Nemesis Inferno

themeparkmad

I have been on Nemesis Inferno a few times without shoes, it really does depend on the member of staff because although from my experiences most of the time they let you go on without but then a few people have said that I have to wear them.

If having to wear shoes is health and safety then why are you allowed if you are wearing flip flops or something similar to take them off (I know its because they could fall off but what difference does it make if you have sturdy shoes and take them off)?

Think both rides are supposed to require shoes but depends on the staff as I have personally seen Nemesis at AT stopped on the bottom part of the lift hill when someone wasn't wearing shoes and a staff member took the persons shoes up to them.

No you haven't. Towers doesn't have any policy on wearing shoes on Nemesis, and they'll never stop it due to that. You're more than welcome to take them off as long as you don't delay the ride by doing so.

Inferno I believe it's due to the woodchipping at the bottom of the lifthill making uncomfortable and a splintery experience, however they should just do away with the rule. It slows everything down for pretty much no reason.

Yes but that's just lighting, I mean real fire effects. Considering it's supposed to be an "Inferno" it should have them. (Although this is Thorpe...)

Doesn't saw have fire effects on at fright night? Also swarm has a fire effect so I don't see any reason to stop nemesis inferno having them...

Yeah the mist is really good :D wonder how long it will last though? :/

Thorpe have been pretty darn good with effects the past couple of seasons in my opinion. The only time I've known there to be problems with effects recently is on Swarm when they were tweaking them around a bit last year (and I think the water spray behind the fire engine has been turned off). Don't see any reason why they won't last outright.

Doesn't saw have fire effects on at fright night? Also swarm has a fire effect so I don't see any reason to stop nemesis inferno having them...

Saw had fire effects on top of the shop in 2009 (and there used to be ones by the Asylum's sign as well around that time), don't think they've returned since then though.

The thing with Swarm's fire effect is it was designed to have the fire effect incorporated; it wasn't an after thought. It fits in perfectly. With Inferno, it would have to be shoe-horned in, and I can't see anywhere where it could nicely 'fit in' if you will. Personally, I just don't think it's necessary - unlike other rides with fire effects, it wouldn't add anything to the on ride experience (like it does with Swarm for example), or the spectator experience (like it does with Swarm and did with Tidal Wave).

So whilst there's no reason to stop Inferno having them, there's no reason to have them really..

Thorpe have been pretty darn good with effects the past couple of seasons in my opinion. The only time I've known there to be problems with effects recently is on Swarm when they were tweaking them around a bit last year (and I think the water spray behind the fire engine has been turned off).

The water spray was turned off for most of the 2012 season however when I rode swarm last week, it seemed to be working again. Also, the fire was going off nearly every ride, resulting in us getting it twice! Thorpe are doing well with effects this year, let's just hope thorpe can find some way of fixing tidal waves fire :)

Anyway, those, including me, who've been on Nemesis at Alton Towers, they may seem to think that maybe Inferno isnt such a great coaster, but in truth, its one of my favourite coasters on park! I mean, who could go wrong with the theming? A more natural looking volcano today, combined with different shades of red, black and green! Some of the best theming on a ride I'd say, along with THE SWARM and SAW. But some could say the theming and the actual ride experience mix very well...

Well as I said before, Nemesis Inferno is not trying to be any of those things. Posting a load of pictures from Google Images means nothing, hence I did it to prove that Nemesis Inferno bears no relation to real volcanoes. You can't really argue than an obviously fake, orange fibreglass rockface structure looks more realistic now that it has moss growing on it and damp damage.

To the vast majority of people it will look ugly and dirty, not real. It's like the argument that Colossus is supposed to look filthy because "it fits the theme" or that Rita's scaffolding is an improvement because it "fits the theme". If theme is about illusion, then this damaged facade is breaking the illusion.

It will go the way of Nemesis' station at Alton Towers if they don't maintain it properly. Or worse, Dragon Falls...

To be pedantic Nemesis Inferno is supposed to be an active volcano, hence the red lights and "smoke" in the tunnel, and all the original adverts depicting red rivers of lava. But obviously Thorpe Park didn't plan to build real rivers of lava..

I believe that if real fire was to be considered for inside a tunnel, then new air extraction would also have to be installed.

On SWARM, I am pretty sure that the flame emission from the fire engine is supposed to react to every seventh pass of the train.

We were in the queue line and we saw the fire going off nearly every ride. We got it 2ce when we rode forwards aswell!

• 2 weeks later...

Never seen this photo before... nemesis_inferno5.jpg

Just to add to the active vs dormant volcano debate, there is the issue of the original lava coloured wood chippings that were "flowing" around the coaster when it first opened.

In regards to the mossy station building I personally think it certainly looks like it needs a good clean at some point. :)

Sadly, the Merlin effect has come in to place I think, where older rides (especially coasters somehow) seem to be not terribly well pet. Though there are several coasters much louder for TLC (notably Colossus), Inferno could do with a nice clean up on the volcano, ride track and overall ride area.

To be fair, Inferno had its dispatch theme reinstated this season, new ambient lighting in the station, and improved mist in the tunnel.

I agree that they should never have been left to break in the first place, but it's not as if they've let it get to the same state as Loggers, RMT at Chessington, or Rita. Some of Merlin's rides are quite literally falling apart.

Inferno is actually in pretty good shape in my opinion!