2017 Season General Discussion

Marc

2 hours ago, BaronC. said:

For those interested, the rotational operation on the Old Town rides has been scrapped.  Currently Rocky Express opens at park opening, Timber Tug at 11 and Lumber Jump at 12.

The area is reasonably lively, with all rides having smallish queues - the demand is there!

Small Queues and staggered openings is lack of demand, no? 

On 27/07/2017 at 10:25 AM, MattyMoo said:

What's up with our bae, planenut? Essential maintenance?

Sorry for the delay in replying, was at TP until 6.30p.m..

Sure enough, and I knew from the website, Stealth was "not available" today. It was to be checking and possible replacement of the cable but there was a power cut across most of the park, and that put them back at least two hours. Ten test launches were required and on the ninth, there was a hiccup, so that meant, all went back to "go". Last point of the day involved eight test launches then I left as it was not going to be running.

Whilst on SWARM today, just got the second break run and there was a power cut across most of the park. Luckily for us they released our train in about twelve minutes, alas, the train on the lift hill took over an hour and half to release.

Had a great visit to Saw recognizing several members of the team who looked after me, my neck will ache in the morning.

Good to meet and chat to member Josh today.

4 hours ago, StevenVig said:

Small Queues and staggered openings is lack of demand, no? 

If you look at these types of rides at many other parks, they rarely have any queue most days.  Look at the Merlin parks for a good example - you'll rarely see any of their Frog Hoppers or Rockin' Tugs with queues.  And the only reason Sea Storm and Knight's Quest get queues is because they'd be considered as 'bigger rides'.  Having small queues as opposed to no queue (and no one riding them!) shows that there is demand for them, and the right level of it too.

2 hours ago, planenut said:

Good to meet and chat to member Josh today.

Same with you!

Hi all, I'm visiting for the first time ever from the USA on Tuesday, a couple quick questions:

1. If I want re-rides on anything, it's sounding like I will need fast track because this season is very busy. My plan is to start at rope drop with Stealth if it's running, then Saw/Colossus/Swarm, then Darren Brown. Good strategy? Hoping to do each coaster and Samurai too, anything else I guess is a bonus.

2. Are any of the water rides notable for particular good theming? Do people also queue up before those open since they are staggered?

On every single one of my visits for the last two years Swarm ends up less than 15 mins after about 4pm and 5 mins by around half hour before closing.

Everyone goes to this at park opening and it generates a large queue earlier on. Many then don't bother going back to that area as its a dead end.

1 hour ago, Blah Blahson 23 said:

Hi all, I'm visiting for the first time ever from the USA on Tuesday, a couple quick questions:

1. If I want re-rides on anything, it's sounding like I will need fast track because this season is very busy. My plan is to start at rope drop with Stealth if it's running, then Saw/Colossus/Swarm, then Darren Brown. Good strategy? Hoping to do each coaster and Samurai too, anything else I guess is a bonus.

2. Are any of the water rides notable for particular good theming? Do people also queue up before those open since they are staggered?

Welcome to the Club and thanks for trusting the members to offer guidance. As with any park, everybody will have their own way of answering your questions.

From me, and perhaps it would help if you let people know if you'll be on your own, or with others, I would also suggest you deal with the Park in an anti-clockwise direction, I.e. left and then round. Darren Brown always seems to open after 11a.m., so don't fret on that one. Nemesis Inferno is always a low queue at the start of the day. If Stealth is not running, watch it as generally there are three test runs before start, but it should be available. SWARM always has a dead period around 1.30p.m., it seems that people are conditioned to take their lunch, at lunchtime. Don't miss Flying Fish as it's a nice little coaster with a surprise. Tidal Wave is brilliant, but if you were to do that, I'd suggest that either you have a change of clothes, or hope that the sun will dry you, it does leave one a little damp. Colossus queue can be viewed from on the bridge to assist you to make your mind up, and mind your ears if you ride it.

Enjoy your trip and time in England. The weather is set to be more pleasant than the forecast for this weekend.

2 hours ago, Blah Blahson 23 said:

I suggest getting there very early, they let people in a lot earlier than advertised and you can get Colossus, Saw, Nemesis Inferno and even Stealth done before 11am

6 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Unless I'm missing something, what happened to the "world's first attraction" that was due to open for summer?

image.png.adcfae169451579a44d1b65156f7355c.png

Also, what is "The Transformers Tour" and has it materialised?

Either the plans fell through or Thorpe will throw something together last second, true Merlin style.

They have said they're 'dropping...a world first' this summer, which doesn't necessarily mean they're opening one.  It could just be an announcement of a world's first attraction.  People need to remember that social media posts, especially ones like this which clearly aren't meant to receive much attention, will be very vague in what they actually say / mean, and shouldn't be read into that much.  This is especially true when 99% of the park's audience don't know about this apparent world first. 

The Transformers Tour is weird; it seems to be going round the country and just gives people the chance to 'see' one of the things from the films (I believe it was / is at Paulton's?).  It's a minor thing but surely both parties should know when it's happening, so it'd be better for everyone to reveal the dates sooner rather than later.

There were extremely high wind speeds round Thorpe for a short period of time, causing the majority of rides to shutdown.  The only rides unaffected were X, Ghost Train and I'm a Celeb, however Ghost Train had an issue at the same time.  An unavoidable issue unfortunately.

This is also a prime example of why queue times shouldn't be available outside the park.  Overkeen enthusiasts follow them too much and judge them despite not knowing any context (seen plenty of 'enthusiasts' slamming the park on FB).

12 minutes ago, Max9874 said:

How busy has the park been lately? I'm planning on convincing my parents to let me go at some point this summer.

Not too bad as far as I know- usually the first few weeks of the school holidays the the quieter times before getting bustier towards the end!

2 hours ago, Max9874 said:

How busy has the park been lately? I'm planning on convincing my parents to let me go at some point this summer.

It's holiday season, so the gate is up, and visitors on Tuesday were saying it was busy. Queques vary during the day. If you don't have too far to travel and you have a pass, it would be worth going.

On 03/08/2017 at 8:56 PM, planenut said:

It's holiday season, so the gate is up, and visitors on Tuesday were saying it was busy. Queques vary during the day. If you don't have too far to travel and you have a pass, it would be worth going.

Ah, as I live close, I only have the TP pass which is a stupid cheap price er, is available. Merlin pass can be a little dear for most people. It all depends on how many times you can visit. Good luck.

Noticed a few changes with queue boards recently - firstly on Saw the ride - it seems there's a new system in place with cameras monitoring people entering the queue lines - when we entered the queue it was advertised at 36 minutes - out of curiosity we timed it, we was on the ride in exactly 36 minutes - impressive!

Secondly there seems to be different messages they can display now - for example Zodaic went down for sick and instead of just stating "unavailable" it was showing as "Short Delay". Also during bad weather last week they boards were displaying "Weather delay" on affected rides. This all shows on the queue line TVs too for the individual rides.

The Transformers Tour is happening 15th-23rd August.  Info from Facebook...

Brace yourselves – the Transformers Tour is landing on the Island 15th – 23rd August 2017!

⚡ Explore the Cybertron Chronicles
⚡ Try out the brand new range of Transformers toys
⚡ Grab a selfie with the awesome Optimus Prime truck!

There’s more to them than meets the eye!

https://www.thorpepark.com/tickets-passes/tickets 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic