Samurai

Phill

May was my first ride on it as you might recall from earlier in this topic. And it did on one occasion struggle to park, but I thought It'd be on manual mode? I presume it can't so it was on a crap cycle. But one thing that was noticeable was it wasn't weight balanced. One one arm you had a group of fairly big women, and then a group of much thinner people on another. I mention this because I recall when I went to first go on it, first thing in the morning (Nerves, plus morning I felt brave) they said we'd have to wait because it has to be weight balanced with at least twenty people / four arms filled as close to equally as possible before they can run it.But yeah, it did have parking issues. Still, not as bad as Bling at Pleasure Beach Blackpool. 9 times out of 10 it wont park. Just swing it back and forth for ages. I'm not talking like a minute here, I'm on about a minute. Stop for twenty seconds, another minute, stop for twenty seconds. Especially when it's as bad as Samurai. Instead of lifting it's got a drop floor, so the gap between the ground and you on Bling is huge in comparison :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I remember riding it at night not a week ago and my God it was like a different animal! I'd ridden in twice before and found both rides a little mediocre and they just gave me an enormous headache. Riding at night, with that music is highly recommended, even if the music is a bit naff and slightly cheap. Samurai, for once, felt very feral.

Because I'm super proud of myself for this, here is Samurai's FN11 music!Enjoy, so terrible it's unreal.

Going back to this a second, I sometimes feel Samurai would benefit from having limited music on it. Because of the nature of the ride very little music works with what action the ride is performing. Maybe going as far as just having the sound of the ride itself because its quite a noisy ride as it is. Particularly when the ride speeds up, it makes quite a beautiful motorised sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5P8fD56fw

I haven't ridden it since March so I forget what it plays, does it still have the piano loading music or is it now playing some ghastly rubbish?

It had the piano music during the day for my last visit at the beginning of October, but it frequently cut out and was interspersed with announcements and/or silence. At night though, it was playing Blade 's theme music, which is some way detracted a lot from the ride. As good a section of music it is, it's not at all what Thorpe or Samurai needs. Plus, there was a congregation of chavs just having a bit of a rave next to the queue, making the already very dull queue even worse (praise ta lawd that queue wasn't that long).

• 3 months later...

Samurai appears to be needing a lot of closed-season maintenance again.Drove round Thorpe down the M4 (or is it the M3) yesterday and it was parked concerningly, with the "claw" vertically into the air, and by the look of it a scissor-lift going up next to it. Such a shame. I do hope it makes opening this year, was such a shame it didn't in 2011 :(But yeah, I felt it was something obvious to mention. Samurai is having work done on it still. Deterred from the brick-paving argument in the SWARM topic. :D

Samurai appears to be needing a lot of closed-season maintenance again.Drove round Thorpe down the M4 (or is it the M3) yesterday and it was parked concerningly, with the "claw" vertically into the air, and by the look of it a scissor-lift going up next to it. Such a shame. I do hope it makes opening this year, was such a shame it didn't in 2011 :(But yeah, I felt it was something obvious to mention. Samurai is having work done on it still. Deterred from the brick-paving argument in the SWARM topic. :D

Samurai has been sat like that for a good three days. Considering Rush doesn't currently exist - I wouldn't worry yet - the park opens in forty days.

Funny when I happened to pass the park yesterday only the top of Rush was missing... :)

Funny that the top section of the ride was reconstructed only last week Ricky.The ride is missing all four sections to the swing, top swing and hood so I'd consider that as 'non existent'.Thanks for your ratification of the fact though Ricky.

• 2 weeks later...

Does sound very standard. Once again, people forget Samurai really isn't designed for this type of wrok; it's a fair ride, designed to work for a couple of weeks at most before a full strip down. What's more, the windmill position is the standard position to attach/remove the seating, take down/put up, pretty much the norm. Most fairground Top Scan's could probably be operational within 24 hours from the situation it sounds like at Thorpe.