2017 - New Junior Rides?

James Allgood

enterprise.jpg

Thanks to Southparks or whatever for the image

Does anyone remember when the original Zodiac made an appearance as a temporary ride bought from a local fair? Then when Tussauds decided to keep it, it was given a lavish paint job. Thats what I'd like to see here. 

I just miss the original Zodiac now, as unreliable as it was. :unsure:

22 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

The one at Chessington is manufactured by Zierer according to Wikipedia, so is a different ride.

Things like Sea Storm, Rainforest Rescue, the sort of rides you see in Thomas Land or Nickelodeon Land.  If the rides at Thorpe are given a complete overhaul to bring them up to theme park standards, I'll happily take what I've said back, but I think it's unlikely that much will happen beyond installing the rides.

Octopus Gardens could have been developed on the basis of remove a ride and replace, then repeat.  They could install a few rides for more adventurous families, such as one of the ones mentioned above.

Regarding Zodiac, Samurai and Detonator, they're not really of theme park standard IMO, but Detonator does its job well - Samurai used to when it ran properly!

Ah yes, my mistake - all the other Merlin RockNTugs are Zierer.  Though they have the same capacity and theoretical throughput, so I'd guess any differences are purely just down to how the manufacturers design the vehicle.

Many of the rides you suggest have similar issues to the ones spotted at Thorpe though surely?  Only a couple of them are truly designed for theme park environments, and many of them could still be seen on the travelling circuit.  Though yes, there are some rides you mention that do fit the bill!  

I guess the crux of all the discussion so far has been that people's opinions of these rides are hinging on whether or not they're themed to fit in with wherever they're going (again, assuming they'll be at Thorpe).  And I guess that's something we'll have to just wait and see on.  However, I do personally think that the rides themselves are attractions which Thorpe needed anyway, so in terms of the actual ride experiences, we're gaining a positive!

This clearly seems like that practice of just shoveling around leftover stuff to try appease the people complaining about the closed attractions at that end of the park. What does it matter if they're themed or not, will that really make these filler attractions interesting? No need to be concerned about nothing of no substance at all

I still can't see how the Tug can be Old Town themed if the two "new" rides are staying where they are - maybe it'll be changed into a giant pasty to match the pasty shop? :D 

My stance on the new old rides for 2017 is sceptical but intrigued... one thing is for sure, Old Town/Canada Creek needs some work doing to it for sure so if these new additions means that happens and accelerates things, then that can be no bad thing. But if the rides are just dumped there and look shoe-horned in and "Old Town" remains as is, then it'll be the biggest fail since DBGT "opening May 2016" ;)

Draytons Enterprise,  Floridas Storm Surge, Sealifes this stuff. Thorpe Park;  where other people's crap goes to die.

In fairness, Thorpe really does need some filler stuff like this. If they ever are going to actually get round to building a hotel they'll have to have established family appeal to fill it up. I'd be happy to see a proper little kids area spring up, hopefully with a strong coherent theme.

To add to above - I think Detty does it's job perfectly, very small footprint, high throughput, and packs a punch. I can't really see what else it can do? (Other than maybe have a second tower LOLZ). I've certainly seen worse "themed" drop towers than Detty, you leave her alone ;)

Thanks for that picture of Zodiac - looks very different there, wow!

Forgive my ignorance but are there many other thrill flat rides that Thorpe could get to fill gaps in the park? I can understand their hesitance to do so with S&S problems (as much as I love Slammer & Rush)

I am assuming they are not just using it for storage space like I believe they have done with Extremis and (Vengence?) in the past?

I guess they are ok filler attractions for a year or so though it seems that area is destined for a massive overhaul; though I think we all knew that already

I think Thorpe needs a new family-thrill coaster  - I know everyone wants something massive and intense - and thats fine - but Thorpe needs something to balance up their line-up!

examples would be

Dwervelwind at Toverland, Polar X-plorer at Legoland Billund, Die Schlange von Midgard at Hansa park  etc 

I personally do not think they have enough land/space at Thorpe Park to properly cater for both. I'm sorry Merlin, but if you want to appeal to the family market put your kiddie rides at Chessington, Lego Land or Alton Towers. Don't start back tracking and trying to move away from the "Thrill Seekers Capital" montage to, "hey, we have rides for children too"!!; all because you're still desperately trying to claw back as much money as possible from 2015. And the mot hilarious part of all of this is taking away the best ride on park for catering to all the family!!! 

I appreciate this is being terribly selfish of me, but no, kiddie rides be gone, start building us a new "thrill seekers" coaster please, just as you Market your theme park. Oh no wait, I forgot, this is what Merlin does, market a product to be something it's not and then throw their hands up in exasperation when everyone complains!!!!

Changing back to more families has nothing to do with Smiler though, just years of driving away the one demographic that actually spends money... Same thing happened with Six Flags in some cases...

Even at the height of thrill marketing families STILL visited the park, so there is a demand to add some attractions for them, although that wasn't realised by those in charge hence the constant removal and really badly thought out additions (Storm Surge, Angry Birds)... DBGT shows the utter confusion of direction too, as dark rides tend to be the best sort of family ride, yet the USP decided it must be scary and hence unsuitable for that market...

The parks are at a massive crossroads right now, just need some actual consideration to the future, which I fear is unlikely...

I would not necessarily say that families are the one demographic that spend money. Myself and my partner spend an utter fortune whenever we go (and we visit a lot), UF, beer, food ... and so is the case for a lot of adults from a certain age upwards. 

Yes of course think to the future, yes of course plan ahead, however this is far from that, it's a workaround to try and stop an area of the park from looking empty.

And I stick by my comment that they are limited with land available. I think a lot of regular punters would rather see said space being filled up with decent ride(s) opposed to 2nd hand kiddie rides. I am aware that I am being selfish and not thinking of the younger generation, but are said rides really going to give more value? Surely there is so much more for children to enjoy at Chessington, Lego Land etc, which are specifically designed for families. You don't see Merlin investing in a thrill seekers coaster at Chessington to draw in more of the market?! The USP for DBGT was always going to attract more people IMO compared to a family experience, but that's a whole other kettle of fish in terms of what they delivered. 

LEGOLAND is for kids, Chessie seemingly stuck in an even worse set of crossroads of confusion of direction as well... This splitting of the demographics to go to a specific park is also a problem (and kinda has been since Tussauds initially purchased Thorpe), as what do groups do when kids are bored of one but unable to experience the bigger attractions?

Families are more likely to spend more money on the higher ticket items like merch and what not... Plus more likely to buy sweets, drinks, etc in higher quantities... I'll never understand why families with babies visit the place, but they do, and I'll wager there's a fair amount of complaints that come with that due to a lack of things to do (especially for those kids who have to pay for entry but aren't tall enough for anything)...

Yes its awful that they cannot be bothered to think these additions through, but the park have been suffering for ages because of a distinct lack of customer spend and trying to get the disillusioned groups back into the park...

3 hours ago, Rach666 said:

I personally do not think they have enough land/space at Thorpe Park to properly cater for both. I'm sorry Merlin, but if you want to appeal to the family market put your kiddie rides at Chessington, Lego Land or Alton Towers. Don't start back tracking and trying to move away from the "Thrill Seekers Capital" montage to, "hey, we have rides for children too"!!; all because you're still desperately trying to claw back as much money as possible from 2015. And the mot hilarious part of all of this is taking away the best ride on park for catering to all the family!!! 

I appreciate this is being terribly selfish of me, but no, kiddie rides be gone, start building us a new "thrill seekers" coaster please, just as you Market your theme park. Oh no wait, I forgot, this is what Merlin does, market a product to be something it's not and then throw their hands up in exasperation when everyone complains!!!!

So then what about the families that have younger children who won't go on bigger rides and older people who want to go on the huge rides? Do they go to Chessington, which is meant to be for families, but let's be honest, isn't really a true family park (not to say it's strictly a kiddies park though) or LEGOLAND and the older child gets bored or go to Thorpe and the younger child gets bored? Thorpe should really be more like Alton, which was pretty much the perfect family park until last year.

The best time for Thorpe when it catered for all ages was around 2003.

The park then had two big coasters, four flats, a chute the shoot, X No Way Out and a drop tower for thrill seekers. Younger families had the farm, Octopus Gardens, the beach, Ranger County, the railway and the waterbuses.

Middle families had Canada Creek, the original Fish, the tea cups plus the Rapids, Pirates 4D, Eclipse and Depth Charge. The banana ride, Quantum & Zodiac can also be added.

The park at this time had the best consistency of family and thrill rides then and given the mixed atmosphere of RMC and Tussauds likely made for a great all round park atmosphere. Getting that consistency level back now may be more tricky, but it can be done as 2003 once proved. 

5 hours ago, Rach666 said:

My point is there is not enough space available for Thorpe Park to truly cater for the whole family!!! 

Alton Towers has the selection it does because the park is so big. 

I bet you would all be complaining if they started to remove older coasters and replaced them with a bunch of kiddie rides.

Nonsense, there's loads of parks smaller than Thorpe (in terms of ground space) that cater for the whole family.

The thing is, regardless of how much the park tried to push away families and exclusively target thrill seekers, families with younger children were still visiting.  And equally, people who wanted a bit more variety than just pure thrills were visiting and getting a bit fed up during their visit.

There's nothing wrong with exclusively targeting thrill seekers, but if people outside that market are still visiting - and then complaining there's nothing for them to do - it forces the park's hand a bit.

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:49 PM, Rach666 said:

My point is there is not enough space available for Thorpe Park to truly cater for the whole family!!! 

Alton Towers has the selection it does because the park is so big. 

I bet you would all be complaining if they started to remove older coasters and replaced them with a bunch of kiddie rides.

Phantasialand's existence basically destroys that argument... Any good park works within their limits to produce a quality result, and a small kid based flat ride is not going to demand the removal of say, Colossus... Far from it!

As Josh says, parks need variety, Thorpe lacks it because of having the majority of rides be thrill based or scary... It's part of that age old question of what can a park provide after eating lunch? Thorpe provides Angry Birds 4D or perhaps IAC as the answer, which clearly is the worst answer ever...

I don't think its a case of chucking back kiddie rides to appeal to families .......you need to do just that - add FAMILY rides that everyone can ride.... the type of rides that thrill seekers would enjoy as fun fillers to pad out their day, for families to all do together and for younger visitors to access and feel like they've done something 'scary. 

a family coaster is a must, maybe with dark ride elements that would satisfy the need to bring more theming to the park, a family flat or two would also be good - like a new generation polyp or Condor.

Another idea I had is - build a giant show building over Rhumba Rapids and turn it into a rapids/dark ride hybrid, projection effects, fake fire, etc - the investment only needed to go into the building and effects. 

• pluk unpinned this topic