The Smiler

th13teen

,'Alton Towers is maintaining that its new rollercoaster will be open for the start of the park’s main season on 16 March.

Confusion arose earlier today when a countdown to the ride’s opening was removed from its promotional page on the theme park’s website.

However, staff taking advanced bookings for the theme park are advising guests that the ride “will be open” on the first day of the season, which has been set at 16 March this year.

Rumours of construction delays have dogged the project since late last year, but it is understood that contractors are still confident of achieving the ride’s handover in time.

A request to extend permitted construction working hours was granted by the local authorities after wet weather delayed the building of the ride’s foundations last year.

The later than usual commencement of a marketing programme has also fuelled suspicion of delays with the rollercoaster, which will be a new variant of the Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter.'' - TAKEN FROM RIDE RATER

Ignore Ride Rater.

There is infamous ill communication between contact centres and the actual theme park. That sounds daft, but it's true.

As for the delay on the ride - it would appear that it could well be set for a delayed opening. I would imagine it is safer for them to announce this, rather than to continue allow people to book for March whether for just one day or hotels aswell - when this coul risk causing them a lot of bad guest satisfaction in the event that the ride does not open.

So, to play it safe - for now, withdraw adverts proclaiming a 16th March opening, Then, as soon as possible, decide whether to announce a late (Easter?) opening.

Either way, as long as when the attraction does open, it is complete - I am happy. I really couldn't give a hoot if it doesn't open in March - so long as what we do eventually get is a top quality rollercoaster experience.

In my eyes, it will be a disappointment if this ride doesn't open when the park opens. 16th March has always been the planned opening, as shown on some PR releases and the countdown. Regardless of how many people know when the ride was planned to be opened, if the park opens without SW7, there will no doubt be some issues with people.

However, this things do happen. Rides do get delayed, issues do come up. I think we'd all much rather have a complete experience than a half-complete one. I guess it comes down to what people would prefer - the whole experience late, or a weak experience early? Whatever the answer to that question is, in my eyes, there's no doubting that a delayed opening of SW7 would be a huge disappointment, and seen by some to be a failure.

Only the haters, or those who find any excuse to have a go, would be genuinely 'annoyed'.

We still have well over 2 months from the original 'planned' opening date, so it'll be plenty of time to shuffle those visiting arrangements.

Delayed rides is nothing new around the world as we're all well aware - we wouldn't want a Saw situation where it 'opens' - but then just spends the first week pretty much closed entirely... they need to get this right, and if that means a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 week postponement - then so be it.

:)

Only the haters, or those who find any excuse to have a go, would be genuinely 'annoyed'.

Going to AT is quite a big deal for me and people who live as far away as I do, requiring a significant amount of planning. I would be genuinely annoyed if I had planned a visit around an advertised opening of a big new attraction and it wasn't ready in time, and I wouldn't consider myself a hater! I'd view this very differently to it having been opened but closing for an unforeseeable reason. Luckily I've made no plans at the moment!

What if it's been delayed in construction for an unforseeable reason?

Unfortunately right now, it's just speculation whether or not the ride will be open... Unless an enthusiast has links to the construction team and their new construction schedule as it's defo been changed due to an unexpected discovery during excavation (Wait... What? That sounds strangely familiar) causing construction to be delayed and plans of construction method changed...

Such is the way of construction and engineering... A problem arises, a solution is found, and sometimes that comes at a price of the time-frame, I should know, experienced that enough in my work...

Going to AT is quite a big deal for me and people who live as far away as I do, requiring a significant amount of planning. I would be genuinely annoyed if I had planned a visit around an advertised opening of a big new attraction and it wasn't ready in time, and I wouldn't consider myself a hater! I'd view this very differently to it having been opened but closing for an unforeseeable reason. Luckily I've made no plans at the moment!

I agree in theory, but we're still well over 2 months from the original date. I think it would be a different argument entirely if we were, say, 2 or 3 weeks before.

It's still 10 weeks, 1 day until the start of the season.

:)

For me it really isn't an issue, my employer is very good with annual leave and I can book days off when I want. For others their employers require weeks or even have to book their annual leave 1 year in advance, two companies I have worked for require you to book all your annual leave at the beginning of the year.

So if you are in the situation where your annual leave is already booked and you can not change it, for example you may have booked 19th of March off for example, then you may not be able to cancel that leave nor rebook another day. I doubt anyone would have booked a hotel 2 months in advance.

It's still 10 weeks, 1 day until the start of the season.

Exactly why I haven't made plans yet. It depends how they handle it from here on in. It may well open in time, then fair enough. It may not, then they need to communicate that as soon as is possible, ie as soon as they know themselves. If a couple of weeks before opening they are still advertising and taking bookings with the promise of an open SW7 when they know full well it ain't gonna happen, that would be wrong.

Outside of natural disasters the problem / delay thing of engineering isn't really good enough. There's no need to cut things that fine and a delay like that shouldn't be unforeseeable this close to opening. I think we are getting close enough now for them to know when it'll be ready, in which case they should tell, just bite the bullet and announce. The USA way of having an opening date, but opening for 'previews' if it is ready earlier, works fine by me. Would stop a lot of silliness.

I doubt anyone would have booked a hotel 2 months in advance.

Really? As the hotels are already full for opening weekend I think you may be wrong. I know if I had more faith in opening happening I would have booked by now!

On the bright side, if it isn't open there's still Nemesis and Oblivion to entertain us if SW7 doesn't open on time. :wub:

Interesting that. I wonder if Oblivion will be open to the public if SW7 is finished on time? One can imagine the whole area being a mess with construction vehicles and equipment.

If they didn't open up X-Sector with SW7 still under construction I'd be surprised because they don't want to anger guests to much (even though it may seem like they do). Hopefully by that point most construction vehicles will be gone and it will just be the finishing touches. In a perfect world though the park will open on the 16th March with SW7 completely finished and fully operational.

I suspect that by March 16th the ride will almost be complete. The track will most likely be completed within a couple of weeks so that leaves a good 8/9 weeks for theming/electricals/testing etc. If access to the site is still needed when the park opens, they can easily fence off a path straight to Oblivion/rest of X-Sector.

Just looking over Rita's construction and they seemed to be no problem with that opening late, and I believe X-Sector will be open come the new season as they won't need re-pave the whole land unlike UG Land! They can easily divert guest into X-Sector without touching SW7, they was giving out "previews" of the ride to annual pass holders or people who book tickets with Rita, wouldn't this be much better? It give Alton & the public an idea of the ride so they can change things and iron out problems before the main opening.

It happens all the time in the American parks, why do the UK parks have to be different? Yes its annoying because March is when everything normally opens but Merlin try and do big things in a small space of time, they're/was planning to build the 3rd longest rollercoaster in 2 months and a bit with huge theming and effects? Madness! I do think the planning was poor & they didn't really think about how much work was be needed, as I believe this was quickly drawn up (Correct me if I'm wrong) and put in because the original SW7 wasn't ready.

Alton cannot afford to make a Sub-Terra mistake again, I just wish they did this for Sub-Terra, would of saved them alot of embarrassment.

I'd rather have a fully working rollercoaster in the later half of the season than a half shoddy job at the start. :)

According to some people and Tower Times and some people on twitter, Alton Towers released an advert for 2013 that was on TV I'm not sure when or where but they said it was aired at 2pm today and will be put on later I think. Exciting!!

I found this on youtube. Whether this is what people have seen I dont know.

If you dont want to spoil any suprise for yourself, just in case it is the advert, dont click the link :D