The Smiler

th13teen

I do hope I'm not the only one who realises the sheer irony that a coaster enthusiast site is offering free Fastrack as a competition prize...

Actually I think it's great that the resort are offering enthusiasts this opportunity! I don't recall another time in the recent past, anyway. You don't have to use the fastracks, you could always burn them in a ritualistic manner outside the Box Office!

;)

Double post shocker.

So TowersStreet have rubbished the secret element being as 'revealed' by TowersTimes to be a spinning trick track. I don't know what to make of it as I don't know who knows what and who, but taking from past news reliability I lean towards trusting the TS team more than TT. Also, as shown by with the competition, TS clearly have a good relationship with AT and I'd say are more likely to be given correct info. On top of that the trick as described has never sounded like anything that would ride particularly well to me.

If it is true that there is no trick track then what is SW7's world first/beating thing? I've always thought the inversion record (without a cheating trick) could be likely, or a true vertical launch (which would sit so will with the worlds first vertical drop next door) would be a solid meaningful record. Or maybe there is no record if the trick was planned but has now been cancelled, but I find that highly unlikely as the trick as described would be incredibly simple to achieve really.

As this revolves around the inside section I guess we won't really know for certain until opening day no matter how many helicopters or people in trees take photos. I quite like the not knowing, but I also want to know.

Yep that was the ones! I only saw the one but thanks for sharing!

As for the element, I'm in the same boat as you... I want to know but I also like not knowing what it is and will await the suprise when Towers spoil it on ITV like Thirteen!

Edited for accuracy ;)

The Washing Machine concept has always sounded cack though... Hated it from day 1, as well as the whole "this is what it'll be" stuff... Would laugh if it's not true, as would defo put TTF even lower on the chain of enthusiast sites...

From this 'world beating' tag line I have decided, but I'm probably entirely wrong, that what we have here is the 'real' inversion record. But they can't call it that because guinness have decided 4d inversions count towards the official record, and as a world record is an officially awarded thing Alton can't just ignore the stupidity of that decision and claim the record anyway. They have to call it something else. I'd stab at 12 inversions, as 11 is already happening.

So we are left with this carefully but awkwardly worded claim, I can't think of another reason they'd not just be saying world record if it beats the rest of the world?

Alton Towers said on their official Twitter account that "this account is not connected to Alton Towers or Merlin in anyway" ... It just looks so well done though. Could Towers be trying to convince everyone that this isn't related to them, when in fact it possibly could be?

Leaves me in the middle tbh, in some ways I think it could be real but now Towers have said that it could not be. Hmm. I suppose only time will tell with this if more media appears.

Alton Towers have confirmed over Twitter that this video and the accompanying Twitter account are fan made. Well done to the person who created it - very professional and well thought out - better than a fair bit of fan made stuff you see! EDIT: Beaten to it! :ninja: Seems a lot like Th13teen - fans marketing the ride as much as the marketing team! :P

Would love a Phalanx style marketing campaign soon (maybe when the name is released) as that was amazing!

Alton Towers said on their official Twitter account that "this account is not connected to Alton Towers or Merlin in anyway" ... It just looks so well done though. Could Towers be trying to convince everyone that this isn't related to them, when in fact it possibly could be?

Leaves me in the middle tbh, in some ways I think it could be real but now Towers have said that it could not be. Hmm. I suppose only time will tell with this if more media appears.

Quite a few people hold the same opinion. As someone said to me on Facebook, why were AT so quick to claim this video as fake, on the Sunday night before Christmas? Very odd indeed.

Looks like the cobra roll thingy has been built :)

I don't think I will be heading down to the resort more than once next year, the queues for sw7 will be overflowing out of the rails and everything else will have really short queues! As much as I would like to ride sw7 next year, I will leave it to future years when all the commotion is down!