Shrek's Adventure London

lewumbrajumbos

We went on Friday and lets just say our show had Us and 2 other people so they ended up grouping us with the next two shows which meant over an half an hour wait for the bus ..... Shame really not worth the entry fee unless your going with children... Which as a children's franchise is understandable. But yes the bus is good.... It doesn't feature Shrek any where near enough and sleeping beauty is funny ...

• 3 weeks later...

Brief review. Wow, incredible amount of effort seemingly put into it and generally a really cleverly thought out attraction, loved it! Only downside was the bus simulator which I've heard really good things about, the bus was stationary and didn't even move, and the screen didn't appear 4d very well with the glasses on.

• 2 weeks later...

Wooow this is the best attraction out of the Merlin Midway additions in London. Abit of a free 4 all to queue but once you get into the whole show the immersion experience is fantastic. The bus ride wow really good consistent animation, I like the bit before the bus how they've used a lot of the old tractor theming from Alton Towers. The projection mapping was fantastic I found this stuff at disney universal standard a lot of theming uses County Hall well. Please Merlin do not let the effects break you've got a great attraction.

I completely agree about Shrek...

Now that I go to theme parks and stuff too much, I notice the most annoying little details or effects not working (wish I didn't, but I'm past the point of no return aha)... And honestly from the moment I went inside the building to the moment I stepped out I was in shock at how amazing and flawless it was, and how it fit so well into the County Hall! I do pray for merlin and their reputation for effects not working after a while. Unfortunately I was left a tiny bit disappointed as the bus ride didn't work properly for me and stayed stationary through the whole short film, but was minor flaw in the grand scale of the whole experience. I definitely do hope to visit again sometime this year though and get to experience the bus ride properly!

I have to say I went on opening day (I was in the process of doing a review, but work really got in the way) and from what I saw then, I was blown away. Some of the acting was a little annoying and seemed a little rushed, but being the first day, I can understand it. Ill be going again this friday (my birthday) just because it was so good. I do have to say though, when I went on opening day, they almost force you into buying the photo album, the way you exit. I didnt have the money at the time to get one, which did annoy the staff member a little, but when I go friday I will be getting the album.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Shrek today with my other half and 6 year old nephew. First thing that I noticed were all the staff were dressed in flight attendants uniforms and I couldn't really work out why. Then if became apparent when we entered the departure area! The bus ride was done incredibly well and was a great way to start. The theming throughout was immaculate and the actors were all fantastic and really on form. The story itself was coherent throughout and you got to meet many of the characters from the shrek series...not all though! The use of smell cannons, textures on the floor and lighting were all used to great effect. The only problem we encountered was that we seemed to be in the mirror maze for ages with no apparent exit (although this may have been done on purpose).

The only thing I didn't like was the whole "buy this photo album for £35". It contained maybe 4 or 5 blue screen photos and not a lot else. Merlin have employed a new trick here where they actually hand you the album and you take it to the cashier and decide whether or not to but it!

In summary, it's a great attraction that's really enjoyable. It's like the dungeons for small children. Loved it and can say it's well worth a visit. Not sure I'd pay the £28 for an hours attraction. Having said that, I wouldn't pay for the dungeons or Tussauds either!

Seems strange with so many good reviews on here that it's doing so badly. There's a lot of stress and budget cuts behind the scenes due to it not doing what they hoped.

The bus ride has also been tamed down with it's movements, as they're trying to prevent any further damage to the London Eye 4D show below it, as it's already caused a lot of damage and cracks to the ceiling. It was the reason it had a delayed opening.

It could be because they built it about 5 years after they should have done When Shreck would have marketed itself. This sort of thing is surely driven by child pressure, and a generation of kids watching frozen and probably not having much more than a passing awareness of Shreck even existing will not be pushing that pressure onto parents with their big bulging wallets.

And LOL at not having forseen a big heavy thing moving in an old building would be a bad idea.

I think the reason it's doing badly is because no one knows about it. I have seen no advertisement at all. When I've asked people about they didn't know of its existence. The London dungeons doesn't need anywhere near as much advertisement as shrek because everyone knows about it.

I think this simpley comes down to people not knowing it's there.

There is other factors like a dead IP and other stuff already mentioned but I think the main one is people not knowing it's existence.

I've seen a fair few adverts in London for it, so I don't think that is the reason.

Firstly, it hasn't been the best August (weather-wise) so I suspect that would have had an effect on the foot-fall at the South Bank.

In fact, I went to the South Bank with my family on Bank Holiday Monday (31 August) and it was pouring with rain all day.  We walked straight on the London Eye, straight in the Sea Life Centre and there were no queues for Shrek or Dungeons at all.  The whole area was very quiet despite being August Bank Holiday as the weather was ghastly.

Secondly, you have to remember that people have to book timeslots so that won't work for everyone, especially those who are passing by to find the next available slot is in an hour or two.   I know Shrek is not the same type of experience as Sealife, or the Eye, but those attractions will pick up a lot of people who decide to go in on a whim.   There were a few people in the Sealife Centre on the Bank Holiday that had paid to enter because it was out of the rain!

So having allocated slots will also have a knock-on for the passing trade (of which on a normal summer day on the South Bank, there is a lot of) as people simply won't want to come back later.

I haven't experienced it yet.  When we asked on Monday 31 August (knowing it wasn't available to MAP holders) we were refused entry, so I will try to get along in the next few weeks.

I agree with LC, no one knows about it. None of my family know about it for example, and I wouldn't know about it if I wasn't on here.

Yes there may be plenty of advertising in London, but it's the sort of attraction people will want to book before they go to London. Like said, if people decide on the day they want to do it, they have to book a timeslot which may be inconvenient for people and therefore decide to do something else instead.