Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

I recon its the direction they are going in, because if scaretour's fb page said that which theme park is hosting a new event ( roughly the quote) then it makes sense, as well as the actors recruitment page ( which I actually applyed to be an actor this year) saying all new mazes, keeping saw alive. It almost has to be surly a horror movie event fright night thing, basically HHN : UK !

I wouldn't mind another IP based maze to add to the line up, if it's done appropriately, but but having all mazes based on horror films is a bit risky.

You could risk alienation of the audience, or becoming too repetitive with themes. It's something that needs to be handled very carefully and marketed for a good, long while before the event.

Not saying it can't / shouldn't be done, but it may backfire. Personally, I'd like to see a maximum of 2 IPs, and the rest to be original ideas.

the problem is, I know the event isn't really made for younger ones, but since their change in marketing(family), this event will scare off their "Potential market", and with big scary film names such as Saw, and Dead silence, (I also saw someone mention human centipede ;) ), parents will not want to let their children come- Possibly

your thoughts?

I personally would like to see a maze which maybe features around the swarm wreckage/story line, but thats just me(lol, just felt like that match.com advert)

I doubt it, I can't imagine Thorpe going to Chessie levels of family park times, but more akin to Towers...

If Towers can be a family park and have a few scare mazes, then Thorpe can as well... Though it will need to improve on other offerings for younger visitors if this is to happen...

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/hollywood/2013/teaser/

Just wanted to make the comparison, If you look through the images on the page using the arrows u will see one of the quotes is 'from the sickest minds in horror'

Now look at thorpe's events page under fright night: http://www.thorpepark.com/plan-your-visit/events.aspx#frightnights

'From the best minds in horror'.

Very similour don't you think ?

'IP's ' What does that mean ?

It means Intellectual Property. So basically ideas, concepts or products created by external companies, like Lionsgate Films (SAW) or Dr. Pepper (Tidal Wave), that are contracted to a client wishing to use those ideas/products. SAW and SAW: Alive are IP's, because they use the SAW films. Similarly, Tetley Tea is an IP of Storm in a Teacup. IP's are not original ideas.

I can safely say a Slenderman maze IMO would freak the bejesus out of any one lol.

A few people have said Slenderman, but how could they do it in reality? The thing about Slenderman is it is all long suspense and the feeling of being alone, Slenderman with a group of others chatting and messing about is not in the least bit scary. I'm not sure how that could be achieved with a throughput greater than about 2 per hour!

Whilst I don't disagree it would need small groups for a Slender maze to work, it could be pulled off.

I played the Slender game a few months back for the first time, with 5 other people in the room. It was dark outside, and all the lights in the room turned off. At first, we all started playing on our separate laptops, and gradually just moved down to having one and all crowded round watching. All the time, there was a tense atmosphere and every little thing made us jump. It was actually great fun.

I think if you were to make a Slender maze a charged attraction, and restrict it to groups of 8 (maximum), you would get people who would be in the 'right' frame of mind to play along with the attraction, so keep quiet and such, whilst still allow for maximum scares. It could be pulled off quite well with a 'tour guide' who has become crazy due to seeing Slenderman so often, so every time someone talks / larks about, he could become very agitated and scary in themselves, and then Slenderman himself and do what he does best.

It wouldn't be easy to pull off, and is probably a bit too idealistic to pull off in reality, but I certainly think it is achievable.

Just came to post about that! :P

In the article they posted, they mention about a 'ghost walk' attraction that the park held in 2005:

A few lucky passholders were also able to experience a small intimate ghost tour along the dark railway tracks along the famously haunted Monk’s Walk. An actor dressed as a monk retold stories of some of the ghostly events that have happened at the park, but due to the lights and noise of nearby rides and the regular police patrols stopping youths from jumping over the fence for free, it was quite difficult to follow what was going on. We kept expecting a real scare along the way but alas, nothing happened!

Think this was the thing I read about ages ago and mentioned earlier in the thread. Certainly not a full blown attraction then, but it was something. XD

I really love this concept. We have some really creative people on this site. Sids, you've clearly spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into your ideas. I'd love to see Thorpe use the Railway space at Halloween- that area of the park has a real sense of isolation to it which is just screaming out to be used.

If they could find a way to please Health and Safety (low lighting and uneven pathways) and still retain the darkness needed for this kind of attraction it would be fantastic and certainly unique.

why dont you post that idea and plan of the slender maze to thorpe in the questions to thorpe park section of the fourm. I'm sure it will be to late for this years fright night, but you never know in the upcoming years they could at least use it or take inspiration from it coz its a great idea and somthing that would set FN's apart from other halloween events around the country !

Giving guests torches can make an actors life very difficult. Rather than being able to time scares or even having full control of effects, they have to react to the guests' random movements. In this case, there's the risk Slenderman won't 'disappear' if a torch can follow them.

This. I think it's a neat idea though! Also, you'd always get idiots that would walk towards Slender actors and follow them. And because unlike a maze, the woods isn't a controlled environment and many guests might not see the incentive to move on through the attraction.

As with the torches, many people might throw them if they are scared, or even use them as a weapon if the actor takes them by surprise. It may sound stupid but it can easily happen!

One last thing, I don't really think many people would find it scary? Especially as they are in a group with friends. I could only see people being genuinely terrified if they were alone, but then the throughput would be so awful there would be no point in running the maze in the first place.

I think it's actually a really good idea though! I thought the camp site and the bridge were neat ideas, but I think it needs some tweaking here and there! :)

Giving guests torches can make an actors life very difficult. Rather than being able to time scares or even having full control of effects, they have to react to the guests' random movements. In this case, there's the risk Slenderman won't 'disappear' if a torch can follow them.

Which is why the torches are extremely low power and will die half way through the maze. ;) The Slendermen before number 6 won't actually move toward the guests. They'll just be positioned in the thick woodland.

And those saying it won't be scary clearly haven't paid attention to how isolated and quiet that island is. Or walked down Monk's Walk in the dark. ;) With all those trees blocking the sound from Thorpe and any residual light, I reckon it could be very scary.

And those saying it won't be scary clearly haven't paid attention to how isolated and quiet that island is. Or walked down Monk's Walk in the dark. ;) With all those trees blocking the sound from Thorpe and any residual light, I reckon it could be very scary.

All I'm saying is that unless you were alone, it's wouldn't be particularly scary!

I sir, strongly disagree with you! If an ip is done right, it can be amazing! Take HHN for instance, nearly all of their mazes are ips and have you seen the ratings they get!

Am I the only one who thought Saw Alive was done amazingly? The only thing it lacks is actor enthusiasm!

Fright Nights 2013 needs advertising! Make it known that it will be scary! Blip adverts of 'its coming' with a freaky face or focus the advert on a single person getting attacked by an actor from each maze!

There are soo many things thorpe can do! I wouldnt be suprised if they done scare rooms and also maybe some more family attractions like the Vampire maze?