Bubbleworks

26 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Welcome to our pain in 2005. Everything that was wonderful about Bubbleworks was ripped out, destroyed or given away ten years ago. It's probably why I am so less bothered about Gruffalo then others of a younger age because anything special about the ride went a long time ago.

But wasn't all that was ripped out in 2005 Prof. Burp and all that replaced it ducks? I agree that, at least from what I saw, Burps was a better ride with a distinct story - Burps was a fizzy drinks factory, Bubbleworks is a... soap-duck-bath-fountain factory thing? - but at least some of Prof. Burps was kept slightly the same. I can see Gruffalo being a lazy retheme where nothing will be kept with UV paint everywhere.

2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

But wasn't all that was ripped out in 2005 Prof. Burp and all that replaced it ducks? I agree that, at least from what I saw, Burps was a better ride with a distinct story - Burps was a fizzy drinks factory, Bubbleworks is a... soap-duck-bath-fountain factory thing? - but at least some of Prof. Burps was kept slightly the same. I can see Gruffalo being a lazy retheme where nothing will be kept with UV paint everywhere.

It was far more then just Burp removed from the ride. We're talking the corny jokes, the moving props, the personality, the humour, the enjoyment. All replaced by static figures and jokes that don't make sense. The cola coaster was a clever play on words, the duck and dive revitaliser means nothing to anyone. It's just one example in which the lack of imagination went into the new Bubbleworks. The things that remained were ruined. Take the fountain finale, what were they thinking?

My favourite review of the new Bubbleworks (back in 2006)

http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk/html/bubbleworks_main.htm

4 hours ago, Benin said:

That last line is literally what happened with the last 'refurb'...

I can't see any UV paint on Bubbleworks, unless you mean Tomb Blaster.

Bubbleworks current is at least a slightly similar theme to Burps (Its still a factory) and they kept some of it. True the humour is gone but Id prefer what we have now to some woman reading the gruffalo out while it's "acted out" in front of us.

8 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

...the more I think "Its going to be the Gruffalo isn't it", and Merlin won't care about our feedback...Merlin won't care about the feedback and some of the people there seem so out of touch they're sat there thinking "Everyone's going to love this" whereas really everyone's just a bit sad Bubbleworks has gone, because its still very popular with young children.

For example, when I told my younger cousins Bubbleworks was closing the reaction was "Oh no!" And when I said it's most likely going to be replaced by the Gruffalo they weren't happy. If, or when, Bubbleworks is replaced by the Gruffalo I honestly hope it blows up in Merlin's face, and all anyone ever says about the ride is "We want Bubbleworks back" "Bubbleworks was so much better" not because I think itll make them bring Bubbleworks back, but because hopefully itll make them realise what a stupid mistake they'll have made by replacing a ride which obviously isn't perfect but on its own (let's just imagine Prof. Burps never existed for one second) definetly isn't a bad dark ride, and which lots of people still enjoy.  

Even the fact that stuff like the elephants head is being sold but not the rest of it. You know what'll happen to it? It'll be painted Brown with some spikes on its back, no tail and a Gruffalo's head on it.

You say that Merlin won't care about our feedback (by "our", I assume you mean enthusiasts), yet surely wouldn't the universal hatred for nu Bubbleworks from the enthusiast community be one of the reasons the park have finally decided to put a clean slate over the attraction?  And if you mean "our" as in everyone, then of course they're going to care about the feedback.  Just because something is popular(ish), doesn't mean it can't be (dramatically) improved upon.  People are too sentimental about the theme park industry at times.

Bubbleworks isn't a bad ride, but that doesn't mean it's good either.  It panders to children's likes, of simple, bright colours, a catchy tune and running water.  Children love that stuff, so they'll enjoy Bubbleworks.  If it was anywhere near a good ride, it would offer something for everyone else, like a bit of humour or something.  Part of me thinks the only reason Bubbleworks is popular in this day and age is because young children like it, and so the rest of the family tolerate it for the sake of the younger members of their family..

I see nothing wrong with reusing some props.  If they've decided to incorporate something into a scene, and they can repurpose it to a high enough standard, let them reuse it!

12 hours ago, BaronC. said:

You say that Merlin won't care about our feedback (by "our", I assume you mean enthusiasts), yet surely wouldn't the universal hatred for nu Bubbleworks from the enthusiast community be one of the reasons the park have finally decided to put a clean slate over the attraction?  And if you mean "our" as in everyone, then of course they're going to care about the feedback.  Just because something is popular(ish), doesn't mean it can't be (dramatically) improved upon.  People are too sentimental about the theme park industry at times.

Bubbleworks isn't a bad ride, but that doesn't mean it's good either.  It panders to children's likes, of simple, bright colours, a catchy tune and running water.  Children love that stuff, so they'll enjoy Bubbleworks.  If it was anywhere near a good ride, it would offer something for everyone else, like a bit of humour or something.  Part of me thinks the only reason Bubbleworks is popular in this day and age is because young children like it, and so the rest of the family tolerate it for the sake of the younger members of their family..

I see nothing wrong with reusing some props.  If they've decided to incorporate something into a scene, and they can repurpose it to a high enough standard, let them reuse it!

Yeah I mean everyone, maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen a big company change things like this vs our feedback.

13 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Bubbleworks isn't a bad ride,

It really really is. Not even just in comparison to its old superior self, it manages it all by itself.

22 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

I honestly haven't seen one good reaction to the Gruffalo rumours.

To be fair, most 5 year olds who'll actually be interested in this aren't using internet forums.

13 hours ago, Ian-S said:

Well I hope they overhaul operations as well as the theme, bit strange to see a dozen boats go round empty in between dispatches, made what should have been a 20 minute queue crawl to 70.

Yeah, when I went on they only let disabled guests on with loads of empty boats inbetween, it was weird.

On 9/3/2016 at 3:49 PM, Kerfuffle said:

Just hoping IMAscore do at least the finale music if the fountains remain :wub:

Why would you want IMAscore music? They're all so similar. They can only do variations of the same piece effectively. They try way too hard to be epic and dramatic that it just gets annoying an in your face. 

And it would be rather insulting to have a piece as famous as the fountain finale track just replaced. 

5 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Why would you want IMAscore music? They're all so similar. They can only do variations of the same piece effectively. They try way too hard to be epic and dramatic that it just gets annoying an in your face. 

And it would be rather insulting to have a piece as famous as the fountain finale track just replaced. 

Smiler and ghost train ..... Similar ???? 

8 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Let's have a look at The Smiler's soundtrack, and then The Ghost Trains soundtrack. Clearly both of them have so much in common...

EDIT: Jonny beat me to it :P

Just now, HermanTheGerman said:

Yes... That's one of the best examples in fact. Just because the sonic's of the Smiler's track are a little unconventional you think its a vastly different track? 

Have a listen to both pieces and tell me what is remotely similar about the two tracks. From the sounds of things, there's nothing.

similar BPM, written structure, the same uses of sound effects in syncrhonisation with crescendos and diminuendos, when you read in to it from a musically technical point of view they are quite similar. However this is something that us nerds look into far too much. We're reading in to it a lot. I do agree, a lot of IMAscore soundtracks are very samey, you could take most of their pieces and put them back to back and they'd get away as 1 score, however their production is impeccable and occasionally they do produce very unique and good pieces of work. There is little deniability their work is fantastic atmospherically and it's audibly pleasing however I do agree that they have the habit of being extremely generic.

Have a listen to both pieces and tell me what is remotely similar about the two tracks. From the sounds of things, there's nothing.

To be fair to Herman, I can see the point being made. Both Ghost Train and The Smiler have ambient noises and effects before the main soundtrack kicks in which appear similar to each other, however once the main hook kicks in they are very different. Personally I love what IMA Score do so I would be happy.

Partaking in geekery since 1985

22 minutes ago, Mysterio Ka said:

similar BPM, written structure, the same uses of sound effects in syncrhonisation with crescendos and diminuendos, when you read in to it from a musically technical point of view they are quite similar. However this is something that us nerds to far too much. We're reading in to it a lot. I do agree, a lot of IMAscore soundtracks are very samey, you could take most of their pieces and put them back to back and they'd get away as 1 score.

Ah thank you. You wrote exactly what I couldn't be bothered to. Thank you.

IMAScore's stuff is very basic (as in the track tends to follow a simple set of chords), but it's also catchy and pretty damn memorable... Stuff like Krake and Smiler are like this...

Then you have stuff like Helix, Chiapas, Magic Valley at Toverland and Klugheim, which are a great combination of that same technique but those work immensely well in the context of the rides and areas themselves... They're probably slightly better in terms of producing a complete package of music for an entire area rather than a single track, as the difference between them is much more noticeable in those senses... It's like Disney soundtracks for certain rides in a way...

• Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic