Ride Accidents

pluk

Gerstlauer confident it is not the restraint itself at fault.

Tobias Lindnar, a project manager for Gerstlauer Amusement Rides, told The Dallas Morning News that the company would investigate what led to Friday's fatal accident at theSix Flags Over Texas park inArlington.

Witnesses said the woman expressed concern about the Texas Giant rollercoaster's safety bar not completely engaging as the ride was starting.

But Mr Lindnar, speaking from Germany, told the paper: "I'm sure there's no safety bar that is broken."

He said Gerstlauer never had problems with car safety bars on any of the 50 rollercoasters it has built around the world over the past 30 years. "We will be on site, and we will see what has happened," he said.

as spotted by BigAl on TS, girl loses foot on rapids ride...

http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/3534214/meisje-voet-kwijt-ongeval-walibi.html

Doesn't say how though, first thought was she must have fallen in the water and got hit / crushed like our Thunder River ear incident many years ago, but maybe the most likely way to crush a foot on rapids would be on the loading conveyor? Some talk of the boat hinging moving enough to crush but I don't recall them moving enough to do that, probably wasn't paying that much attention though so maybe that is possible.

Rider falls from Zipper at American fair. Although it seems this is more of a loading mishap rather than an at speed failure of any sort. I've always wanted to ride a zipper, not something I have ever come across for some reason.

(The report also has a map of safety regulations in each state which shows that amazingly Wyoming has NO amusement parks. Poor Wyoming :( )

At least thats travelling fair country!! All of these accidents just go to show that no type of ride can be risk free :/ At least when you consider the number of rides in the world the probability is definitely in our favor. With regards to six flags I guess the weight restrictions can be pretty hard to enforce and also pretty embarassing!!!

"Small nudge"...

Wheel derailed...

Not too sure on that one, but if the driver didn't notice the uncoupling (which being at least a carriage away makes some sense) then it's quite likely that he would stop normally... Besides, even if he instantly e-stopped momentum would cause a crash...

Physics is a heartless cow at times...

Besides, even if he instantly e-stopped momentum would cause a crash...

Obvs. I'd have though it would be in the basic 'la façon de conduire le train' manual that if you lose cartridges you don't stop the engine and just let natural slowing happen? Although with four minor injuries I guess it was going pretty slow at the time anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The HSE have fined Skegness Pleasure Beach £8000 for failing to maintain a ride which failed in 2011. Details from the Daily Fail, which includes a couple of pics I don't recall seeing at the time.

article-2400218-1B6A1FDC000005DC-14_634x

Looks like if it went at just a slightly different angel it could have been really catastrophic.

Elsewhere, a bad enough accident that could have been a whole lot worse. A loose rope on a fast carousel manages to wrap itself round the neck of a rider and nearly hang him. Upkeep of the theming and surroundings is just as important as the rides themselves!

Also, I don't care if they are dangerous, I want one of these!

I actually had an accident on one of these Bobsled 'coasters' whilst I was in Switzerland. I've never hesitated to use the break when I went as a lone wolf, decided to go on with my cousin and again, we decided not to use the break, I ended up falling off the cart but managing to keep my cousin on and managed to halt the death trap with my right leg as it was scraping against the hot metal and give myself a lovely friction burn and ripped off skin. As well as on my right arm. My own stupidity really.

Likewise, the other weekend at Oakwood on their bobsleigh run. Tried being clever no brakes, but as I'd not rode it this year that was daft, came off in turn four managed to get back on whilst still going but got the friction burns to prove it, doh!

(not my video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqEcxlmHdk

Be careful next time haha, I don't want you hurting yourself more :P

• 3 weeks later...

18 injured by swing ride, looks like one of those crappy little versions of chair-o-planes that I seem to remember having quite a lot of problems in the past. Sounds like it just ground to a halt far to quickly.

On the same day 6 flags announce the reopening of the Texas Giant the family of the deceased file a lawsuit. I can't find the link to the actual press release I read the other day from 6 flags, but it is quite strongly worded defending themselves. Something along the lines of there was nothing wrong with the ride, the way I read it they were implying there was something wrong with the rider!

I dont think it is Mondial as the restraints are different to normal Mondial restraints and the main star shape rotating gondola looks alot smaller then Samurai's and the connection to that bit looks different so I think its safe to say its a chinese Knock-off (like the many Chinese knockoff Vekoma's)

34593208.jpg

Pluss the black and yellow bars that connect the pods to the middle are much lnger so yeah its a Knockoff of somekind.

A park-goer sitting with Wang Hang said that the ride's staff failed to check their safety harnesses before the ride started. When the people she was sitting with tried to get the staff's attention about the situation, the ride already started. "Before we could question the staff, the ride started to go. Then the most horrible thing happened. We shouted 'help,' but they didn't hear us down on the ground," said the tourist, who was not identified by name in the report.

It wasn't a technical fault, it was that the person didn't lock there bars before starting by the looks of it.

There has also been a release from the 'authorities' stating it was a mechanical failure ( I'm on my phone at the mo so can't link). So I don't think it's that clear cut. If it operates in the same way as other top scans the ride will not start with restraints up, and they are locked by an operator at the end of the row behind the riders so from their point of view it might seem like they were not checked after something like this has happened. Also, the restraints operate in rows, surely all 5 restraints or none would be locked, not 3 out of 5? Difficult one, and from previous incidents from that part of the world I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...