Vampire

They might be able to get away with a loop? with enough speed, not much else tho

You'd need a hell of a lot of speed, way more than Vampire will ever muster up, in order to get a swinging coaster car through a loop without cars flopping either side. Imagine being on Zodiac but not having enough speed for the car to remain out, yeah that'd hurt like hell.

• 3 weeks later...

Vampire did greatly exceed my expectations tbh (although I think it needs inversions). So if it wasn't a family coaster and it had inversions, it could beat Inferno as my favourite coaster. But I like that it's forceful and you get a pretty decent amount of air time too, although the second time we rode it on Sunday I found it pretty turbulent after the second lift hill, but in hindsight it's most probably as I braced myself at the wrong places.

Its not possible to have inversions on suspended swinging coasters. If it were to go over a loop, it would flop to one side and it would hurt a lot. Inferno doesn't swing, that's why it can go through inversions without flopping over. The only way Vampire would be able to complete a loop, is that it went very very fast, but even so, the force would be too much for the riders at that speed so yh.

I suppose you could build a swinging coaster that 'locked' for inversions, but the the forces on the mechanism would be pretty harsh. I guess it could be achieved with a second track that picks up on an un-pivoted part of the car.

However, there is not the interest in suspended swinging coasters to make more extreme developments worthwhile. Which is a pity as Vampire is a fantastic ride - and by it's nature slightly different every time. I can't see Thorpe selling 'World's first hybrid free swinging suspended / inverted Coaster' to the non enthusiasts.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I was there on Sunday. Had such a poor visit (in many ways) that I couldn't face writing a trip report yet...

Anyway, it broke down at least once that day, we had just got into the station and everything ground to a halt. 15mins later with no progress and they started to give everyone in the queue priority passes. Only for it to start working about 10mins later.

Maybe related?

When it was working, operations on Vampire were terrible again. Seem to be bad everytime I visit. I really would like to go on a day when they are supposedly cranking trains out.

They were getting cars on Fury out at a great pace all day. Car left the lift hill and then the next hit the chain within 10secs.

I've found the station quite tolerable this year compared to last. Now that you have the pre-recorded announcements, you don't get deafened as often by obnoxiously loud operators shouting down their microphone via the speaker at the front of the station.

By the way, I know some people have worked on Vampire before on here, so I pose a question:

Are there any speakers in the outdoor queueline or CCTV cameras monitoring the outside queue? Never noticed any.

They wouldn't have "lied" as such. Adventurer Services is a completely different department to Rides, they can't be expected to know where all the cameras are located in areas they don't actually work. The person you asked would have assumed the queue was monitored by CCTV because that's the norm with most rides. However queue jumping is something the park will act on if problems arise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping someone might be able to help... Originally rode vampire in its original form too many years ago... Recently rode it again and trying to work out what has changed track wise. As I am sure the start of the ride used to better and can't remember ever going into the Transalvanya street/shopping area in the past. Having said that it might just be my memory as it was a long time ago. Definitely seems very tame to me now compared to the first time I went on it. Can you help me refresh my memory?

In terms of the ride layout, nothing has changed at all. When the new trains were added the main changes were down to clearance as the new trains are a lot bigger size wise then the old trains. Nostaglia and the rose tinted glasses may be wy you didn't think the ride was as intense as before.

Hoping someone might be able to help... Originally rode vampire in its original form too many years ago... Recently rode it again and trying to work out what has changed track wise. As I am sure the start of the ride used to better and can't remember ever going into the Transalvanya street/shopping area in the past. Having said that it might just be my memory as it was a long time ago. Definitely seems very tame to me now compared to the first time I went on it. Can you help me refresh my memory?

I believe that the old trains used to run faster so it could be that.