Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Anyone notice the awesome audio upgrades at Sea Lion Bay?

The park's most popular zoo presentation, has finally had the upgrade they've been requesting for so long! There are huge PA speakers lining the pool, and cable runs over the floor, all the way to the the creepy caves.

What's even nicer than the trip hazards, and large black, plonked speakers (come on, a bit of fishing net, a grill cover/and barrel SOMETHING themed, or at least attempted), is that all the old broken tatty speakers are still dotted around the area too.

It's this kind of attention to detail, and marks (well lack of), which makes Chessington such a jewel in Merlin's crown.

Hopefully, they'll sort Falls, Bubbles, and the joke that is Zufari too. The park is a total embarrassment, and Merlin need to address it..

This 'upgrade' is the least of their problems, but demonstrates how much the management give a crap. Jesus, they bang on to staff about standards, what a joke.

The park's biggest and most popular ride is something built in the 90's, which today under Merlin, is a shadow of itself.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems Merlin want more places to stay in Chessington as a planning application just went up to request permission to use the field west of Wild Asia for "glamping"... Apparently they want 35 tents, 2 ancillary tents, toilet buildings, storage, security and a play area. 

Some interesting files to look at on there ;) http://www6.kingston.gov.uk/propertyServices/planning/Details?caseNo=1510241

What do you guys think? 

Looks sufficient! Now the real question is, are these the proposed "Chessington Lodges" or the "Safari Camp"? The idea of tents would indicate that's it's the latter, but surely that would make more sense in the lawns north west of the Safari Hotel?

Ahh well, at least we know what we're getting.

Also, the consent is only temporary, stating that the tents will be present for a maximum of five years. Interesting.

Perhaps this is some Merlin magic master plan to upgrade all the hotels and turn the parks into Butlin style resorts.

It's a good plan because other than a great pool and evening entertainment (which is cheap and easy), Butlins don't have a zoo or theme park on site, so they'll never need to do anything to upgrade them.

I agree, but that site cannot ever be used for a coaster. That land is outside the park's major development boundary and is very close to a public footpath, meaning that noise restrictions would be a major issue. Not to mention the fact that its green belt land. The same applies for the picnic field south of Pirates' Cove and the Explorer Car Park.

The only sites really viable for major coaster are within the current boundaries of the park, which I'm sure you'll agree are all pretty cramped. Then there's the issue of height but that's a whole other story. The only locations really open for a coaster development are inside Land of the Dragons and obviously Toadie's.

Eurgh, what is it with Merlin and glamping?  

It'll probably work out well for them, since all things like this do for them.  I wonder if, given the temporary application, this is to test the water for a long term plan they've got (maybe like 'camping in a zoo' or something)?  Worth also noting that the tents will only be available between May and October.  

Because surely at somepoint, people will want new attractions to bring them to the park. Merlin are ao rubbish at adding hotels, hotel extensions, and smaller scale hotel additions like this, and the awful enchanted village.

When will chessington up their game? Seriously what will it take?

So... The original 7pm closing time during summer has now changed to 6pm throughout the whole of July and August.

Absolutely shocking considering both Legoland and Thorpe Park are open until 7pm during peak summer periods! Not only this, however to shorten hours after advertising differently is absolutely disgraceful and I wouldn't be surprised if the origin of these reduced opening hours are due to Merlin's budget cuts across the board.

To be fair they did extend it to 7 many times over the summer. Plus Chessington is always bad for opening hours like Towers so nothing new there. And opening times are subject to change and often do. Towers are always changing their ones. It's not disgraceful, especially as I doubt many of those who had booked knew it was open till 7 and if it's busy enough I'm sure they'll extend to what is necessary.

I don't think Merlin budget cut through the season, each park gets given their money or budget at the beginning and then they can do what they want. Probably means Chessington have overspent somewhere on staffing or something.

It's really shocking.

I'm gutted by this, its a massive shame, but I guess this will be one of many set backs and cost cuts put in place after The Smiler's crash. While it is a very disappointing move, you can't really blame them. The only thing that really baffles me is why was it Chessington over Legoland? I mean, the park's target audience aren't exactly going to be up for a full ten hours at a theme park surely? Whereas at Chessington, there's been a big demand for longer summer hours for ages.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion