The Zoo

• 1 month later...

After posting on Chessington's Facebook recently, it seems that we won't be getting any rides during zoo days this year.

Chessington Resort/ Hi Matthew,thank you for your lovely message. Our Zoo days include access to the Zoo and SEA LIFE centre but not our rides as they are being developed for 2014! Hope that answers your query and our animals look forward to seeing you soon!

Looks like we won't be getting any winter rides this year.

When I was a teen, I used to ride things like Vortex, Zodiac, Depth Charge and Tidal Wave all the time but as I've grown up I ride them less and less because they've either been trashed by the park or they aren't as fun as they once were.

I never thought I'd say that about an entire park as I generally love visiting Theme Parks and I've always had the rose tinted glasses on when it comes to Chessington.

The hell with them. They are an utter shambles and represent poor value and poor care for their customers. Whats the point of visiting a park that has the capabilities of running Seastorm, Bubbleworks and Safari Skyway but don't because of apparent refurbishment. The last time they took a spanner to Bubbleworks they trashed it and made it an abomination. It's laughable that they are using Runaway and Falls as reasons not to open these rides.

Developed?! What does that even bloody mean. :rolleyes:

I agree with the comments being made - up until this year I have enjoyed visiting Chessington.

This year they have gone completely downhill in every way possible. Rides closed, SBNO, theming falling apart, Zufari being a shambles (could have been a decent attraction, but the preshow, broken effects and tacky theming let it down greatly) and an awful replacement for Burger King - these are just a few of the many issues I have with the park this year.

- In the summer, at peak season they couldn't even be bothered to run their rides at even a suggestively high throughput.

- Vampire would have better operations if they left it to the monkeys out of the monkey enclosure (which is also a part of the park currently unavaliable to guests!!)

- Halloween event only open until 7pm

- No staff on the parking barriers on the way out, causing for long delays with only one barrier working (that didn't even work properly, causing long delays as it wouldn't scan the tickets. I Sent them an email of complaint about this, but got no reply).

Now, with Zoo days not including even the three small rides it included last year I have lost it with the park. I won't be visiting again for a while now unless they get their act together and actually make an effort.

Hopefully they will use the time that Bubbleworks is closed to sort the thing out - repaint the walls, new theming where needed and close the maintenance doors!

Chessington amazes me - it's the only park that after visiting for free (with a MAP), I still feel ripped off.

• 1 year later...

Really saddened to read about Ashok :(  I don't know the lifespan of lions in captivity but he will be missed regardless.  There is a lot of debate on the CWOA facebook page about animals in captivity - not sure how I feel about it.  I know the zoo keepers will be devastated as they must build up a rapport with the animals they look after.

I remember on one visit, Ashok was pacing up and down and looked pretty depressed - made me feel quite sad.  Another time I was stood near to the enclosure and it was either him or his female companion who has also passed away but whichever one it was roared - I've never moved so quick in my life!

RIP Ashok x

• 1 year later...