Chessington General Discussion

Ash

So Chessington have posted a link on their facebook to their ebay page, where they are selling 1kg bags of 'High quality' Rhino dung.

e470b6add9b7ac31749633f4f2ec6708.png

This is the link to their ebay, just incase any of you are interested in buying the Rhino dung, for £20 ;)

Link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Rhino-Grow-High-quality-Rhino-Dung-from-Chessington-World-of-Adventures-Res-/121319453898

So went to Chessington today and have to say...

was very impressed.

Don't get me wrong when I say there are still major problems in the park which aren't so apparent when the park is quiet compared to busy. I'll start with some of the glaring problems then. Falls is terrible after the Dragon cave. It's like you go into this amazing piece of sculpting and re-emerge into the sunlight in a dump yard. Bits of metal everywhere, the backside of Tomb Blaster, the arse of the panning for gold game. It's not great and needs to be seriously improved. Secondly is Tomb Blaster. The middle half of the ride isn't working so it's just some very poor props moving occasionally. Sure that's all it was when it has guns working but at least it distracts you. The other thing is my gun wasn't shooting lasers but I still scored points. Very peculiar.

Okay onto the good stuff. I love, love, love the music that has been added to rides like Buccaneer and Seastorm. It makes the ride so much more interesting and its great stuff from the park that they are finally adding this stuff to the older rides. Secondly, the work being done at Rattlesnake is going well. The entrance snake has been polished up and looks all brand new with his little stack of dynamite. Some of the Mexican animatronics also look to have been refurbished and actually look great. Market Square looks absolutely sublime with its new look and the compass is the icing on the cake. Adored its refresh. Vampire's music is also much better with the pre-recorded announcements. Finally no more shouting down the PA by staff. The ride seemed to be running fine as well, our back row ride was very very enjoyable.

We took a trip into the refreshed Market Square shop. It looks great and some of the merchandise is much better then what has gone before. The resins are clearly a big hit for Merlin as Kobra and Zufari both had something.

10273429_10154094265060427_4851389429041

10154043_10154094265255427_8745624634924

And finally the new rides. Zufari is Chessington's No Way Out or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's trying so hard to be ambitious but just ends up looking silly. The Danger Cave is laughable and its attempt to be Kilimanjaro Safari fails on every level. We actually really liked Scorpion Express though and thought it was a decent enough attempt at redoing Runaway Train. It also seemed to be running very well too so maybe it got a proper refurbishment during its year out.

10154038_10154094265600427_6085616317778

We did take a look around the Zoo and all the animals seemed to be out. Creepy Caves looked the best it has done for years and the new Amazu area should look amazing when it does properly open.

10301971_10154094266105427_5685342061482

10259742_10154094264705427_7497374782063

So all in all a successful trip to Chessington. I somehow feel that despite all the criticism it has been getting, there is life in the old dog yet It managed to impress both of us massively.

So went to Chessington today and have to say...

was very impressed.

Hooray! Just visit and you realise the excessive internet negativity (not just on this website, oh no) is mostly misguided, cheap to post and pointless to read. It's actually so easy to have a good time at Chessington. Very glad you enjoyed it.

Of course the park isn't perfect and, very concerningly, has suffered visibly in some areas, but that doesn't mean it's got no life in it.

Please don't assume I'm only optimistic because I havn't had the same exposure as you. As the place that really inspired me to take up most of what I do with my life and where a lot of early memories were built, Chessington is a place I'm passionate about and I haven't seen this much new life in it for a decade. (And I'm not talking about recent rides like Zufari, which is poor. But with a reshuffled management team I'm more hopeful that disappointments like that won't repeat!)

Anyway, that's the last I'll be posting on here for a while. Time to turn off my computer and go outside. You can all cheer if you like.

Vampire is definitely being operated better than it has done during 2011/2012 which then were appealing. Hopefully the ride will continue to run this way through 2014 and the future. Who knows maybe we will see that third train back on the tracks some day.

Also the right was running pretty forceful when I rode, however made for a rather exciting ride experience IMO. The new dispatch announcements also work nicely.

Oh forgot to say, we had an amazing Rameses run, or it's either because the fountains aren't working to their full potential as they missed us completely, but the operator proceeded to close the window and the door and flung us into the wall of water, I have never been so wet...

Wouldn't go so far to call such operations insane whilst on two trains, but it sounds like an improvement at least...

The only way they could go was up really...

Insane in comparison to how I've seen it and heard about it in the past :P Fury was also on fairly decent operations for the most part where the trains weren't stacking, although they still at times had staff asking how people were in the queue holding up the line as well as employing the 'no four adults' in a car :( Rattlesnake also suffering to the same rule

Chessington was on good form yesterday... In all aspects! A very good day. :D My first ride on both Zufari & Scorpion Express as it was my first visit in 2 years. Both attractions were enjoyable and Scorpion Express's animatronic Scorpion is a nice centrepiece.

Now all we need is a ride that is *new* to appear in the next 2 years or so... (We've all been saying that for so long now..) :pardon:

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion