X

Garyy

Doesn't necessarily mean that they know what they'll endure / what to expect. Even knowing it was a backwards in the dark coaster, I didn't know what I'd endure during my first ride.

That, and I'd personally say a large proportion of people don't even know it's backwards in the dark. It's hardly screamed out these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime I take a friend who has not been to Thorpe Park before (yes, people like that do exist), I always try and distract them at any point in which they could realise it is a backwards ride. Top tips are:

• Hold a conversation with them at all times when passing safety boards, ensuring you stand on the side of them making them look away.
  • Do your best to distract them from seeing the train enter the station backwards; I have pulled a beanie over my friends eyes just before it arrived and it worked like a charm.
But on a more serious note, most people I know, now know what to expect when going on X. To the point where they call it X:WTF, and only ever ride it as a time killer/"we may as well if we have done everything else" ride.

• 1 month later...

Well guys with the 2013 season coming up and X is being hinted by thorpe to be rethemed I thought I would discuss what I would like to happen to it:

Firstly the name needs to be changed, the fact that it is called 'X no way out' does not make any sense as there is a way out, originally going into this attraction I thought it was a maze which would be really hard to find my way out of!

A good retheme would be nice but seeing as thorpe like pop music I guess we will be seeing it sponsored by ministry of sound, this means Nicki Minaj in a high pitched voice :(

The trains to be turned forwards, that was partly why so many people disliked the ride and it also means we can get the height restriction down which means smaller people can get on another ride!

The queueing system sorted, it is such a big pyramid for such a small coaster and even though the queue line is massive they make you wait in some sort of garden area which is stupid! Sort it out thorpe let us queue inside!

Overall, as long as it has a good theme I'm fine with it, I just don't like the fact that it doesn't have a proper theme and you don't even understand what the ride is about inside that pyramid!

The trains to be turned forwards, that was partly why so many people disliked the ride and it also means we can get the height restriction down which means smaller people can get on another ride!

The queueing system sorted, it is such a big pyramid for such a small coaster and even though the queue line is massive they make you wait in some sort of garden area which is stupid! Sort it out thorpe let us queue inside!

Overall, as long as it has a good theme I'm fine with it, I just don't like the fact that it doesn't have a proper theme and you don't even understand what the ride is about inside that pyramid!

It isn't about anything. At least not anymore. The ride experience itself is not good enough to work with any sort of new theme; unless they spend loads of money totally regenerating the whole infrastructure and surrounding area, which would be a waste.

They don't allow you to queue inside the building anymore for health and safety reasons. I agree that the exterior queueline is awful. It's hardly a "garden"! It's full of broken posts and rotten wood chips, and all you can see is the bare metal pyramid next to you and Storm Surge. Rubbish. The interior corridors are boring to walk through as well, but that's another story.

To lower the height limit, they would have to replace the seats. It is the loose restraints that caused the limit to go up to 1.4m in the first place. New individual lap bars, such as those on Flying Fish or Thirteen, is a very good idea because it would allow younger guests to ride (who would perhaps enjoy it more?) and give some extra longevity to the ride. If this was to happen, then I don't see the point of turning the trains around. Personally I like the sensation of going backwards, and it is only the awkward lap bars and head rests that makes it uncomfortable. X No Way Out would just be so bland and 'normal' otherwise. But I wouldn't protest if they did face the trains forward.

I think the furthest they will go with X No Way Out in 2013 is a general infrastructure refurbishment - cleaning/repainting the corridors, refurbished outdoor queue, new speaker systems in the queue and on the ride (loud subwoofers in the main ride area), and some lighting/sensory effects on the breakruns. Get rid of the 'horror'/'evil computer' themes that were attempted at various points since it opened. Just make it really stupid and fun, that's all it has left going for it!

I would like it if it was still to run backwards with a good retheme... just really hope the brake sections where it decides to drop you back the way you cam slightly and then back forwards again etc. doesn't happen and just stops you or slowly takes you up the hill bit. As I have a really bad fear of this ride thinking the brakes or whatever it is, is going to fail and drop you back into the track the way you came!

just really hope the brake sections where it decides to drop you back the way you cam slightly and then back forwards again etc. doesn't happen and just stops you or slowly takes you up the hill bit.

I got told by one of the Engineers it's a mechanical problem due to the ride's age that it's so violent, and that it takes you further forward than you are supposed to.