The Smiler

th13teen

All I'd heard about this coaster is that it's rough and you will come off it feeling destroyed.

I've now been on it twice and both were smooth rides (except for that jolt, which really is nothing). Even the "dodgy" train (train 4) was absolutely fine, a bit of vibration but certainly nothing to moan about.

All you people saying Smiler is rough need to man up.

I believe that since the 'planned maintenance' of those 2 days a few weeks ago, many people have commented how much smoother that the ride has been compared to before. I sure noticed a difference and I was on train 4, row 4 both before and after this planned maintenance and certainly felt improved.

So, at last I have ridden The Smiler and to honest I'm still not entirely sure what I think about it.

First off, reliability is still clearly quite a considerable issue. I had about 7 or 8 goes on it yesterday, wasn't really counting, with wait times varying between 5 mins and 30 mins. It was no problem really seeing as it was a quiet day but I would honestly guess I spent more of that time waiting for a closed ride to reopen rather than waiting for the open ride to process the people standing in front of me. The thing was continuously going down for between 5 to 15 minutes, when numbers start picking up again into scarefest I imagine the queue times will not be pretty.

I don't know if it is deliberate but the queue line itself seems like the first optical illusion as when people are streaming through it without having to queue it feels like it is some sort of mirror maze, very disorientating. It is a shame the mesh has gone over the whole thing, I bet the views of the ride soaring overhead were stunning originally. The indoor queue section is a neat touch and keep the wait interesting, although all the projectors on the right hand side are about half inch out, spoiling the effect and a concerning little movement in the building maybe? I love the score which sounds stunning throughout the queue. Up into the minimalist station and ready to board...

By pure chance all of my rides were in either the front a back rows. I'm told the ride start is supposed to be accompanied by a blast of smoke, but all I ever got was a bright light. Why do we find such simple little effects so hard to maintain? So we are off with little fanfare into a drop and the first inversion which should be dark but isn't as the building seems to be coming away from the ground letting in a swathe of light. The front row gives a neat trick of not being able to tell which way up you are once you've levelled out but it doesn't work at all in the back. The direct comparison has to be with the Saw indoor section and this is a bit of a non event. It's a shame there isn't more of it and more of a shame that what is there isn't properly dark and doesn't just look like a dank dull space.

Up the standard lift hill (with a rather neat quiet anti rollback system) and the main event begins. What I was expecting was a sequence of inversions that felt shoehorned together to meet the magic number, but it is better than that. A lot lot better. The sequence flows really well and the inversions all feel natural. It is incredibly disorientating and even with my knowledge of what was going to happen I still had trouble identifying what I was doing at any given point. Then the half way brake run, which is screaming out to be enclosed, dark and with an effect or two, for more of the same on the other side of the vertical hill. As a ride, I loved it. It is relentless and goes on and on without becoming overwhelming or dull. By far the highlights for me are the two final corkscrews, the airtime hills and the dive loops, some beautiful manoeuvres. But it is far from being perfect...

There are two points on the track that are very unpleasant to get through, the lesser being the exit of the first corkscrew with a nasty jolt and the greater being the deep thud that slams through you in the cobra roll. They wouldn't be acceptable in an old ride, they certainly shouldn't be in a brand new one and knowing the one towards the end is coming is always in the back of your mind. They also exacerbate the other huge issue, and that is the restraints. On a ride like this even on sections of good track the tight transitions are always going to cause your head and upper body to shift about, what you don't need then is a big slab of useless hard plastic an inch away from your face and torso. The result is obvious, and should have been to the fool who decided not to go with lap bars. My wife hit the side of her head so hard the back of her earring pushed into the side of her neck cutting her, she also has sore visibly red shoulders, I just have some tenderness to my neck. The other problem with the restraints is whatever they have made them from stinks, a vile musty damp smell that you can't escape on the ride and gets in your clothes to follow you round for the rest of the day too. Rough and unnecessary.

My other problem is with what should be a massive strength from the effort that has gone into it, and that is the theme. A great man recently said what is important to an experience is a story, a narrative. So much effort has gone into the theme of The Smiler; the marmaliser structure and elements, the tricks in the station entrance and exit, the MoJ back story the relativity few who saw them gave. But what is the story? Why are we there? Why are we riding? The story has a middle, where you are on the ride and being marmalised, it has an end where you now belong to The Smiler, but it doesn't have a beginning so the rest of it doesn't mean much. There needs to be a point to the whole thing, as it is it has a style more than a theme even if it is a good one.

TL:DR - It's a good ride which could and should have been a lot better with a bit of thought. It is like it is trying to sabotage itself and not give the amazing experience it surely could with the many things it has going for it. At the same time I somehow loved it but struggled to actually enjoy it.

The stinky smell, is actually what it smells like; from where so many people have felt the need to share their lunch with others it has impregnated the softer fittings.

Rode it last Saturday; nice ride, but I would not queue for anything over twenty-five minutes for it, which to me seems like two rides joined together.

Brilliant review Pluk.

I was there again on Saturday and I agree about the smell of the restraints... We were involved in one of the many, many breakdowns, we were stuck on the final brake run for 20 minutes at the end of the day... the restraints absolutely stink smiley-sick007.gif

I thought it was just due for a wipedown at the end of the day after everyone had been sweating all over it!

I can see a lot of people being disappointed next year if they end up expecting loads of work to Smiler. At best, the reliability should improve and the apparent drainage issues may be sorted, but not much else.

In other news, I finally get to try this thing out on Sunday (if it's open...). Oddly enough, I'm more looking forward to my Fright Nights trip than going on Smiler...

Bit of a weird comparison - a coaster with an event.

Could build any coaster in the world, I'd still prefer scarefest. I just love the mazes and storylines with them.

Yeah, I guess it is. :P

It's just that pretty much I've been waiting to go on Smiler for about a year now, but the past couple of months, I've lost interest in riding it. When it comes to riding a new coaster, I tend to really look forward to it, but that excitement for Smiler really has dwindled away, though I don't quite know why. Despite the new mazes, FN is still something I've done for several years, and is much more 'of the norm' to me, if you will, so not something I'd normally get excited over as much as doing a new major coaster.

So for me, it does feel quite strange at the moment. As I say though, I don't quite know why I've lost that buzz over Smiler... :unsure:

Does anyone know what the actual problem(s) causing the breakdowns are now? It was odd when I was watching from various points of the queue Tuesday, not like any other breakdowns I've seen before.

The ride would be going round normally, then it would stop dispatching until all cars made it to the final brake run where they sat loaded and the breakdown message played. There would be no visible activity from anyone in the control booth nor any engineer going to any visible point of the track, then after about 5 to 10 minutes it would start up again immediately with full trains, no empty ones would be sent. Odd.

Twice I saw what I think of a more standard breakdown, where the ride is evacuated and empty test cars sent.

This is exactly what was happening on Saturday when I was queueing....

Happened 4 times while we were in the area - one of which when we were on the ride.

The engineers seem to know exactly what the issue is because (as you said) they don't even bother with test runs. There was a hell of a crowd in the control room when they got it going though.

I think the main reason for the delay is that the engineers take forever to walk across the park to get there!

It is like the system crashes and they are just waiting for it to reboot or something.

One theory I had is it being an overspeed issue. The one time it happened while I was on the ride and we were the last ones to pull into the station it felt to me like we took the corkscrews at a hell of a speed, as if the trims on the airtime hill had failed. If that happens maybe they just let it do a self test? Would seem like a bit of a big problem to be happening that frequently though, the sort f thing they'd have to fix properly before opening it.

Not very good really is it.... The fact that it needs trims in the first place is bad enough, but if it's still over-speeding that's surely bad news ??

It's quite funny seeing the uproar in the control room though... Like 10 people crowded in the control box all waving their arms about :P Also the cheer that goes up in the queue when a train moves is hilarious!

When I was last there, it was a train not parking properly or something - all trains would stack (as mentioned above), but then they'd send one car round (full of guests) in manual before restarting ride.

The exact same thing happened again in the day - is this similar to those experiencing or are they sending all 5 trains around instantly, and it seeming very automated?

Hmm, when it happened with me on track it must have gone straight back to auto as the cars stacked in front were emptied, filled and dispatched in rapid succession on reopening. It's not something I was looking for the rest of the time though to be honest (the dispatching was sporadic at best all the times), so maybe that is what was happening.

Review The Smiler

So, I finally did Smiler today. Did it twice in fact; both times with about an hour queue. And, well, the best way I can describe my views are that it is just a 'slightly above average ride'.

First off, the look of the ride. The ride looks phenomenal. It manages to draw your attention without hogging the limelight, which I think people feared with regards to Oblivion. As you enter X-Sector, there's always something different to look at, and always something going on. It's just an amazing feast for your eyes.

The queue itself is a strange one. In one sense, it's actually quite disorientating to be in, and it looks a lot less than it is. But, at the same time, it feels very mundane, and I was a bit disappointed that after a while, you feel like you've seen all there is to see. It gets boring almost, which isn't good. There's only so many times you can look at 2 cars going round part of the track, and the videos you see are both great to watch, yet don't keep your attention long enough. The 'Smile. Always' and 'Join Us' map things are quite interesting to look at, but it's a shame you can't really see them perfectly, especially the latter.

994011_10202265252135765_279327267_n.jpg

Who is this Al and why should he smile?

1381745_10202265252815782_2080665584_n.j

Oooooooh.

1382915_10202265258175916_252926790_n.jp

This was the best shot I could get of 'Join Us'. Not great.

1391761_10202265259295944_495394643_n.jp

There has been rain today, making the queue a wanna-be Storm Surge...

The indoor queue is actually quite fun and interesting actually. The second go, one of the projectors had blue-screened, which isn't great. However, when it works, it's great. The station area, though minimalist, works in my opinion. It's simple and yet has a harsh clinical feel to it, exactly what you want from this attraction I think.

Now then, ride experience. I had back row on both my goes, for reference...

The dispatch is great, though I'm really not a fan of the voice that says 'It's time to get corrected' and 'Join us' and all that. It doesn't really fit in with the station's ambience in my opinion.

The indoor drop is fun, and was surprisingly quick. However, it was very obvious it was going to happen from watching trains leave the station. A small niggle I know, but I just can't help but feel if it had been concealed or was designed slightly differently, it would have been better and more surprising. The first inversion is fun in itself, but a flashing light does not make it any better. A huge wasted opportunity there. The brakes before the lift with the loud, evil laughing is great; seriously loved that bit.

And then it's up we go. And then down. Through inversion, after inversion, after inversion. I wasn't particularly worried about the ride being mostly inversions, as you can still create something that flows (something which, I think, Colossus does well. One of the few positives I'll say about it). However, to me, Smiler felt like inversion stuck onto inversion. It felt all very forced and uninteresting. The first airtime hill is great because it very briefly breaks up the monotony of the inversions. Yet, after that, it is just like 'how many inversions can be bolted together'. Admittedly, I was disorientated, and the half way point is a good thing (another fear I had about the ride feeling like two rides bolted together - this was not the case).

The TVs before the vertical lift were nice. I don't quite know what I expected from them, but I felt like more could have been done with them? Instead, they were just sorta there; felt like I was seeing nothing new really. And then we go up again. And then down again. Through inversion, after inversion, after inversion again. The second half feels like it was meant to follow the first half, but yet again, it just feels like you're being forced through inversion after inversion, with an airtime hill (again, very fun) chucked in because they couldn't put an inversion there. I dunno, but it just feels a bit monotonous to me. The cobra roll has a nasty jolt and is the only rough part of the ride. On a brighter note, the final two inversions are strangely enjoyable; possibly because they're so different to most of the other inversions?

The blurred 'You belong to The Smiler' as you exit is actually really clever, and the exit corridor is a brilliant touch. But I can't help but feel they could have done more. Just imagine is parts of the corridor were like the indoor queue line of Duel, where you feel on a slant, lose your balance and become disorientated? Would've been awesome.

Another thing I can't help but be disappointed in is that there's no real story here. We're being corrected, to make us smile, but why? Is this from an evil organisation who want us to conform to something? Is this from a nice friendly bunch of people who are a bit creepy? Just what? Is this meant to mess with our minds, or improve them? Everything just feels so fuzzy, and I think it would have been really simply to add a bit of a story at least, with no harm done. It's a shame, as you can tell a lot of effort went into the videos they've created.

Couple more things - the Marmaliser is great to look at, but you only really notice it on ride once; first airtime hill (does make a great headchopper though!). I was sorta expecting that, but doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that I was correct there. Marmaliser effects were hit and miss - first time, the Tickler and Hypnotiser weren't working, second time they were. The Inoculator (is that even turned on these days) didn't work at all. On a more positive note though, the music is simply amazing. Also, some top quality merchandise is the amazing shop (seemed to grab a bargain of getting the Smiler paperweight for £14.40, with AP discount, when it's RRP is £40!).

Whilst this is quite a negative review, and I'm not Smiler's biggest fans, I do however think it is just what the park needed. It's a fast, furious coaster targeted for the teens and young adults. It's filled a space that the park's line up was missing. No doubt the public are still lapping it up. But personally, I just don't rate it all that highly.

And so...

1379246_10202265254175816_1266195437_n.j

My pre-correctional face.

1391847_10202265268256168_1439112399_n.j

My post-'correctional' face.

On a scale of 'very grim' to 'massive grin', The Smiler gets a 'content smile' from me, which is an unfortunate 6/10.

New from Bottletop, a brand new video showing snippets of footage from The Marmaliser and audio from 'Buy The Smiler' with a little bit of second lift hill audio. If you ever wanted the chirpier version of the 'Ha Ha Ha', here it is. :)

Original on vimeo here: http://vimeo.com/76856495

OR

I have uploaded it to Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmLweasQxQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UURHF8Ka7aDrbcHHJiCoLIrg

Also, there is a snippet of The Smiler Shop TV footage as well.

Enjoy :)