The Smiler

th13teen

It'll be quiet on quiet days, and busy on busy days. As always.

Majority of the time I visited to ride swarm, the queue was no more than 5mins. But also a good couple of times I queued almost 2hrs for it. Just depends when you visit.

You'd easily get on it though if you wanted to.

It's a daft viewpoint, like saying that last year I wasn't gonna go on Swarm because it would be popular and busy...

No point not going just cos a new ride will unsurprisingly be busy...

I only went on the Swarm around 15 times last season, but I went on Stealth, Inferno, Saw etc 50+ times

I'm all for new rides, but not if they come with a 90 minute queue and I'm not buying into Fast Tracks either.

The downside is that Oblivion will be very busy too as with more people flocking over to SW7, we can say goodbye to being able to almost walk on to Oblivion

I only went on the Swarm around 15 times last season, but I went on Stealth, Inferno, Saw etc 50+ times

I'm all for new rides, but not if they come with a 90 minute queue and I'm not buying into Fast Tracks either.

The downside is that Oblivion will be very busy too as with more people flocking over to SW7, we can say goodbye to being able to almost walk on to Oblivion

-The key thing here though is you still rode Swarm in its opening season. If you were to have only visited Thorpe once last season, and Swarm had a 90 minute queue, would you be prepared to queue that for what could be your only chance in a year? For me, I would. The same goes with SW7. I'm planning to visit early on in the season on a weekday so hopefully should visit when SW7's queue isn't too busy (basically as Fred says - it will be busy when it's busy, and quiet when it's quiet). However, if those plans fall through, my only visit is likely to be the first weekend of Scarefest - sure, SW7 will have a long queue, but for a new ride, you have to expect that.

If people aren't prepared to queue for so long, that's understandable, as everyone has their limit. However, with an opening season of a huge new ride, busyness has to be expected. I reckon that with Oblivion on ERT again and it's high throughput, there will no doubt be times when Oblivion has a short queue, especially near the beginning of the day - even though it's close to SW7, most will still head there first..

But hey, why worry about Oblivion - the likes of Nemesis will be walk on for a good period of the day! :D

I've been pretty hush on the progress of the project so far, I do believe this will be finished on time, but the whole experience, will not.

People are worrying it will be a repeat of Sub-Terra, an unfinished ride, but thankfully, SW7 has a solid ride as its main focus point, anything extra is a bonus.

So if the whole experience isn't finished by 16th March 2013, They're won't be a string of Facebook comments saying "No effects working, no lights and not scary at all" More like "That was the most thrilling and scary experience of my life, never been chucked upside so many times" ^_^

Also quit your moaning about the long queues, I'm bringing a picnic & board games as I prepare for the 2 hours + queues with breakdowns ;)

(Thats if its open, if not I'll be playing snake and ladders outside Thirteen's shop)

Long queues suck, and any time the park is busy this season SW7 will be too. The first time I go after opening I will queue to try it no matter how long it takes and expect a hefty wait, how acceptable this will be to me will depend greatly on how many people are farcetracking themselves in front of me creating a queue which should't exist. I'm hoping this will be the first coaster Merlin install with a manageable farcetrack plan in place which is sold at acceptable levels, I'm very much not holding my breath that that will happen though.

After that I have an aversion to anything above around 30 minutes, so I'll whore everything else while people are elsewhere getting themselves corrected.

I'm hoping this will be the first coaster Merlin install with a manageable farcetrack plan in place which is sold at acceptable levels, I'm very much not holding my breath that that will happen though.

Thirteen?

I'm sorry, you're confusing this with thorpe. Towers run their fastrack systems very differently - Thirteen didn't sell fastrack properly (as in, not advertised or constantly available) until around July. Didn't have any availability whatsoever in first month or so. Sub terra didn't have any availability until after easter holidays (only available on Ultimate and Platinum). I imagine SW7 will be the same as thirteen, not available on all until they're absolutely sure the ride is settled and functioning correctly.

Even now I find thirteens fastrack is sold acceptably.. the only time when it's not, is scarefest when it was affected by hotel fastrack. Free fastrack, and therefore not sold.. (Dark Forest tickets decreased at same time)

As for queues as well, unless there was technical issues (even first day) there weren't queues of over 50mins. Sub terras first day (although, yes, not a coaster but popular for a new ride) had 40min queues. I just don't expect it to make much of a difference, if its running at full capacity with no issues.

Oblivion, well thats always busy in the morning then dead by the afternoon onwards. I imagine all that SW7 will do is make ERT busier, make it very quiet come 10, get busier around lunch then die completely. This is exactly what happened to Nemesis this year where a lot of the time, the only time it had relative queues was around lunch.

I don't see the problem, I'll only get to go once to Towers next year and if SW7 has a long queue so what. It's a new ride and experience that will be popular. An hours queue isn't that bad and I'm sure if people wanted they could use ERT to stand outside the entrance to it (or wherever they'll hold you) to make sure you'll be near the front of the queue. Anyway, this is Alton Towers, I'm pretty sure it'll have single rider which will be near walk on most days like Thirteens is.

Thirteen?

I'm sorry, you're confusing this with thorpe. Towers run their fastrack systems very differently - Thirteen didn't sell fastrack properly (as in, not advertised or constantly available) until around July. Didn't have any availability whatsoever in first month or so. Sub terra didn't have any availability until after easter holidays (only available on Ultimate and Platinum). I imagine SW7 will be the same as thirteen, not available on all until they're absolutely sure the ride is settled and functioning correctly.

You are pretty much right there, I hadn't thought of th13teen and what they have done there seems to be a good standard to manage fastrack by if it has to exist (which it doesn't, but that's another conversation!). Although while being in the Th13teen queue during a RITA breakdown in September I stood still for about 15 minutes (in a queue that was only supposed to be 25 minutes long) as they seemed to sell their whole days allocation at once, so they too are not adverse to giving up on fairness and taking the money when the opportunity comes along.

Alton doesn't always get it right, the ratios on Spinball always have been way off of being fair and we've all seen the farcical pictures on Nemesis from this summer. N:ST does not have the capacity to deal with fastrack at all and it should never have been included, capacity should't be a problem for SW7 though, so fingers crossed you are right!

Rides like Spinball/Fury just don't work on Fastrack, if Disney can't do it, no one can...

As for the summer pics, least it was only summer, like that at Thorpe most weekends... Indeed, it's half an issue of guest mentality as well... The amount of people I saw at Chessie buying Fastrack when it wasn't needed was just silly at times (especially Ultimate ones) so any intelligent business would be wise to jump onto what is effectively a giant cash cow... Of course the way the Fastrack is done is way too abusable at times (I should know, that's what Fastrack shots to avoid that burdenous 90 minute Saw queue are for), so the system is a problem (naturally)... I'm a reasonable fan of Q-Bots after my experiences with them, but when you get guests wanting to make the most of their day and willing to spend the money for it... At least we Brits like queuing, the Americans are a lot worse (Buy ALL the Fastracks we can!)

And that standing still was probably due to everyone wanting to go on Rita turning around and doing Thirteen instead, can't blame breakdowns as part of a Fastrack issue when they sell combined tickets (Dark Forest) as well...

Towers will probs do a Thirteen and not sell any Fastrack until it settles in I reckon... Doubt a full queue will equate to 90 minutes this time though... Not that I can go to opening day anyways... *shrugs*

Although while being in the Th13teen queue during a RITA breakdown in September I stood still for about 15 minutes (in a queue that was only supposed to be 25 minutes long) as they seemed to sell their whole days allocation at once, so they too are not adverse to giving up on fairness and taking the money when the opportunity comes along.

Alton doesn't always get it right, the ratios on Spinball always have been way off of being fair and we've all seen the farcical pictures on Nemesis from this summer. N:ST does not have the capacity to deal with fastrack at all and it should never have been included, capacity should't be a problem for SW7 though, so fingers crossed you are right!

Yeah the Rita issue is more than likely people coming straight from rita to thirteen - priority passes if they've been stuck on ride, disabled guests and fastracks all appearing at once. Happens if two rides are close together - if both were working it'd be fine.

Spinball, agreed. Think everyone agrees. Nemesis that picture was caused by someone not actually doing their job properly (let's say, they let 4 fastrack in every 32 queue) over a half hour period that's what was created. NST is fine with fastrack, knowing from experience. SW7 will have same treatment as other rides! :)

Alton remain very clever with their marketing of this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_oQUtnCQAE7pGD.jpg:large

This was posted on their Twitter for the usual hashtag 'getcorrected'. I like the background they've got there - the glimpse of the Ministry of Joy logo and the dark board thing they've got going.. :P

They're really giving away as little as possible, which I'm pleased with - it's what enthusiasts have always wanted!

(For some reason, I'm not allowed to post that image extension :S )

Although slightly off topic I remember thorpe fright nights this year when the Saw Alive queue was the same as the fast track queue. One of the most frustrating things I've seen. Both queues were frustrated and no one won. I think for SW7 if they're gonna do a limited number at £5 would suffice. If people really want to ride it that quick they should be able to but at least limit numbers severely and make the cost high to justify the queue jump!

^ You went on a new ride 15 times in one season. IMO that's exceptional, so why moan?

This is one of the biggest projects that AT have ever pulled off, so of course SW7 will see long queues in its opening year. No one's forcing you to ride it.

Yes but when I went to Thorpe nearly 30 times that's only around every other visit.

I won't queue for more than an hour for any ride no matter how good and I won't buy fast tracks, I'd rather cut my losses and go home when:

• they have let too many people into the park
  • got too many rides out of action
  • too many rides running on one train.

An out of all those rides, never did I experience the fireball, and most of the time many of the effects were not working. I hope Alton do a lot better with SW7 this year, but the project looks very far behind, I seriously hope they are able to open on time.

Alton remain very clever with their marketing of this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_oQUtnCQAE7pGD.jpg:large

This was posted on their Twitter for the usual hashtag 'getcorrected'. I like the background they've got there - the glimpse of the Ministry of Joy logo and the dark board thing they've got going.. :P

They're really giving away as little as possible, which I'm pleased with - it's what enthusiasts have always wanted!

(For some reason, I'm not allowed to post that image extension :S )

Hopefully this is the start of many little hints etc, can't wait to see what they do with it... Also is it just me or has the yellow changed to green on the faces?