The Swarm

JoshC.

The thing with wingriders is their limitations on inversions I think. There's only so many barrel rolls and dive loops you can do before it gets a little bit samey.

You could say that about any ride to be fair...

Wild Eagle has a vertical loop... But without knowing what forces the ride would endure in say, a Batwing element or a Pretzel loop (both of which are quite high g inversions) it's difficult to say if a Wingrider would benefit from such elements...

It's actually a good thing if the ride is limited, as it should (theoretically) make parks have a good think about a layout to ensure that it flows well without any dead spots and use the system as well as they possibly can... Hence why I prefer Raptor over Swarm...

• 2 weeks later...

Swarm was the best ive seen it in a while today. Not because of how it was running but the fact they got rid of the backwards queue and made everyone queue together and make their choice in the station. The queue was moving much faster and and was generally more pleasant knowing people in a shorter queue were not changing their minds.

Swarm was the best ive seen it in a while today. Not because of how it was running but the fact they got rid of the backwards queue and made everyone queue together and make their choice in the station. The queue was moving much faster and and was generally more pleasant knowing people in a shorter queue were not changing their minds.

It seems like they're doing this permanently now, was exactly the same on Sunday.

B&M Wingriders are slow and boring I'm surprised they don't stall when someone sneezes [/alvey]

Yes but everyone knows that Alvey is a silly horrid mainstream american person.

Whilst at points he may be right, he can also be a complete arogant idiot without reason. The fact that he gets the attention he does makes me shiver.

It seems like they're doing this permanently now, was exactly the same on Sunday.

Wow. so they build 3 queues and end up only using 2 of them anyway. Hm.

Oh no I'm not. I just think it seems a bit of a waste to build a queue and only use it for one season. But then again, it's only metal mesh and concrete. not exactly expensive materials

I imagine they will change it next year if they decided to keep it like this. Make backwards the fast track and the fast track queue can go back to being part of the main queue.

I know this pops up a lot, so when speaking to an engineer yesterday on our tour of Swarm, I asked him who proposed the backwards rows. It was Thorpe who asked B&M how they'd go about doing it. They then worked together with B&M providing four new chassis's for the backwards rows. They were originally discussing the possibility of making alternate rows backwards and forwards (so one back, one forward, one back...) and one train being backwards and the other being forwards. But due to the logistics of the queue, this was the better option. They still have the four forward chassis's as spares or if they ever want to turn it around again, but this isn't an idea at the moment as backwards is still proving popular.

And when an effect isn't working because it's broken, the engineers do know and they do aim to fix it but sometimes this isn't possible as their job is to get the ride operational for guests. Effects are a side job when there's time and sometimes budget. If there are problems in the morning with one of the cars or even a CCTV camera (any of the ones that face track have to work for the ride to open as they are deemed critical) they won't have the time to fix the effects and as they're in the ride area, they can't fix them during the day.

They are also aware that the entrance sign is beginning to peel off due to the UV light and they want to replace it, but once again the money isn't there and they can't justify spending so much on it (can't remember how much we were told it would be but it was a lot!)

I think the back rows were a good idea, if you don't like them then there is nothing making you go backwards which is why I like it because you have the option of both.

I've said it 100 times already, but I used to really enjoy the ride in the back rows (forwards). Also, the queue system is a mess.

I've said it 100 times already, but I used to really enjoy the ride in the back rows (forwards). Also, the queue system is a mess.

Over the holidays they haven't been using the backwards que, you just que in the normal que and then decide if you want to go backwards or not in the station. Not sure if this is permanent or if they are just trialing it at the moment. Works a lot better in my opinion.

Unfortunately on Sunday swarm went back to multiple queues. It was stupid forward had a 20 minute queue while backwards was going round empty.

That's a shame, they must of been either trialing it or they ran out of tickets from people misusing the que, keeping there ticket and going on it forwards.

That's a shame, they must of been either trialing it or they ran out of tickets from people misusing the que, keeping there ticket and going on it forwards.

Ticket? they haven't used tickets in about a year. People misuse the queue all the time. It seems to be pick the shortest queue out of the 2 and choose in the station.

Ticket? they haven't used tickets in about a year. People misuse the queue all the time. It seems to be pick the shortest queue out of the 2 and choose in the station.

Haha fair enough. Never qued for backwards row this season so didn't know this. I just assumed that the backwards ticket people used to be given at the baggage area people used to hide and then just go forwards.

Haha fair enough. Never qued for backwards row this season so didn't know this. I just assumed that the backwards ticket people used to be given at the baggage area people used to hide and then just go forwards.

Clearly at some point they got rid of them which meant that people queueing can go where ever irrelevant of where they queued. For example on sunday backwards was walk on and forwards was 20 mins so people walked down the backwards queue and jumped on going forwards.