The Swarm

JoshC.

I had all the effects too!

If swarm breaks down, the ride is not fully restarted and the fire effect is shut off or something like that. Because of this, when the ride is back in operation, because the ride is not fully restarted, the fire is not restarted and can only be restarted the next day...

New for 2014: separate buttons so that the effects can be restarted during the day...

I had all the effects too!

If swarm breaks down, the ride is not fully restarted and the fire effect is shut off or something like that. Because of this, when the ride is back in operation, because the ride is not fully restarted, the fire is not restarted and can only be restarted the next day...

Yeahhh sorry that's not true :P

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone else think that the theming of The Swarm could have been a lot better?

I know it is really good (and much better than most other coasters in the country) but seeing photos of Raptor and now the new one in Heide Park look a lot "fuller" (for want of a better word).

I'm not sure why, but there seems to be something missing from The Swarm's theming.

Raptor doesn't have actually much in the way of theming beyond the tonnes of concrete and the near misses...

It however uses the landscape really well and it feels like it belongs into it's own little area/plaza, hence to me it feels like a more complete ride than Swarm...

Swarm also isn't helped by the mass of nothingness by the brake-run, the spread-out nature in comparison to Raptor (which after the turnaround sticks to quite a limited footprint) as well is an issue to make it feel completely themed...

It also feels rather rag-tag with what's there...

Raptor doesn't have actually much in the way of theming beyond the tonnes of concrete and the near misses...

It however uses the landscape really well and it feels like it belongs into it's own little area/plaza, hence to me it feels like a more complete ride than Swarm...

The near misses on Raptor look much better than those on The Swarm though - a higher theming level and more of them (three on the last inversion!)

I think that The Swarm lacks some of the "small touches" that make theming complete, and landscaping (doesn't really have any, unless the ponds count).

Still a well themed coaster for the UK though!

the swarm is built on an island with no landscaping and not built under ground level, so it's hard to create as immersive themeing as the other merlin wing riders... although it does seem there is a lot more effort being out into the other ones abroad!

Agreed!

I also think that the queueline for The Swarm lacks any sort of atmosphere. The TV's don't really do much for me (more annoying than tension building) and it is a simple cattle pen without much theming other than what can be seen around the ride.

The sound effect in the tower doesn't even work anymore... :angry:

Also on another note, I'm sure the coaster has a good roar here

However it seems as if it was silenced.

Agreed!

I also think that the queueline for The Swarm lacks any sort of atmosphere. The TV's don't really do much for me (more annoying than tension building) and it is a simple cattle pen without much theming other than what can be seen around the ride.

The sound effect in the tower doesn't even work anymore... :angry:

I've only really queued when I went on it the first time last year in easter holidays, so didn't mind the annoying TV screens as it was all new for me... but barely queued for it since then, and half the time the TV's aren't working properly anyway...

but yeah haven't heard the sound effect working this year at all... really added to the overall experience of the ride in my opinion whether it be actually on the ride, or in the queue!

The cattlepens on Raptor just rely on the ride visuals (although have some interaction with one of the splashdowns)...

I think a lack of atmosphere for Swarm is more than Thorpe tends to lack one in general though for the majority of visits... Probably the last time I felt there was an atmosphere at Thorpe was during a Fireworks night...

I love the idea of the Swarm's theme! Alien invasion, crashed plane and helicopter, near miss with a smoking wing, fireball explosions, the whole thing based on a panicked evacuation.... Sounds bloody awesome. And can you remember the buildup to opening? Crazy alien dude predicting the end, viral videos of the start of the attack... God the potential was unbelievable!

The trouble is, a lot of it is totally wasted... Nobody 'gets' what the hell is supposed to be happening... It's just "that ride that has the plane crashed and that". A lot of it just too half-arsed to be noticed.

I think the station building is absolutely amazing, but ruined by the lack of a roof! The atmosphere could have been amazing in there if it was enclose and made fairly dark.

Same goes for the helicopter - it's fantastic that it's there, but it's 'plonked' in the middle of nowhere where nobody can see it. Therefore, again, wasted.

The queue doesn't help with the atmosphere either. Cattle pen nightmare!

That said, I do love the Swarm. Definitely one of the most badass themes going, and I actually love the ride its self. The music is fantastic as well!

In my opinion the Swarm theming (along with the ride - dont get me started on that) is pretty average!!! Although the theming works the lack of any indoor section or station means that ride lacks the ability to set the scene. You never really leave the theme park and enter the Swarms world perse! The queueline lacks atmosphere and the best effects are all missed as they're based around the ride area and not the queue. Short ride, average theming, grumble grumble grumble :s

What a difference a couple of years makes. I remember when Swarm opened and it was met with raving reviews, of which the only negatives were it was a little short and a white tent ruined the feel of the place.

Swarm's theming goes for quite an ironic sense I find. We have these flying alien creatures attacking us, so we have a destroyed aeroplane (a flying transport system) as well as two fire engines, ambulance, police van and a coast guard helicopter (emergency services) scattered around. The usage of a news reporter van (which is brilliantly tied in with the queue line videos, which are nicely done, in my opinion) and a lorry which could presumably transport supplies adds to it all so well.

I know some argue the billboard is out of place being next to a church, but when you consider Swarm is set AT Thorpe Park itself, the church seems out of place then. I get why people would want a roof for the station, but I feel that had it had a roof, it would have felt like the church was too much of a safe haven. It's meant to show (at least, how I understand it) that a church, a religious symbol for safety, is no longer safe - The Swarm is everywhere, and we are under attack. I think having a partial roof covering the left hand side of the station, and the right hand side looking like it had been torn off near where the inline twist is could have been more effective, but we have what we have.

The weak spots in my eyes are the lack of anything near the finale (which I hope to the high heavens gets sorted out when the island adjacent to Swarm opens up) and the fact you can't really interact with the helicopter. Hopefully when the new island opens up, you will see it a lot more as you have to walk relatively close to it I think, but it's a shame the originally planned rickety jetty was axed from the plans so soon.

So yeah, it's no surprise I have a soft spot for Swarm, but I genuinely think that it's an incredible ride. The trouble is, it;s hard for Thorpe to create a 'full' ride due to the fact they literally start from the ground up. They can't take advantage of much landscaping unless they use the lake due to being so flat. So considering what they had to the do and the budget they had, I think it's pretty damn good.

Swarms a good ride with some decent theming in places, however the problem with the ride is that it's too short and needs a slightly longer circuit as I find the brakes helix ending on the ride quite anticlimactic to the rest of the experience unlike most of the other coasters which I feel obtain an appropriate ending.

I think the limited landscape they have had, they've done a pretty good job blending it in the area, that being said, the queue has no atmosphere and feels boring and should of at some point gone through an indoor section with some interactive elements e.g Saw and Thirteen then the experience would be a more impressive experience.

I rarely pay attention to the queue videos and I don't find much wrong with them although they don't really build up to the experience.

Still one of the better coasters at the park IMO.

• 3 months later...

Swarm was a bit of a mare today...

Opened late (about 12ish, so not that late, but the latest I've ever seen it open...), no water effects, no fire effects, no audio effects, no audio in the area or station area at all. Nothing. Literally just the ride there, which is a real shame; like the ride was there in body, but not in spirit if you will. Hope it's sorted out ASAP!

On a more positive note, operations were fab on the ride, with staff bashing through the trains and sending them out as soon as physically possible it seemed!

I believe Swarms water uses chlorine to keep it clean, so its possible that at the start of the season they need to adjust the levels to make sure its right before using it and potentially getting people wet?

As for the water effect near the fire engine it seems like this one has been changed as to not cover the fire engine, That was done at the end of last season.