 2017, but they never actually confirmed it.

I just think it's wrong to claim the ride is being "refurbished" if that is not actually happening - and I'm not sure how they are going to explain to people why the ride looks no different, if it doesn't, throughout 2016.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to convince the general public.  By simply saying something along the lines of 'The work we are currently doing to Loggers Leap is behind the scenes, so you won't see any changes yet', many people will accept that and move on.  

It is mainly the enthusiasts who will want to know more / not fully believe.  The majority of guests will take that simple excuse any carry on.

• 4 weeks later...

Will Loggers Leap be open in the 2016 season?

Opened in 1989, Loggers Leap has been a firm favorite amongst families and young adults. As a result of many years of operation, Loggers Leap is out of action for 2016 while it’s being renovated. This was a difficult decision to make, however we hope for it to make a splash-back in 2017 to the Resort.

https://www.thorpepark.com/faqs/

Nothing new really, but this does confirm that the park are (hoping to be) reopening Loggers in 2017.