Rant

Theme Park bloke

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/uk-pay-rises-nurses-1-mps-11-bankers-35/

Outrageous. You can tell the police are not allowed to go on strike, no one else would stand for what has been done.

It annoys me that people who save lives (nurses, police etc) get paid the bare minimum, then footballers who bite people, kick people and are generally arrogant horrible people get thousands of pounds a week!

(This is the rant topic! ;) )

I've got a lot of deadlines at uni this week,

One of them is a learning diary I've had to do is due on Monday, which I had sorted out perfectly, until I found that something else had to be submitted too, my lecturer until recently has not gone in to full details about and involves marking of attending different music sessions being signed by my music tutor, who I won't be seeing for a while. What makes matters worse is, without this element, the other element of work will not be marked.

On top of the other deadlines this week I have coming, feeling rather stressed and despite sending an email of my concerns, I've had as much empathy from the lecturer as a brick wall.

You aren't going to get empathy from lecturers about having lots of deadlines to acheive, that is essentially the working life... Sometimes you'll have multiple projects on the go and it's down to you to plan your work accordingly to get it all done on time...

The extra element situation is of course, completely different...

It's pointless contacting a lecturer of a module. They're there to lecture you, set the assessment method and ensure you are taught everything you need to do the best you can. It you're stressed or struggling or whatever, and you're not in exceptional circumstances (ie - if you're not seriously ill / having personal issues / etc), then there's no obligation for them to be any more sympathetic than a brick wall to be honest. If they're not, it does mean they're a bit of a fail at being a human being, but still. it's not their problem.

Would be better off contacting your personal tutor / mentor / whatever personal support system your uni sets up. It's their duty to actually care about you, listen to your concerns, offer you advice and so forth. If they're not doing that, request a change (I did this at the beginning of my most recent term, and it was the best decision ever). It's too serious a thing to just leave.

Though, the lecturer in general sounds like a right idiot if he hasn't fully detailed how you're going to be assessed until the very end, and then makes it unnecessarily stressful and difficult for students.

I hate that I'm doing a charity skydive for cancer research UK and people have put down amounts on donation sheets and people have said they will donate and I have to keep chasing them for money, it's making my friendships and things really awkward as its getting closer to the date of my jump I just have to keep pestering people to pay in there donations, I now know how my sister felt doing race for life, she had similar problems, it's really weird aswell because it's the people who don't have money to spare who have been the most generous and then other people aren't interested in giving anything is what really annoys me to!

You tend to find that; those who are less well-off are more willing/more likely to donate money, probably because they appreciate it more than those financially better off. Or they may have more sympathy and understanding of those in need of help.

Good luck with it all though, and hopefully the others will get their money in soon! :) And good on you for doing something for charity.

Actually I find that it's even. To put a definition on which one I am, I am well off. It's how the parents raise you actually. I was raised to give to charity when I can and to be realistic in how much I can give, which majority of the time was a lot so not it's not about how much money and whether you appreciate it, it's how you've been raised Mer.

You tend to find that; those who are less well-off are more willing/more likely to donate money, probably because they appreciate it more than those financially better off. Or they may have more sympathy and understanding of those in need of help.

Good luck with it all though, and hopefully the others will get their money in soon! :) And good on you for doing something for charity.

If someone I know is doing something charitable then I will donate sommat...

It's to do with personality, not financial stability...

I do find that, in some cases, the more money people have, the scroogeier they can be, and the less they have, the more they give money away / spend.

When it comes to charity, it will no doubt come down to personality. However, I would say that one's personality is somewhat shaped by their financial situation, especially when they were younger.

Really? So by your theory I give less than others. No I give more than most I know who haven't had the upbringing I have.

This is the problem I had in Secondary, people thing using financial as a argument when it's not. It's possibly the stupidest theory I've heard.

Really? So by your theory I give less than others. No I give more than most I know who haven't had the upbringing I have.

This is the problem I had in Secondary, people thing using financial as a argument when it's not. It's possibly the stupidest theory I've heard.

In my post, you'll find that I said 'in some cases'.

I do find that, in some cases, the more money people have, the scroogeier they can be, and the less they have, the more they give money away / spend.

It's by no means a general thing, but from my own experience, I've found that when some people have more money, they spend less, and when they have less money, they spend more. Just a mere observation; sorry for stating it.

God dammit guys it's just people's opinions based on what they themselves have experienced. There is no accusation that ALL well off people refuse to give to charity. If you are from a well off family it can go either way - some people will give more because they have been raised that way, other people won't give anything for the same reason.

Your reaction seems as if you have taken these comments personally, Holly. I'm sure that is not how they were meant. Like I said, they have been based on people's own experiences, which will differ to yours.

I was talking more in a working context, those who are higher up in the chain haven't been interested in donating at all, I've mentioned it infront of them and there's posters and donations sheets but unlike the other apprentices or other co workers those higher up aren't interested in donating which seems in very poor taste to me especially when someone who earns 3 times less than them for example can donate £10 and they won't donate anything, well apart from 1 or 2, as had been said this is a generalization but there are exceptions.

Quelle surprise, my first post back on the forum is in here.

I am very very agitated at the fact I cannot get a job. I have applied for many, and I either get no reply, or when I do, its their HR asking if I am planning to go to university. I am upfront, as whats the point in lying- they'll realise when I leave. Then I get told they cannot employ me as I am going to university. Its starting to affect me mentally, as I am used to being independent and hate asking for financial support from parents, despite living with them. Sick of people claiming its easy to get a job. It isn't.

Rant over ^_^