Rant

Theme Park bloke

Lucky you didn't come out in a worse condition than when you went in (our local has a reputation for that).

If they say you need to be in constant pain, then be in constant pain, although you might want to wait until after the holiday since my niece went in with back ache, was in there 10 days and came out hooked on morphine.

3 hours ago, Amarghh said:

Great feeling when you've been to A&E after already going once in the past month with ongoing abdominal pain, (less than a month before 2 holidays) only to be told they can't do anything as you're not in constant pain and the doctor needs to diagnose you first...

:::::::)))))))))

Eek sounds painful!  I've landed myself in A&E on several occasions and one time walked out in tears due to an absolute cow of a nurse.  They could have done something to help you - are they saying you need to see your GP because sometimes it's almost impossible to get an appointment unless you fancy waiting a few weeks!  It shouldn't have to get to the point where you are in constant pain to get help.

ive had abdominal pains in the past and got referred for an abdominal ultrasound scan by my GP but surely these facilities are available at a hospital?!

My rant for today - queuing for Crumba Crapids with my niece and there was a small group of kids behind us who can't have been any older than 14.  One of the boys kept telling a girl to stop grabbing his man veg (he worded it much worse than that). Then he starts going on about how big said man veg is - something I could have really done without knowing.  Bit uncomfortable when I'm old enough to be their mother.  I'm no prude but I just cringe when kids come out with this sort of stuff but what made it worse is that they were not exactly talking quietly or being discreet and I had my 12 year old niece with me.

2 minutes ago, Han30 said:

Eek sounds painful!  I've landed myself in A&E on several occasions and one time walked out in tears due to an absolute cow of a nurse.  They could have done something to help you - are they saying you need to see your GP because sometimes it's almost impossible to get an appointment unless you fancy waiting a few weeks!  It shouldn't have to get to the point where you are in constant pain to get help.

ive had abdominal pains in the past and got referred for an abdominal ultrasound scan by my GP but surely these facilities are available at a hospital?!

They told me I need to see my GP as they can't facilitate me in A&E, even though I saw my GP 2 weeks ago and he didn't even know what was wrong with me and told me I needed to go to A&E if it got worse! The next proper appointment isn't until June and I go away before then, the guy just told me I need to be really stern to the doctors so I can get seen before I go and sort out my insurance?

I got referred for a ultrasound last year when I had the same pains and nothing came from it, had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment for that too! Apparently there's been lack of communication between the people I've been seeing in different departments which is why they couldn't do anything :( just worried about going away now :/

Sometimes you just have to be really insistent with them. My mum had salmonella food poisoning and went in for tests before they diagnosed it, was so ill she could hardly walk yet got told to go home and await her results in a week or so. She turned around to the person and practically yelled at him about how she felt like she was dying so no she wasn't going to "go home and await her results", and that she would sit and wait for as long as it took...

They got her both the results and a person to talk to her about treatment within a few hours.

I hate how you get batted around from one place to another within the NHS at times.  Has happened to me a lot but with mental health issues rather than physical ones.

I totally agree with Celia Mae - sometimes you have to be insistent with people especially where health is concerned - it's sad that it sometimes has to come to that but I would recommend you push for a GP apt - explain that you have been to A&E and what they said to you.  I do get that it can be difficult to be stern in situations like this - for me I am not great at asserting myself particularly with doctors receptionists unless I am calling about someone else and then I am like a dog with a bone!

You shouldn't have to worry about going away - it should be something to look forward to.  Being batted between your GP and A&E is not good enough and it is their job to give you proper diagnosis and treatment.

I know it is a bad idea but I wondered if you had googled your symptoms?  Not saying that you should self diagnose but sometimes it can put your mind at ease (or it can go the other way and give you health anxiety).  I looked into my symptoms but there is such a massive range of what it could have been - I feared the worse but it turned out to be IBS although I am due another ultrasound which I keep putting off.

Sorry I am typing out an essay here - but you had to wait 5 weeks for an ultrasound??!! That is ridiculous!!  Hope you get it sorted

Hola. ¡Buenos tardes!

Just thought I'd inform you that I've decided to return to TPM because the majority of the time, I love discussing theme parks with you guys.

(Thanks for your post Pluk. I have read it and sincerely thank you for your consideration.)

Anyway, rant...

Today, I got my test results back. Some girl comes up to me and says "ha ha, I got higher than you". It wasn't intended maliciously but it still wasn't very sensitive. People are so competitive about results these days and for some people all they care about is asking others what they got. 

Also, my science teacher put all the levels of his pupils on the board, so that we could see not just our levels, but everyone else's. Isn't that the first thing you learn as a teacher: don't publicise people's levels because someone is bound to feel embarrassed my theirs. Its just these little things are annoying me at school at the moment.

19 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

Today, I got my test results back. Some girl comes up to me and says "ha ha, I got higher than you". It wasn't intended maliciously but it still wasn't very sensitive. People are so competitive about results these days and for some people all they care about is asking others what they got. 

Also, my science teacher put all the levels of his pupils on the board, so that we could see not just our levels, but everyone else's. Isn't that the first thing you learn as a teacher: don't publicise people's levels because someone is bound to feel embarrassed my theirs. Its just these little things are annoying me at school at the moment.

I wouldn't take what other people say about results seriously.  As long as you pass is all that matters.  As part of my accountancy exams you need to get 50% to pass, I quickly learnt that aiming for 100% was a waste of time and effort as all that isn't needed to pass.

With regards to your teacher they might be thinking that it might motivate those with lower results to try a bit harder, however it might not work out that way.

When our GCSE results came out they were all just printed and stuck to the wall by subject, you had to go round to each of your subjucts and find your name on a list of everyone. 

Grades are there to grade you, that is to rank you against others. It's right they are known otherwise they are meaningless. Competition is healthy, and if you left school with out having experienced this sort of thing they wouldn't be preparing you for the real world.

You're going to spend your whole life being judged in one way or another, you may as well get used to it now on things like this that really (you will realise one day) do not matter, rather than those feelings being a surprise when you are an adult.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, cianjs said:

Good evening.

For the last 8 years I have been doing drama and in the last 3 I have taken it very seriously. I was told yesterday by my drama teacher that for my next drama qualification I must learn a monologue, a poem, an extract from a book, to write and learn a self written monologue and to prepare for the questions I'd get asked by the assessor. I agreed, knowing that I'd probably be able to learn everything within a month or two - only to be told I had a week!  My teacher's a great guy and all, but I don't think he comprehends the amount of pressure he's putting on me. I know he truly believes in me but I know for a fact it will take me at least a month to perfect it and I'll leave him so disappointed.

The only question is: to fake glandular fever or to not fake glandular fever?

record it and keep listening to it, job done........ish! enjoy it, as it's a chance to show them what you have got.

5 minutes ago, cianjs said:

Good evening.

For the last 8 years I have been doing drama and in the last 3 I have taken it very seriously. I was told yesterday by my drama teacher that for my next drama qualification I must learn a monologue, a poem, an extract from a book, to write and learn a self written monologue and to prepare for the questions I'd get asked by the assessor. I agreed, knowing that I'd probably be able to learn everything within a month or two - only to be told I had a week!  My teacher's a great guy and all, but I don't think he comprehends the amount of pressure he's putting on me. I know he truly believes in me but I know for a fact it will take me at least a month to perfect it and I'll leave him so disappointed.

The only question is: to fake glandular fever or to not fake glandular fever?

Learn as much as possible. Tell him it was simply too much, that you actually need to have a life outside of school and homework. And if he's anything like my drama teacher, he'll forget.

I want to peruse a career in film and tv (I want to work at pinewood) but I'm not sure if my choice of drama GCSE was correct. I think I should have taken resistant materials instead, it would probably be much more beneficial to me. 

I'm terrible at giving good advice, but I would say don't fake it. Yes, that is insane pressure to put on anyone. Yes, you should have been given at least 3-4 weeks to practice all those pieces. But for those who are taking drama seriously (like I do but not a high scale, just seriously when it comes to my drama classes in and out of school and now that I have to learn pieces for my Lamda exam) it is a very tough world out there.

My advice would be this: Try your best to perfect it as much as you can. Show your teacher what you are capable of in the strict time given to you, and if he's disappointed in your best efforts, then so be it.

As I said, I don't do well in advisory situations like this, but it's the best I've got. Good luck and enjoy it :)

10 hours ago, cianjs said:

Thanks for the advice everyone :) Whatever, assuming you are roughly the same age as me (just a guess) Pinewood offer some fantastic work experience opportunities!

One more piece of advice Cian, don't spend all your time chatting to me and Miles! ;)

10 hours ago, Whatever said:

Learn as much as possible. Tell him it was simply too much, that you actually need to have a life outside of school and homework. And if he's anything like my drama teacher, he'll forget.

I want to peruse a career in film and tv (I want to work at pinewood) but I'm not sure if my choice of drama GCSE was correct. I think I should have taken resistant materials instead, it would probably be much more beneficial to me. 

I'm the opposite to you. I want to go into architecture/engineering in an attempt to get into the theme park industry. Due to this, I picked resistant materials. The trouble is, I'm useles at the practical side of it and the design is the only reason I've picked it. I really don't want to regret my decision... 

On 20 May 2016 at 8:02 AM, CharlieN said:

I'm the opposite to you. I want to go into architecture/engineering in an attempt to get into the theme park industry. Due to this, I picked resistant materials. The trouble is, I'm useless at the practical side of it and the design is the only reason I've picked it. I really don't want to regret my decision... 

If you're doing DT GCSE make sure you stay as far ahead as possible with the coursework.

I'm doing DT Product Design (it's very similar to DT Resistant Materials) in which I've done the coursework but those last few weeks were so much stress. We changed teachers twice and because all the attention was on people behind, us people up to date with coursework couldn't actually move on. Because of this, our class were insanely far behind, we were starting to make our products when other classes were finishing them.

Luckily I did finish it, but it wasn't a pleasant few weeks, I was back till about 6:00 - 6:30 most nights.

Just stay ahead, if you feel like you need to move on just ask your teacher what you need to do next and also, if you feel like your dragging behind slightly then maybe do some work after school hours (you'll probably only need about 30 mins to 1 hour, it's good to get a good work ethic at a younger age rather than 2 weeks before deadlines). Don't get behind and make sure you start your product relatively early (you'll probably start that in year 11). Take it from this Charlie.

That's my advice, and my rant shall be that I'm in the middle of GCSEs which is fairly stressful.

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 8:02 AM, CharlieN said:

One more piece of advice Cian, don't spend all your time chatting to me and Miles! ;)

I'm the opposite to you. I want to go into architecture/engineering in an attempt to get into the theme park industry. Due to this, I picked resistant materials. The trouble is, I'm useles at the practical side of it and the design is the only reason I've picked it. I really don't want to regret my decision... 

I really want to be an architect but I'm really bad at most of the things you need

Last night I thought my mouth felt odd, like I had something stuck in my tooth so I shoved a finger in there and pulled out a sodding filling!  Ugh, not the first time it's happened - I once had one come out on a sweet I was chewing.  Absolutely hate the dentist - or rather, I hate having fillings despite having a fair few already.  Tooth extraction I quite enjoy - have had 5 teeth out including 2 wisdom teeth and found it quite therapeutic.

I was given a slightly faulty levitating train from The Ghost Train shop yesterday.

One of the corners popped out of place this morning and the base is now unstable. The train is slightly tilted and very wobbly. I have not dropped it nor has anything else happened to it.

It's not the end of the world! However, after spending £40 on a limited edition item, I don't appreciate it breaking within a day. I've emailed the Retail Department to ask what to do about it (refund, replacement, whatever they can do)

That's my little rant for the day. Think I'll go lock myself in a dark room and watch a few horrors :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I've just returned from college in a foul mood. I'll say why here because I REALLY need to get it out of my system:

Basically I've been studying IT for two years and I'm now approaching the end of my second and final year. But recently I've been having some doubts about what I've let myself in for and how this is relevant to the future I want...if it's going to get me there anyway.

First of all, let's start with my parents. I know I'm partly at fault here for somehow giving them the right to urge a decision I should be making myself...but my college does a course for Computer Aided Design - pretty much a one way ticket to my future ambition, which for the record is to be part of the creative team over at Merlin Magic Making. I know from a job opening I've seen that they're after people with experience in 3D, interior and exhibition design...which is just the sort of experience I would get in a CAD course...if my parents had actually thought wisely and let me take the course, rather than stand there flapping their wrists claiming "Oh no that course revolves around kitchen design! That has nothing to do with ride design!". Yes, they are partly correct here; kitchen design IS part of the course...but it also happens to be the SELLING POINT of it!!! And furthermore I don't care if it has nothing to do with ride design! All I care about is the experience I'd get from it. But no, no matter how much I persuade, they'll always believe in the "mother/father knows best" bullsh*t, and as a result, I've been sold into an awful course I lost interest in ages ago...and as of today, no matter how hard I try I am now travelling down the wrong path at a million miles an hour towards FAILURE. All because my last assignment in one of the units HAS to contain a practical task using a CPU simulation program - which by the way I have absolutely no clue on how to use, yet my tutors, having left me with some crappy handouts, are pretty much shrugging their shoulders saying "Well if you can't do it, that's your problem. Have fun!".

Great. Well isn't this a lovely alternative path?!! Instead of doing a course I could've enjoyed, at the same time as going in the right direction towards my career, I am now stuck with a stupidly complicated life consisting of college (assignments AND exams), driving theory prep and a job...at the same time as wondering what the bloody hell I'm going to do next year which will turn me back in the right direction. All because of ONE stupid decision which I am certainly going to regret for the rest of my miserable life!

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Ian-S said:

Or punch their lights out, I found that worked petty well too, find a quiet area where there are no witnesses or cctv and do the deed, then when they whine like a mamma, just say they touched you first and you were just defending yourself which is your right to do and stick to that story, it's your word against theirs and nobody can prove anything different.

You may get suspended for a day or two (probably both of you will), but that kid won't come near you again, worked fine for me, intact the kid was removed from the school and the family moved once the truth of what he'd done had come out, my breaking his nose was just the tip of the iceberg and the final straw.

Having said that I really don't like violence and will avoid it wherever I can, but sometimes people are ****s and deserve to be taken down a peg or two.

I know this post is quite old now but my school wouldn't suspend you. They'd put you in isolation which is where you do all lessons and basically spend the whole day in a portakabin with the kid you hit and loads of other chavs you don't belong with. I know from experience (you do get breaks but only 5 minute walks around just outside). Suspensions for first time offenders only come about if you run away from school, which is quite backwards.