The Swarm

JoshC.

My biggest problem with the backwards idea when we fist heard about it was how it could be successfully implemented and run, and it seems that it can't. I think the whole thing is much more trouble than it is worth, but if it isn't going anywhere then I agree it should simply split in the station like front row queues do. Would be much simpler.

As for the baggage, it can work with a couple of changes. The queue merge person needs to manage it and let through a constant steady trickle rather than huge gluts of people at once. On the exit they need to put in a small queue system to stop it being a bundle that blocks the way for everyone else trying to leave. It still amazes me they give us these manned baggage holds; they cost more to staff than many whole rides and they are missing out on a revenue stream from paid lockers at ride entrances. Considering how tight and money mad they are with some things it is crazy they do this really.

I think the double queue system could work if they made it work... The trouble is, as much as I hate to say it, the staff usually seem more interested in chatting amongst themselves, and just let the queues sort themselves out.

The second the staff member lets their eye off the ball it becomes a free-for-all!

You're never going to get staff to be on the ball 100% of the time, so the system needs to be made foolproof. They should definitely have split the station like they usually do with front row.

And Pluk, really?! Paid-for lockers at ride entrances is not something I'd like to see in the UK at all. Baggage drops are usually brilliant, but with Swarm they've really managed to screw it up.

They couldn't even get a front row queue to work properly, a back row one was never going to work...

Baggage drops are useful for the most part, but it just doesn't work with Swarm for SOME reason? Maybe it's because you get people coming from two different directions is my guess... It's quite easily the worst one in any park that has it which is weird...

Should've just done a Raptor and had bag boxes by the station exit... Simple, cheap and effective...

I Wonder how possible it would be for them to have small storage boxes with doors and just fold them over

This is pretty much what I had in mind. Surely it's just as secure as the cupboards they have on rides like Colossus and Inferno?

As for the queue system...whatever way I look at it, there's going to be issues. If you just have one single queue, then split forwards and backwards when people get into the station, it will create congestion and such. Also, people won't know how long the backwards and forwards queues are inside the station, and so will change their mind up until the last minute. The current system is okay really; not great though. The trouble I've found is that it has always had unreliable queue times - and I mean wildly unreliable, moreso than any other - and is always hit and miss with popularity. I can't think of any other way it could have worked though? So, whatever way they did / do it, it will never really be that good in my opinion.

What I think needs more sorting out is directing people to each side, or at least making access to the left-hand side of the train clearer. The amount of times, especially this season, I've seen the left hand side queue pretty much empty (particularly the backwards rows) is very surprising.

I imagine the fences would be to stop people accidentally standing in the ride area - same reason that vampire got awful extra fences in their already awful station layout.

I'd prefer a seperate queue at the station like a front row would work, if the queue is full people will naturally just fill the main station instead and try later. Means main queue can move smoother and everything will be more accurate and easier to run.

In my opinion one queue could never work as once near the front a high proportion of people are likely to opt for the back rows despite this section having a lower throughput. For this to work I think an equal number or front and back rows are needed. If this was considered next season maybe the situation could improve! One fast track for both options also seems sensible.

It seems that Brave it Backwards is actually amazing, let me explain. The main queue was around 2 hours most of the day but at around 1pm BiB was empty meaning you could queue up there, hide your ticket (which they weren't even giving out or asking for) and go forwards in 10 minutes. Result! Fastrack was once again heaving at The Swarm (where as Stealth had hardly any and only a 60 minute queue, could this possible be a link! ;) ) The only issue is how quick the BiB queue grows again to something stupid like 100 minutes.

A great snippet of a conversation I heard in the queue today which I though was worth sharing.

Person 1: Did you know this is all based on a plane crash?

Person 2: Why's it called Swarm then, it should be called Crash.

Person 1: They couldn't call it that as they have that by the entrance.

It seems that Brave it Backwards is actually amazing, let me explain. The main queue was around 2 hours most of the day but at around 1pm BiB was empty meaning you could queue up there, hide your ticket (which they weren't even giving out or asking for) and go forwards in 10 minutes. Result! Fastrack was once again heaving at The Swarm (where as Stealth had hardly any and only a 60 minute queue, could this possible be a link! ;) ) The only issue is how quick the BiB queue grows again to something stupid like 100 minutes.

A great snippet of a conversation I heard in the queue today which I though was worth sharing.

I love it

Fanboys are the quick to moan at parks at queue jumpers yet love to brag about queue jumping on forums... ;)

But seriously.. This is effectively queue jumping no better / worse than pushing past people in the queue so id strongly recommend against doing that :)

This is one of the funniest Conversations I have read Although I still have a soft spot from a Few years back visiting Towers and some one says lets go to UG land but instead of pronouncing it UG land they prounounced as the Letters sound:P

^That's a strange one, usually the back row queue is packed out, and due to poor batching is completely empty in the station...

Messy queue is messy...

At one point the station was empty and sending empty backwards rows with a 90 minute backward queue. It seems that when it's quiet, it works, but when it's busy it fails.

I love it

Fanboys are the quick to moan at parks at queue jumpers yet love to brag about queue jumping on forums... ;)

But seriously.. This is effectively queue jumping no better / worse than pushing past people in the queue so id strongly recommend against doing that :)

I know it's not great but it's a flaw with the system that should be looked at. Many people were realising that this could be done so were doing it (probably why the backwards queue is always so illogical in length). Many people used to take advantage of the old Fastrack system and did at the Disney parks by learning the secrets. Nothings perfect, maybe they could solve it by always having a batcher (or on days where there's a queue) in each side of the station and letting in backwards queue separately so they get put in the cattle pen in the station, then the forwards so the staff know who is meant to be going where. Or just put both queues together and let you decide in the station like a front row queue.

I know it's not great but it's a flaw with the system that should be looked at. Many people were realising that this could be done so were doing it (probably why the backwards queue is always so illogical in length). Many people used to take advantage of the old Fastrack system and did at the Disney parks by learning the secrets. Nothings perfect, maybe they could solve it by always having a batcher (or on days where there's a queue) in each side of the station and letting in backwards queue separately so they get put in the cattle pen in the station, then the forwards so the staff know who is meant to be going where. Or just put both queues together and let you decide in the station like a front row queue.

I do agree its a flaw, but IMO queue jumping is queue jumping no matter how its done ad I would recommend against it! I'm sure if caught people would be dealt with just as other queue jumpers are.

I second that.

I was there today

1) It was weird as we got on the back of the swarm without no ticket in 5mins via the backwards queue whilst the main queue was 2 hours.

2) I now have to be height checked for swarm.......... soon it will be no more

The merge host should be watching out for this - it's obvious that people will eventually do this to skip a queue.

However thorpe don't help themselves by installing this in the first place. Hopefully they'll eventually change it so there's a backwards queue system similar to that of a front row queue.

The merge host should be watching out for this - it's obvious that people will eventually do this to skip a queue.

However thorpe don't help themselves by installing this in the first place. Hopefully they'll eventually change it so there's a backwards queue system similar to that of a front row queue.

You mean the front row queue which didn't particularly work well either? ;)

You mean the front row queue which didn't particularly work well either? ;)

No, I mean a front row queue on a normal ride - they could've easily created a front row on both sides of the station albeit a bit squished. Having a front row queue positioned away from the actual station is just bonkers.

They don't run front row like that anymore, people simply wait for it like other coasters if they wish.

I would like to see how the back row queue would work if they just let people queue as normal then queue for back in the station. Maybe when it's not so much of a big deal agree this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Grey out will happen with sustained g's, not necessarily high g's, so I suppose it makes sense as Swarm has some quite drawn out manoeuvres. I don't come close to greying out on it though so am surprised if people really do as it should be quite a consistent thing amongst most people.

If you grey out on The Swarm I would strongly suggest you never ever get on Goliath at 6 flags magic mountain!

I think there's other factors which can affect grey outs. For example, if you're dehydrated, been riding rides for a long period of time, etc., so it could vary from person to person.

I've come close to a grey out on Swarm, but never actually had one. Only Saw and Inferno have given me grey outs - but both times it had happened, I had re-riden them a lot, and it was a hot day.