Canada Creek Railway: The Bear Hunt

Mark9

• 9 months later...

Had quite an interesting chat with a member of staff on the science week display last week, they seemed to have been well prepped about the things their displays covered.

I asked about the train and without being prompted by me that I'd heard it may have been returning she told me the trains are still there (which we know), they are in perfect working order and could roll out tomorrow (which I don't know if we knew), that they very much did intend to reopen the attraction towards the end of last season (which was rumoured but unconfirmed) and that the reason it didn't happen was that they 'couldn't get the funding to repair the track' (which I'd certainly never heard before).

This doesn't make sense to me, as the short track was re done in it entirety only when Saw opened, surely it couldn't need work already? Got me thinking that maybe they were considering bringing back the extended track to some extent? I asked the staff member if it could mean that but she didn't know what was meant by track repairs or if it meant it could be the extended track, but guessed that now Blair Witch has gone on it that could have caused some damage to make it safe to walk on. But also said the decision not to open it was made before Blair Witch, so that wouldn't have been the original reason for repairs being required.

Intriguing stuff. Sadly she had no idea if funding was likely to be found for it to come back soon or ever.

Am I right in thinking that a cherry picker drove over part of the track between Saw and Loggers Leap (to access Saw)? If so, I imagine have a cherry picker drive over the track unceremoniously could do some damage.

It's also possible some damage was caused when they were removing the Loggers tunnel; they could have driven across part of the track to access the tunnel to bring in tools / take away the tunnel.

It's a shame that they haven't reopened it. However, I guess that what we have to remember is, it's just a five minute train loop at the moment. There's probably better things they can fund for families at the moment then that. I guess the positive to take from that is they were looking to reopen it! One day, hopefully...

I just can't ever see them going back to it. Whilst I think that it would be great to ride a train across from Loggers to perhaps Treasure Island - if the new coaster does end up there.

I just can't see them laying new track or anything else to do with it. Knowing Merlin, they'll sell the trains to make a bit of spare cash to put towards what they need for the backstage tour stuff..

I asked about the train and without being prompted by me that I'd heard it may have been returning she told me the trains are still there (which we know), they are in perfect working order and could roll out tomorrow (which I don't know if we knew), that they very much did intend to reopen the attraction towards the end of last season (which was rumoured but unconfirmed) and that the reason it didn't happen was that they 'couldn't get the funding to repair the track' (which I'd certainly never heard before).

Yeah in the years of thorpe being all "destroy everything not thrills" they literally didn't care to think that they might re-use the train. The track has been damaged beyond repair, which is why everything went quiet after their rumours of almost instantly opening it.

They wanted it open, they really really wanted it to re-open. Dunno if it's still in the forefront of their minds though, as I imagine the expenditure would put them off.

Interesting to hear the trains are supposedly in fully working condition though. You need to move them to make sure they're fine, unless they roll them out to the station and back every now and then?

Worth saying that some of the track between Saw and Loggers has been dismantled and some new gravel has been laid down. Definitely didn't notice that last weekend, so must be a very recent development.

Could mean they're thinking about replacing track, or just finally getting rid of the poor thing. Who knows...

It was indeed ment to open for fright nights as a family ghost train the trains are In working convictions as the maintance team work really hard to get them working again as some motets were scied shut (sorry can not spell that word) but the could not get the funds for the repair of the track as most of the last engerneerning budget was being pump into slammer ready for its winter work

• 1 month later...

Yer they allways been there because before they got the contract with lionsgate they were planning on re opning the train as a ghost train they been working on the trains all year getting it ready then they found out that the track needed a massive repairs on the area they dug up to remove and decided they did not want to spend the money on the track it was gonna be a lot and I think they used it for slammer insted.

I do hope we see the track repaired and the trains running again in the near future. Judging from the SP photos, all the trains are still there and look in relatively good condition (although one looks like it could have a slight repaint).

Whilst they're at it, I'd like to see Loggers refreshed too, rebuilt tunnel, repainted and touched up station plus general TLC to the ride overall.

TBH I wished they'd spent that money on the railway rather than slammer as at least its a ride that can a tusk my work and is pretty reliable (the railway that is).

You never know ... they may just use the plans from last year this year and spend money on it this year. I think it would be great to add it back, and anything would be better than the Blair witch. Although I would love this to return, I'd prefer them to get Slammer up and running again... because... well... it's Slammer ;)

Found this on YouTube today, skip to 10:12 and I think you'll all like what's still here!

SouthParks Event l Thorpe Park l Including Behind The Scenes Saw, Angry Birds l Vlog 2014

I guess this explains the green tent I saw when I walked past thorpe on the Monk's walk. TBH I thought it was a new small construction site or a storage tent. lel

wonder why they kept them I think maybe a re boot?

Either that or to use them as models (like AT's Corkscrew) or sell them off.

Pretty sure they were all set to open last year, until they realised they'd destroyed the track by using the genie on it (and that section has now been removed).

Once they've replaced that bit they'll all be good to go.. as long as they haven't seized the engines.

• 2 weeks later...