Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather this ride not be an IP at all, and for it to be its own story that Merlin makes.

I agree...but remember that it is very hard to market a dark ride which has a new theme. John Wardley describes it as being able to "get people through the hole in the wall"...and to do that, the theme needs to either be promising or even recognisable, hence why dark rides with IPs are a lot easier to market. :)

Remember how that Mushroom cloud had absolutely nothing to do with nuclear war, a bomb being dropped, or having any relation at all to extra terrestrials.

Or remember how those silver helixes turned out to have literally no link whatsoever to The Smiler's final theme...

Merlin's first bout of advertising is never usually quite so literal. I think we should think more outside the box in all honesty.

Remember how that Mushroom cloud had absolutely nothing to do with nuclear war, a bomb being dropped, or having any relation at all to extra terrestrials.

Or remember how those silver helixes turned out to have literally no link whatsoever to The Smiler's final theme...

Merlin's first bout of advertising is never usually quite so literal. I think we should think more outside the box in all honesty.

Swarm - Alien Attack/End of World theme

Smiler - Being Corrected (altering body and mind)

These advertising campaigns aren't exactly too far off the finished products...

Agree with Benin that whilst they may not give the exact theme (then again, why would they want to?), they give the generic feel and theme.

This marketing campaign is a bit odd though, since the boards around the construction site and the website have very different tones and feel to them.  Of course the website will give a better indication to the ride's feel, but it just feels...odd, almost like there was a change in idea or something.

Given this manipulation of the mind and stuff, the initial Victorian promotional image and this tunnel-looking structure, don't suppose this dark ride could be about manipulating the mind and perceptions in seeing the world in different eras, but all of it going horrificly wrong? I guess kind of like a matrix type thing where if you get stuck in a different time zone you will die and therefore need to escape. So the tunnel acts as the 'transporter' or 'machine' that manipulates the mind itself.

Given this manipulation of the mind and stuff, the initial Victorian promotional image and this tunnel-looking structure, don't suppose this dark ride could be about manipulating the mind and perceptions in seeing the world in different eras, but all of it going horrificly wrong? I guess kind of like a matrix type thing where if you get stuck in a different time zone you will die and therefore need to escape. So the tunnel acts as the 'transporter' or 'machine' that manipulates the mind itself.

Du du du dum, du du du dum, du du du dum, dum dum. Du du du dum, du du du dum, du du du dum. Wooohoooo oooh, oooh oooh oooh.

Etc etc...

This.Needs.To.Happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

... seeing the world in different eras,...you get stuck in a different time zone you will die and therefore need to escape. So the tunnel acts as the 'transporter' or 'machine' ...

giphy.gif

Looking at the building maybe that could work; two tunnels, one for each direction in time to get you out there and back.

These tunnels could have a mist effect if the ride is Doctor who (if the tunnels looks anything like the opening sequence, anyway). I guess I'll have to ride it quickly before the effect brakes.

That's a good idea, but going by most other effects at Thorpe I don't think it is worth them installing an effects based dark ride as they won't work after a few months. Just look at The Swarm.

but going by most other effects at Thorpe I don't think it is worth them installing an effects based dark ride as they won't work after a few months.

Well in one form or another that is what they are installing, so fingers crossed all round!

I'm still confused as to what that perfume or whatever thing meant. it has nothing to do with mind manipulation, and all the "dark secret" ads have a completely different design and aesthetic, compared to the current marketing. its really weird, I honestly can't see any of the IP's people have talked about being used, except doctor who really. but the marketing looks a bit too dark for a doctor who themed ride imo?? I honestly have no idea what the theme of this ride would be. but I'm looking foward to it, I guess 

Ive mentioned Madame Vastra (character in doctor who) before, and I'm just wondering, to link it back to whitechapel/jack the ripper, there was an episode where she "dealt" with jack the ripper and he wouldnt kill again, could it be based around what happened that night? Links the perfum bottle in, the eye I'm a bit lost with and the whole minds thing, but thats the only link with doctor who and jack the ripper I can see.

That's a good idea, but going by most other effects at Thorpe I don't think it is worth them installing an effects based dark ride as they won't work after a few months. Just look at The Swarm.

You mean like the fireball or the red lights on the train or the water spraying from the fire engine or the helicopter propellor or the Swarm sound effects as the train goes through the top of the church or the crashed ambulance light or the blinking lights on the advertisement board or the all the queue line TV's.

The only effects I couldn't see working was the water skim and the smoke in the plane. That's not too shabby for a company renowned for poor upkeep on effects.

A lot of the time on Swarm the effects aren't necessarily broken, just more turned off from a ride reset because in Swarms case it's better to have an open coaster than wait another 30 minutes for the engineers to reset the effects or something. Water skims have been unreliable so to say thanks to Picsolve and fire on the fire engine turn and water levels on the helicopter one.

Swarm, Inferno etc are still good without effects. They're not a necessity. On a dark ride they'd be much more of a necessity so more effort would be put into maintaining them. Yes there'd still be days where they don't all work properly but it wouldn't last more than a day ideally. I've done Twister in Florida where the Twister element didn't work. The cow was just magically flying.

You mean like the fireball or the red lights on the train or the water spraying from the fire engine or the helicopter propellor or the Swarm sound effects as the train goes through the top of the church or the crashed ambulance light or the blinking lights on the advertisement board or the all the queue line TV's.

The only effects I couldn't see working was the water skim and the smoke in the plane. That's not too shabby for a company renowned for poor upkeep on effects.

Was that over a long course of time or just on one day? Just because they were working when you went, doesn't mean they work all the time and I have had lots of visits this year when there have been barely any effects working at all around the ride.

For those who are linking it to Doctor Who/Madame Vastra but couldn't make the link to the eye: I remember watching Capaldi's first episode and the villains were these things who would steal organs/body parts from humans in order to allow them to blend in, and the main antagonist if you will had the area around one of his eyes exposed somewhat. 

half-face-deep-breath-stuggle.jpg

This probably has zero significance but it's what I thought of when reading through the last few pages.