The Smiler

th13teen

It seems that along with the countdown all mentions of SW7 opening at the start of the season, or even in March, have now been removed from the Alton Towers website. I'm hoping they really take their time with it now, no half arsed rush job with the finishing and maybe some nice soft openings to get it just right.

It happens one time with Terry and it seems Towers (and Merlin) do it all the time...

It's just unfortunate... Since I can't go opening weekend now my care levels have dropped dramatically... But I do hope they pull it out the bag, if only to troll the "told you so" people just waiting for it to fail because MERLIN!

At least we're not getting a bloody Volare guys!

DOUBLE POST!

But, news from TowersStreet!

TowersStreet are of the belief that recent employee newsletters at the Alton Towers Resort have revealed extremely exciting developments set to begin very shortly in X Sector, alongside the opening of the resort’s new rollercoaster – SW7.

In the next few days, a full track repaint will begin on Oblivion, something which many members of the enthusiast community have been longing for for a good few years; the task of painting the ride will be a 6 week job. It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other, and that a higher quality paint will be used in order to give the colour more durability. In addition, other elements of the ride including the shuttles, harnesses, and buildings – all of which are in need of some attention – are thought to being improved over the closed season.

On top of this, it is believed that plans are in the process of being confirmed for a spruce-up of the general X Sector area, in order to make it look impressive as the home of a new attraction. The area’s dated toilet blocks, over which SW7 will pass, are thought to be marked for a revamp.

The other significant piece of news which TowersStreet are delighted to announce is that the Resort’s popular new scare maze, The Sanctuary, will be returning for the start of the 2013 season. Believed to have a plot strongly linked to SW7′s, the attractions should work well side-by-side, as well as the maze acting as a promotion for the ride in the event of its delayed opening. It is currently unknown for how many weeks the maze will run.

TowersStreet are extremely excited at this news, and look forward to bringing you the latest updates on our dedicated SW7 minisite. Meanwhile, discuss these developments over on our lively TowersStreet Talk forums!

Heinz - http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/x-sector-due-for-makeover-and-sanctuary-to-return/

BLIVVY REPAINT! THE WORLD IS GOING MAD! MERLIN DON'T REFURB RIDES!

The Sanctuary, will be returning for the start of the 2013 season.

I suspected it had been left there just in case SW7 wasn't ready on time, good call for a replacement attraction. I'm guessing it'll close as soon as SW7 is open though, which is fair enough.

And the repaint? Wow. I hope they do a good job on the station too including re-emphasising the videos, bring it back to the overall experience it once was. Exciting stuff

^Colossus before Inferno please? ;)

Great news to hear that we're getting what we wanted with Oblivion. A spruce up is what it has needed for a while now.

Also great to hear about The Sanctuary as well - I absolutely loved it, and it's a great move opening it for a short period of time, as it sustains the build up and story of the ride. I wouldn't like it to stay for too long though, simply because it is a Scarefest attraction, and I'd much rather see money put elsewhere than running a maze for a long period of time.

I assume the budget of the Oblivion spruce up will be separate from SW7's budget as well then?

TST member Stevie recently posted these quotes from AT's staff newsletter; 'The Pulse':

Mod's note: Please be aware this information may give away some of the surprises of the SW7 attraction.

We've also got loads more plans in the pipeline to enhance the appearance of the ride, including the shuttles themselves and the harnesses, which will hopefully be confirmed shortly
SW7 Promotion Set to Heat Up
With the 2013 season beckoning, next week will mark a huge milestone for our Marketing team, as SW7 promotion is set to hit a new high! As ever, the finer details will be under wraps until the activity is revealed, but let's just say you could be seeing an awful lot of our enigmatic symbol over the next few weeks, in places you'd never expect...

"From the greatest response we've had to the symbol and the initial information we released to the media about SW7, it's clear to see that the nation is just excited about the ride, as we are" says PR Manager, Liz West. "Activity at this stage is a great way of building pre-awarness, which we had great success with for TH13TEEN, with over 90% of guests knowing about the ride before they visit - and we're hoping to get the figure even higher this time. We've really had fun coming up with unique ways to get the message out - this is just the start of what's in store!"

Sounds great! :D

EDIT: I assumed that this was okay to post seeinghow it had been posted earlier on TST with no issues. If it would be better to remove it or something, do say and I can delete the post. :)

Seems stupid to risk your job just so you can post that... it's hardly even mindblowing news; 'we're going to try and make our new ride look good and start advertising it more'. Wow. As Peter pointed out in the shoutbox, it also affects what the staff get told in the future. Silly.