JoshC.

Fright Nights 2020?

You mean it's almost July and we don't have a Fright Nights thread? What's going on?! (what do you mean there's a pandemic??)

Following yesterday's updates about theme parks being allowed to reopen, the Thorpe Breaks website tweaked the Fright Nights information:

image.png

Originally, Fright Nights had been planned to start October 3rd, but that's now been pushed back by 2 weeks.

Obviously the very idea of scare attractions in the traditional sense this Halloween is still very much up for debate right now. There's plenty of smaller events which are debating about running at all. Many are thinking of drastic changes. I wouldn't read into any descriptions yet as these almost always end up as placeholders, but it will be interesting to see what the park have planned up their sleeve.

Interesting have already got tickets for 3rd & 10th October wonder when they’ll be in touch to advise they’ve cancelled those dates. 

Just had a look and you can still buy tickets as well.

0CC969CD-7C9A-4CEA-A7A4-56FBE1A4ACDA.thumb.png.320b2015a5dd629aa8a1d23bb89665af.png

The Thorpe Breaks website is updated separately usually- and in the past has usually updated some details before the main website. Presumably the main site will update over the coming days with some form of contact done shortly after.

I'd guess it's treated as a lower priority for them to sort out at this point though. 

The question is, how on earth will they observe social distancing? Unless they literally batch you and your group only and leave large gaps between groups, but then the question also applies to actors. They can't be permitted to come close to you. 

I'm not holding my breath on this

Gives my the sense of actor interactions around the park, no mazes rather experiences and zones, with no area of limits, type of thing.

20 hours ago, StevenVig said:

The question is, how on earth will they observe social distancing? Unless they literally batch you and your group only and leave large gaps between groups, but then the question also applies to actors. They can't be permitted to come close to you. 

I'm not holding my breath on this

Certainly a lot of challenges. I honestly can't envision any sort of normal Fright Nights happening. Even if they create attractions where it's possible for social distancing to be observed, those sorts of attractions would be very different.

I still expect *something* to happen, because Fright Nights is always the most popular time of year for the park by far, and they'll want to cash in on it however they can. But what exactly depends on how creative the park choose to be.

It certainly is ambitious thinking to advertise the event basically as normal. As a former scare actor, these attractions are exceptionally difficult to run without a high risk of transmission (actors getting close to guests, actors with other actors).. The mazes as it stands are a breeding ground for common colds for actors, when you get close to 1,000's of people a night for nights on end, it is kinda a high risk. As JoshC said, we could see some modified mazes, though honestly that would take a lot of thinking outside the box, and also probably a lot of money and trial and error. They would have to completely change the way they build mazes. Would all that effort be worth it? Considering they would have cut capacity by a lot? I'm not so sure.

I guess by August/September we will know more about the future of scare attractions. But as of now, them coming back is somewhat of a dream.

On 6/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, Glitch said:

Gives my the sense of actor interactions around the park, no mazes rather experiences and zones, with no area of limits, type of thing.

Sorry double post! I know!

This a good idea, I think something akin to the street at Tulleys would be so good at Thorpe. Though I guess it does pose some challenges as roaming actors do tend to be more at risk from troublesome guests. I guess maybe thats why they have been doing them in large groups over the past few years (or, not at all?)

I do think having some dedicated outdoor scare zones would be a good idea, maybe add some comedy like Tulleys do and make the event just more about being fun.