Samurai

Phill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last I heard it was open. To avoid the disappointment if it is closed, Topbuzz 2, an ultimately better run, more thrilling and better looking top-scan is currently in \Epsom this weekend.

It was open all three days I was at Thorpe Park. I admit it's a slow spin, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. Had lots of head dives on it which I wasn't expecting Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about Samurai's ride cycles? Went last week and rode at lunchtime, it was the standard short and so much less forceful than before ride I'm used to now. Then rode again later, last ride of the day (they shut the queue line behind us) and WOW. It honestly felt like stealth when it started, acceleration wise, it all happened at once and was like a punch in the stomach as it threw us into the air. I was pushed out to the edge of my seat throughout with some insane spinning. It was so intense, I thought I was back at Chessington. And it went on for ages, probably 10/15 rotations in each direction. It really is an amazing ride when it is like this. So, can someone tell me: did the controller use a more intense setting (does one even exist), or was it because it weighed less at only about 30% full and therefore lighter (I can't believe it would have that much effect) it was able to be so awesome?

topscans have 6 programs and also has the ability to be run by the operator in manual (this however is not done in normal circumstances). As alluded to earlier the higher the program the longer the cycle. The program used at the end of the day and during exceptionally quiet times is number 6

I thought the 'extreme' end of the settings had been disabled as the old girl wasn't up to it any more? If it is still capable why don't they run it properly all the time - could still be a short ride, but with the forces I had the other day?

Samurai got completely overhauled a couple of years ago when it was sent back to mondial and is capable, the blame lies in whoever created the ride programs. Effectively the engineers / management do a cycle in full manual (controlling the ride raising, lowering, pod alignment as well as the boom and cross controls) and the ride then saves and replays that cycle

topscans have 6 programs and also has the ability to be run by the operator in manual (this however is not done in normal circumstances). As alluded to earlier the higher the program the longer the cycle. The program used at the end of the day and during exceptionally quiet times is number 6

Samurai got completely overhauled a couple of years ago when it was sent back to mondial and is capable, the blame lies in whoever created the ride programs. Effectively the engineers / management do a cycle in full manual (controlling the ride raising, lowering, pod alignment as well as the boom and cross controls) and the ride then saves and replays that cycle

Can you source this information?

Whilst there may be no direct source, it's pretty well known that Samurai got sent back to Mondial (I think it was during the 2008/2009 closed season?) to get a complete refurb.Although if I remember Holly this was around the time you took a break from the forums so you may not have been aware of it at the time. ;)

If you go on Samurai before closing it is amazing. That's when I had my best ride on it and the last time I went on it was 2010. I haven't been on it since because the loading times and queuing is ludicrous during busy times. Last time I went Thorpe I was with my parents and they didn't want to go on, I went up and said to the ride operator opening the seats. "I'm a single rider and there's a spare seat there, surely can I not just use that seat if it's vacant anyway? Or do I have to queue the whole thing" - He told me to go queue like everyone else. I may be wrong but it's crazy, the seat was empty anyway! So I haven't been on it since last year and I've had a good memory last year but this season I've had no idea what it's like.

Maybe Thorpe should consider making some short yet forceful settings for peak times? Like people have seen, it isn't like the ride has become too old to do it anymore; especially with the refurb.Can understand why they can't use the longer settings for busy times right now; not only would the ride be longer but add on the already long loading process, it will probably get a little silly. Have there been any new top scans built recently which don't need each individual pod to have their restraints lowered, and just have a central control in the cabin? Or do you think there is a specific reason the ride hasn't done this?

Have there been any new top scans built recently which don't need each individual pod to have their restraints lowered, and just have a central control in the cabin? Or do you think there is a specific reason the ride hasn't done this?

I guess this is because the operator couldnt see that everyone was sitting in the correct position so them not to get trapped when the bars come down on them.

Good point; would probably require a lot of CCTV dotted around the platform and end up making the ride platform looking more like an extension of Jigsaw's lair as opposed to...a loading platform.

Erm, no, the real reason is much more simple - it's mechanically much more complex to build a ride with pods that swing freely, rotate around a hub point and rotate again around a third central point, which is wired up throughout. Think about it, if there were electrical connections to each seat in the pod, the pods would not be able to rotate freely without wires getting tangled. A more complex design could be used, but lets remember a Mondial top scan is designed as a fairground ride that is easy to construct and dismantle, reliable and avoiding needless complexities such as electrical connections across every rotational axis in the ride to each individual seat. You will also note exactly the same seat configuration on Zierer's star shape model. Visability isn't a problem; the vortex operator can see very little, you just use your platform staff to communicate when all riders are ready.

I'd presume they'd connect with shoes to the main arm, like a rollercoaster - so it'd only engage when in the same position.Could be possible without one wire throughout. Could be possible to have one run it like that, particularly as Samurai already has a zero position which it needs to hit before it lowers - suggesting that it can be implemented on all the topscans.

Good point, but there is another way which would make the pods centrally controllable without complex wiring.I noticed on a new S&S Air Swing in Dollywood, they have a sliding metal plate mechanism beneath each swing. I'm not quite sure what these are for but I'd assume it's either a way of locking the swings down during boarding or activating the locks in the restraints. It would probably need too much modification to use this kind of technology on Samurai but just an idea.EDIT: What Peter said...

• 2 months later...

Having never seen another top scan, I never really noticed a zeroing issue of late; never really saw Samurai in it's early Thorpe days as I rarely get a chance to go. Once a year is a record for me ;) Only ever seen it swing once a little, swing again, lock the suddenly and lower. I presume lowering is all down to the PLC?