The Smiler

th13teen

See, I don't get the "oh Saw was built by now, therefore it will be late" arguement at all...

Different rides, different construction styles, different locations, different weather... Just because one was built a certain way, doesn't mean that every other Gerstlauer will be, especially when different external construction companies are being used...

If we're gonna compare, why not compare to Takibashi? That's the closest example to a large scale multi-looping Gerstlauer we have, and that was built in two weeks or sommat daft...

I guess it's just a mixture of enthusiasts wanting Towers/Merlin to fail so they can complain, and a few who are just literally hitting the panic button because of how they think ride (or any form of) construction works, and as it's not working in that manner, it won't be built on time...

I'll still be preparing the humble pie for March though... Even if it's for me, because I feel optimistic that just cos it's not at a particular stage in comparison to another ride doesn't automatically mean it won't open on time as scheduled...

See, I don't get the "oh Saw was built by now, therefore it will be late" arguement at all...

Different rides, different construction styles, different locations, different weather... Just because one was built a certain way, doesn't mean that every other Gerstlauer will be, especially when different external construction companies are being used...

If we're gonna compare, why not compare to Takibashi? That's the closest example to a large scale multi-looping Gerstlauer we have, and that was built in two weeks or sommat daft...

I guess it's just a mixture of enthusiasts wanting Towers/Merlin to fail so they can complain, and a few who are just literally hitting the panic button because of how they think ride (or any form of) construction works, and as it's not working in that manner, it won't be built on time...

I'll still be preparing the humble pie for March though... Even if it's for me, because I feel optimistic that just cos it's not at a particular stage in comparison to another ride doesn't automatically mean it won't open on time as scheduled...

I here you, but Takabisha has no themeing at all. SW7 has enormous themeing pieces to build as well as the track, and to build either before the other will naturally restrict the ease of movement when building the second part (looking likely to be the themeing e.g. the spider thing). I don't worry that it won't be open for March - I worry it'll pull a Krake on us.

I am not concerned in the slightest - its still just over 3 months to opening day. Personally for me I was surprised how soon saw was up as from my memory the track was never up till just after new year anyway on previous coasters.

Also just because the track is going up doesn't mean they can't do other things at the same time. Things like theming will go up extremely quickly and I'm sure that that is being sorted at the studios at this very moment in time. Look at these new schools that ate built at the moment takes them ages to dig holes and demolish but the building comes as a jigsaw piece these days and goes up practically overnight.

Sw7 pit is not a small hole either and from what I've seen they've done pretty well so far (speaking from observations of family and clients within the construction industry) and merlin would have taken into consideration delays and will pull out the workforce if things start looking sketchy as they have actually said a date and not spring 2013. So they'll make sure it gets done

Recent attractions over the past few years across the park have been damn good of late other than the couple of exceptions, but their big projects have hit the mark. Overall the theming contributions have risen compared to a few years ago, and we are very fortunate they bother giving us this immersive theming when there's not really that much competition for merlin in the uk at the moment. People need to stop dreaming that we live in another country and have the big industry gurus on our doorstep and appreciate that for a little island we have some good contributions. We all got into this hobby due to our love for the industry and as time goes on people turn into these newspaper critics trying to find the smallest thing to knock it down because as time goes on people have seen more and therefore want more!

I'm currently at the Winchester and looking forward to the experience on opening weekend

I'm genuinely with Peaj and Benin on this (Just a coke for me guys ;)) If they are running behind schedule then unless is a major delay we would probably know. We all know how sneaky some of us are ;)

We do know its behind schedule. Whether that affects it being open on time (as in open day as opposed to any other day as Alton haven't specified when the coaster is actually due to open) is another thing entirely.

Logically, they would, as to prevent an excessive backlash on the day and being able to manage expectations...

But that's the logical answer, which as we saw this year, doesn't really course through Merlin or it's PR machine...

It is behind schedule (to be expected with the god-awful weather this year), but it doesn't mean they're taking measures to get back on time (see working on Sundays)...

I am not sure whether this belongs here, or in the advertising forum - apologies if it shouldn't be here (mods move it if need be). However, I felt it was a pretty big deal re: SW7!

There's a competition launching later this evening for AT enthusiasts via www.towersstreet.com.

You could win:

- One night stay for 4 people in one of the new SW7 themed rooms.

- Park entry for 4.

- Fastracks for 4.

- Behind the scenes tour of SW7.

It launches at 7.30pm this evening and you're all more than welcome to enter! There's updates via the TS Facebook page, too - www.facebook.com/towersstreet

:)