Submission

EC!

After having a decent amount of money thrown at it last year this can't be a planned move, it must have failed something terminally during closed season works.

For me it is a shame, I didn't love it but didn't find it that bad - I've been working on growing my own padding for many years for such circumstances. Totally understand people not caring though, it's probably the big ride that would be missed least. Biggest problem is how it'll look being either a big rusting sculpture or hole in what is currently their flagship adult area.

I agree, I would be highly surprised if this was a planned event. No matter what ride it is, Merlin would usually announce ride removals at the beginning of their last season of operation or at least allow for time for people to have their last rides by making people aware mid-season. Saying that a ride will not be returning midway through a closed season just screams huge unexpected maintenance headache and "were washing our hands with this heap".

After having a decent amount of money thrown at it last year this can't be a planned move, it must have failed something terminally during closed season works.

For me it is a shame, I didn't love it but didn't find it that bad - I've been working on growing my own padding for many years for such circumstances. Totally understand people not caring though, it's probably the big ride that would be missed least. Biggest problem is how it'll look being either a big rusting sculpture or hole in what is currently their flagship adult area.

Same here! It was always one of those rides I could take or leave TBH. I never found it excruciatingly painful (Compared to the likes of G Force), but I wouldn't rush to queue for it, either. On the bright side, I guess we still have three rides in a major area, two of which are the park's top class coasters/attractions.

The legend goes that on an autumn night there was a old woman begging for a coin. The Earl cruelly dismissed her, so the old woman placed a curse on him.

The old woman said, "For every branch on the Old Oak Tree here that falls, a ride at the Alton Towers Resort will die." The Earl dismissed this and carried on his way.

The same night a violent storm caused a single branch from the old oak tree to break and fall. Later that same night, a ride called Submission at the Alton Towers Resort suddenly and mysteriously died.

• 3 weeks later...

I disliked Submission A LOT, but IMO this just makes Alton's flat ride line up incredibly low. Yes, their coasters are world class, but you need something else to help ease the queues and vary your experiences at the park. I mean, Thorpe Park have Rush, Vortex, Samurai, Slammer, Quantum, Zodiac and Detonator, which is more than double Alton's current line up of Blade, Ripsaw and Enterprise. The queues for some of Alton's coasters- especially Rita and The Smiler- can get insane, I feel like more thrilling flat rides would detract from this. I know they're a family park and all and have an amazing family offering, but still :/ Maybe removing Submission was a bad move :/

I disliked Submission A LOT, but IMO this just makes Alton's flat ride line up incredibly low. Yes, their coasters are world class, but you need something else to help ease the queues and vary your experiences at the park. I mean, Thorpe Park have Rush, Vortex, Samurai, Slammer, Quantum, Zodiac and Detonator, which is more than double Alton's current line up of Blade, Ripsaw and Enterprise. The queues for some of Alton's coasters- especially Rita and The Smiler- can get insane, I feel like more thrilling flat rides would detract from this. I know they're a family park and all and have an amazing family offering, but still :/ Maybe removing Submission was a bad move :/

Although I liked Submission, I totally agree with your points made about the lack of flat rides. If AT were to get some more flat rides which were thrilling it would hopefully help ease queues of the coasters. The coasters at Towers are brilliant, and my only criticism of the place is the lack of flat rides and, (only because I am lazy) - the size of the place/time to walk to different areas :lol:

Let's not forget Towers also has a few dark rides which are good throughput machines (particularly Duel and Hex), which to a degree can make up for the lack of flats...

Also, Twirling Toadstool exists, and the Teacups, and Heave Ho... Which takes the flat ride offering to 6, which isn't that bad...

Could do with something back in Dark Forest mind, and they'll probably replace Submission next year (we hope) with something... But it's hard to judge whether Merlin would actually go for a flat ride because of their obsessive USP ideals...

I find the obsession with flat rides fascinating. How many go to Thorpe because they are desperate for a ride on Samurai for example. The only flat ride that I have ever seen maintain its popularity is Rush, everything else from Blade to Rameses, Rodeo (RIP) to Detonator always has minimal queues. It's good for ride counts but not good if a flat rides purpose is to divert queues away from the rollercoasters.

And then there is the question of what flat ride would be significant, with a high enough throughput and impressive enough to cope with Alton Towers business, especially when its next to Oblivion and the Smiler.

Let's not forget Towers also has a few dark rides which are good throughput machines (particularly Duel and Hex), which to a degree can make up for the lack of flats...

Also, Twirling Toadstool exists, and the Teacups, and Heave Ho... Which takes the flat ride offering to 6, which isn't that bad...

Could do with something back in Dark Forest mind, and they'll probably replace Submission next year (we hope) with something... But it's hard to judge whether Merlin would actually go for a flat ride because of their obsessive USP ideals...

Obviously can't forget all those =D but as I said before, I just feel that they are in need of just one more thrilling flat ride, something specifically for the thrill seekers that would be riding the major coasters.

I find the obsession with flat rides fascinating. How many go to Thorpe because they are desperate for a ride on Samurai for example.

It really does depend on the person with this: yes, flat rides are obviously not as popular as coasters but having a good number of them still helps with queue time when added together. I personally think they really add to the experience of a theme park, I don't just go for the coasters, in fact, Detonator is one of the things at Thorpe I look forward to most... I get that that's a little crazy, but there must be others like me out there =P

<--- Detty fan as you know :wub:

Been said before, but in my opinion you'll struggle to find a drop tower that packs such a punch from such a - comparatively - small height compared to some towers. Love it.

Back on subject though - I've never ridden Submission - that may be for the best by the sounds of things.

• 1 month later...

I find the obsession with flat rides fascinating. How many go to Thorpe because they are desperate for a ride on Samurai for example. The only flat ride that I have ever seen maintain its popularity is Rush, everything else from Blade to Rameses, Rodeo (RIP) to Detonator always has minimal queues. It's good for ride counts but not good if a flat rides purpose is to divert queues away from the rollercoasters.

And then there is the question of what flat ride would be significant, with a high enough throughput and impressive enough to cope with Alton Towers business, especially when its next to Oblivion and the Smiler.

I don't think it's a flat ride alone that solves queue issues - but a good profile of them across a park can take some pressure off the roller coasters - it also puts people in a better mood if they can break up the longer queues with big rides with shorter queues for smaller ones (I think people would be miserable if every ride in the park had a 60 minute queue, so having things like Detonator for a quick ride or two breaks up queuing).

Plus, I'm not sure that anyone visits most parks in the world because they're 'desperate' to go on a particular ride, it's all about the selection. Disney/Uni don't need flat rides because they can offer a selection without them, but if we took away smaller rides and only kept rides that people were desperate to go on, Thorpe would be left with about 5 rides

Finally, for the sake of visual kineticism, I'm glad that parks have flat rides. It's much more interesting when you're in a theme park and there's rides moving around and lots going on. You could strip back every area to its headliner rides, but I think the park in general would suffer. Disney used to 'get' it, and included loads of transportation systems and 'nothing' rides (like Swan Boats), because they are invaluable to the image of the park. If everything is hidden away in show buildings the parks are less pleasant to walk around (Universal Studios has never been as interesting to me as somewhere like Islands of Adventure).

I think part of the reason Rush is busier at Thorpe is it is a more accessible ride, it doesn't go upside down, it doesn't spin and it looks predictable. I don't like Samurai much, Slammer can just be uncomfortable, Vortex can be vomity but Rush is always just fun.

I think this is a similar reason to why Submission was never popular, it wasn't comfortable and didn't do much exciting, Enterprise is more popular becuase is looks more interesting and you know exactly what the ride experience will be.